It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can I Offend Gay or Black people in Cartoon Drawings and get away with it ?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 03:49 PM
link   
The pc crowd would scream for blood and crucify you ..

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

Yes they would not get you killed, they should not get you killed, just like drawing pictures of the prophet should not get you killed.

Yet they are all just as offensive, but for some reason our society does not mind seeing a picture of the prophet Mohammed being labelled as a "bully" but get out raged when the head of Moxial (to use the OPs example) wants to ban gay marriage.

They point i am trying to make is that is just as offensive to draw a picture of the prophet Mohammed as it is to say all homosexual are paedophiles who deserve to go to hell. Yet as a society we seem to tolerate one but not the other when really we should be out-raged by both.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 03:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Expat888
The pc crowd would scream for blood and crucify you ..
But not LITERALLY draw your blood and crucify you, that's important to note.

CX

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 03:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
Why does one want/need to offend anyone? Pretty shallow life if that is one's objective imo.

Just about to post those exact words.

Just imagine a world where we didn't go out to purposely offend someone?

CX.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 03:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Yes they would not get you killed, they should not get you killed, just like drawing pictures of the prophet should not get you killed.

Yet they are all just as offensive, but for some reason our society does not mind seeing a picture of the prophet Mohammed being labelled as a "bully" but get out raged when the head of Moxial (to use the OPs example) wants to ban gay marriage.

They point i am trying to make is that is just as offensive to draw a picture of the prophet Mohammed as it is to say all homosexual are paedophiles who deserve to go to hell. Yet as a society we seem to tolerate one but not the other when really we should be out-raged by both.
I think everyone needs thicker skin, is what I'm trying to say. People today are way too offended way too easily. It's ridiculous. Like the case of a law student who asked a professor not to use the word "rape" in his law lectures because it offended her. Oh freaking grow up already. The world is an offensive place, live with it damnit.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

I wouldn't be surprised if Sir Elton turned up and threw a great big tantrum though.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 03:56 PM
link   

I totally agree that people need a thicker skin but our society is what it is.

All i am saying is that it is hypocritical to have a society where we say "don't publish something racist" because it will offend a ethnic group, yet it is ok to publish something that is blasphemous and will deeply another group in society.

The big difference as we keep saying is that only one of those groups will kill you for it.

So what we need is to recognise that we are causing offence and stop it like we stopped offending homosexuals a few decades ago yet at the same time promote the teachings and practices of Moderate Muslims in Muslim communities and stamp out the radical sects. The first part of that is much easer than the second.

edit on 9-1-2015 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 04:03 PM
link   

I totally agree that people need a thicker skin but our society is what it is.

All i am saying is that it is hypocritical to have a society where we say "don't publish something racist" because it will offend a ethnic group, yet it is ok to publish something that is blasphemous and will deeply another group in society.

The big difference as we keep saying is that only one of those groups will kill you for it.

So what we need is to recognise that we are causing offence and stop it like we stopped offending homosexuals a few decades ago yet at the same time promote the teachings and practices of Moderate Muslims in Muslim communities and stamp out the radical sects. The first part of that is much easer than the second.
I agree society is hypocritical in this regard, and if that is the point you were trying to make then point made and taken.

But a line has to be drawn somewhere, like tomorrow I could make up religion that says depictions of people in banana costumes are punishable by death. I could go and spread my banana religion to the people, and preach that we should put those who draw banana suits under our righteous swords, as our banana-y prophet has dictated that no graven images of bananasuits are allowed. Should the rest of the civilized world suddenly stop drawing people in bananasuits because my small religion finds it punishable by death?

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 04:07 PM
link   
It's not okay to make fun of someone, or draw offensive cartoons if they are born that way and can't help it. That would include those with disabilities, homosexuals, any minority or anyone born in any country of origin or making fun of someone because of they're parents...non of us can choose those things.

Making fun of someone for consciously joining a cult of violence and hatred, whether it be Christianity or Islam or Scientology...that's a different matter.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 04:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Jamie1

This picture is nonsense, it is not what is getting Muslims offended. Things like these are what offend muslims :

wp.production.patheos.com...

asylum.rydas.com...

Huge difference.

a reply to: dam00
a reply to: Stormdancer777

My point from all of this is; the Drawings Do not justify the Attack. AND the Attack DOES NOT Justify the Drawings, just because it is a muslim prophet Does NOT make it more of a freedom of speech than offending the gay community or the African-American community.
Je ne suis pas Charlie . I am not Charlie, I am Ahmed the dead cop. Charlie ridiculed my faith and culture and I died defending his right to do so. #JesuisAhmed
edit on 9-1-2015 by 0SolidSnake0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 04:12 PM
link   

and get away with it

Depends on what you mean by it.

