It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can I Offend Gay or Black people in Cartoon Drawings and get away with it ?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 05:28 PM
link   
This is the part where we work out our problems. I don't believe in Jesus but didn't say to ban him until it was said about Carlin. Carlin IS my god. I have freedom of religion and the right to free speech. I wasn't upset when I typed it either nor am I now. Let's work on tolerance, it seems to be the root of the problem.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Stormdancer777

I lost the context in type I guess. I wouldn't ban Jesus. I feel that the Bible does a lot of good to keep people from Anarchy. It gives most a moral compass. I just don't believe in it myself. My family does but that's another story.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 05:31 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: LOSTinAMERICA

tolerance is a good thing

LOL if you guys could only hear me cussing sometimes while I am posting

edit on 053131p://bFriday2015 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 05:36 PM
link   

I think I posted on that topic. I've bought his material and have watched his stand up.

See how easy it is for people to get offended? I wanted to shed light on it and work on the issue. It was satire on my part. Maybe a little cynical. I'm not that bad of a guy, honest.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 05:38 PM
link   

lol none of us are all that bad I suspect.

If we met in person we would probably really get along just fine.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 05:45 PM
link   
a reply to: 0SolidSnake0

I think this OP is having a difficult time separating mocking a group of people from mocking an individual worshipped/idolized/respected by a group of people. Also this:

pretty much about every damn thing people online take gross offense and build into a huff over which doesn't directly involve death, injury, dismemberment, heartbreaking loss, or tangible victimization of an individual or group.

In other words, WORDS! My God... WORDS, WORDS, WORDS! Combinations of letters into syllables that make sounds which combine into recognizable patterns of speech for the purpose of exchanging ideas and communicating. WORDS! Fun fact, 100 years ago I could throw a bundle of sticks called a fag onto a fire. Today I take one stick and, if in the UK, use it to light my fag... tobacco rolled up in smoking paper, commonly called a cigarette in other parts of the world. WORDS! WORDS! WORDS! They do not harm anyone who decides to simply take them for what they're worth, either sounds when spoken or squiglies on a page when written... When will the world quit swallowing camels whole while choking to death on gnats?

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Some of us can be. I try to apologize if I do make a fool out of myself. I'm sure I will a few times here. Sometimes I'll post in a different perspective than I really believe to progress the topic. Those are fun in a devil's advocate sort of way. I am realizing more and more about taking context wrong in type like college told me. I'm better for reading and analyzing things here. There are some sharp cookies on the boards. They always set me straight but sometimes it'll take a day or two to process it. Not saying there's just some plain out wrong posts is an understatement. I probably add to them also. Can't be right all the time.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 05:51 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Pretty much. I liked the Monty Python rendition of your posting. British humor, you either love it or hate it. I love it!

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Jesus, I hate what I post, when I come by an old post I cringe

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 05:53 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

but burdman, the word is Sharper than any double-edged sword,

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Have you ever watched "Family Guy"?........Gays/Blacks/Politicians/Religion....all satirised mercilessly

Nobody murdered in cold blood because of Family Guy as far as I know.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 06:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jamie1
No, the problem is this:

is used to justify mass murder.

Who is justifying mass murder???? The murderers are dead. How is that justifying murder?

You know this is not about Free Speech , yet you keep posting that stupid picture, as if it means something. It does not. No one's free speech has been threatened.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 06:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

I wouldn't give them the satisfaction of taking my free speech away. I might even get petty about it.
edit on 9-1-2015 by LOSTinAMERICA because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 04:30 AM
link   
Santaclaus= Nail On Head.

Im not a big person I've dealt with "ducks disease", and any number of other short person jokes all my life, but generaly they were never aimed at me in an insulting way unless, I decided to take it that way, in which case it was my own descision to be offended. Same goes for most I would think. Im Australian and I have aboriginal people in my extended family, we joke and there is no offence taken, simply becuase we know there is no offence intended, that seems to really be the difference, not being offended when you want to believe there is no ill intent and then choosing to be offended when it serves another purpose. My aboriginal family members can take (and give) it, but another who dosen't know me, or my intent, can choose to interprit it however they want, and, if they want bad, then bad it is and Im in trouble.
Unfortunately, "freedom of speech" is made complicated by "freedom of interpritation".
Australians and the English are very good at using the most degrading or insulting statements to actually convey a compliment, and yet one day I called a German backpacker "Fritz" and he nearly had a fit, "DONT CALL ME FRITZ!!"
Naturally I said "sorry Fritz".....because I liked him.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 04:36 AM
link   

You give an example of social consequences for saying something that society disapproves of.

This is a rational response to someone saying something you disagree with, especially society in general.

Killing someone over saying something you disagree with is not rational.

There is no comparison to be had imo.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 07:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
a reply to: Hecate666

I think you make a good point, but some would say that gender, sexuality and even to some extent nationality can all be a "choice"

Some people believe that you can chose your sexuality but they are basically wrong. Not only has science come up with prove lately [sorry have no time to find link at the moment ;(] but they have obviously never known homosexuals, listened to their suffering or had a family member killing themselves because of prejudice [nobody kills themselves because they are pretending].
The best I can say is, that if it were true that you can chose your sexuality it would be quite easy for them to get swayed from their heterosexuality. Which of course they would vehemently deny because they would say they were born hetero [and shoot themselves in the foot doing so].

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 02:20 AM
link   

There is a level where caricatures are meant to shed light on serious issues by providing humor.

There is a point at which satire becomes a weapon of discrimination.

There is also a point where images become propaganda and tools of vilification.

It is a subjective issue, but the "unbiased" reporter should have the ability to know how his material will be received.

There is also a point where such communications are intentional attacks on certain groups.

This is not good practice for those responsible for providing us information about the affairs of the world.
edit on 12-1-2015 by SystemResistor because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 03:08 AM
link   
You may have freedom of speech, but not all speech promotes liberty and justice for all.
"Turn the other cheek"
"love thy neighbour as thyself"
"love ye thy enemies"
"love is patient love is kind".

It's creepy how removed the world is becoming from Love/God. I hope people become more loving rather than trying to hurt each other.

Peace.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Here is the real question you should be asking.

If you walk into *for example* a black neighborhood and yell out "I hate *racial slur*!".

Now after doing so lets say you are physically attacked, or killed.

Are the one's who attacked terrorists? Why or why not?

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join