A person can voice their view on anything. Other people have the right to agree or disagree with it. People may or may not associate with you in life or business based on it. Their call just as it is your call when dealing with some other person's opinion.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Yes you can. But why would you want to? What would you get out of it?

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 04:24 PM
link   

That Lil wayne is a true poet. Has a way with words..."while i'm getting my brain"...???

Right there....this exposes us all...he has fans

Freedom of speech has a double edge sword

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 04:24 PM
link   
You can say and draw whatever you want. The level of sensitivity in society today is absolutely ridiculous. Is it morally arguable that hurting someone's feelings when they've done nothing wrong makes you a crappy person? Sure. Should that change your ability to do it? No!

You're not allowed to kill people or injure them physically. Hurting someone's feelings is completely subjective. I am not limited by what you like or don't like, and you never will limit me.

I do open mic comedy every week, and I slander EVERY race, EVERY religion, EVERY sexuality.. But its funny, because the entire time, I'm making fun of myself too. Its SATIRE.. Its not meant to hurt, but there are logical fallacies out there that need addressing in every walk of life. If you seriously go home feeling horrible about something someone else has said, you're either giving their words too much credence, or you need to work something out in your life.
edit on 1/9/15 by SantaClaus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 04:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: 0SolidSnake0

Here is my question. If I worked at a newspaper in the united states, what would the backlash be if tomorrow I were to publish a cartoon drawing making fun of gay people, and using a slur ? What would be the backlash if I were to make fun of Black people and use a Racial slur, or even a variation of it that is used by most of the black people community (nigga). Would I be fired from my job ? be forced to resign ? Would these communities and other supporters go crazy over this and start calling me a racist and a homophobic ? I know for a fact I would get beat up beyond recognition If I walked in a Black people community.
Where are your freedoms of speech now ?

So All of this in one sentence : Can I Offend Gay or Black people in Cartoon Drawings and get away with it ? why ?

From the statement that "Congress shall make no law... abridging the freedom of speech" it does not necessarily follow that you won't get fired, shunned or beaten up by your fellow citizens for the offensive things that you say.

Freedom of speech, according to the Constitution, has to be respected by the government, not by everybody else.

If you offend gay or black people with your speech (or art or whatever), some of them may be offended, but you're unlikely to go to jail.

And while there are primitive, backward psychopaths who also happen to be black and/or gay, there is no organized movement of such antisocial freaks in the black or gay communities (as opposed to the Muslim community), so your life would probably not be in much danger.
edit on 9-1-2015 by muchmadness because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: 0SolidSnake0
It's one thing to lose a job over something like this and another completely to be killed. Don't mix up the two.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Being bullied make me stronger. I stood up to it because the ass beatings were getting old. Seriously though, I was bullied by this kid who was 3 years older than me in Middle School. I seen him get hit by a car on fenkell in Detroit. I went over and picked him up to get him out of the street so he didn't get hit again and called 911. A couple months later, he came over my house and apologized for the bullying. He asked me why I did what I did. I told him it was the right thing to do. He became a friend after that. I never was bullied in High School.

Here's the point. I didn't cry to my dad or the school. I didn't hold it in, I learned how to fight. Maybe you are stiffing self esteem and drive by babying them. I don't know for sure but it worked for me. If I shot everyone who offended me, I'd be either dead or serving multiple life sentences. I don't see your feelings being a catalyst to hurt or kill someone. I never will. You don't get a license to kill. So, grow a thicker skin. Shrug the words off. You gave those words power. It's all in your mind.

Should you have the right to joke about blacks or gays? Go right ahead. Tell some Irish or Indian jokes, I can take it. Sweating the small # is a sure fire way to get yourself hurt or wrapped into what we have today.

I'll leave you with a nursery rhyme: Sticks and stone will break my bones but names will never hurt me. Everyone forgot!
edit on 9-1-2015 by LOSTinAMERICA because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 04:47 PM
link   
a reply to: jonnywhite

Both is too extreme for me.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Yes it is wrong to justify murder because "the drew a offensive picture of our prophet"

But at the same time, it was wrong to draw the picture in the first place.

Yous should send your resume into the Thought Police.

I hear they're hiring.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: LOSTinAMERICA

Perfect point. Weak sensibilities make for weak people. We are a nation that can no longer accept a loss, so we act like we're always winning. It makes for obnoxious people with inflated pride.

Being ridiculed definitely hurt my feelings, but just like a broken bone, they grew back a little stronger each time.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join