It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

28 House Democrats Defy Obama, Join GOP to Pass Keystone

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 10:36 PM
link   
a reply to: TheArrow

Do you think Obama's veto of the pipeline will be over-ridden?

assuming he does veto it.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 10:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aleister
They were probably given permission from the party leaders to do this, depending on the district they represent and want to be reelected to. A little while ago I thought Obama would have to give in on this, but it's seemed, from recent news reports, that he'll veto the Keystone bill when it comes to him. The GOPers can then moan and groan and dance around in angry faces, leading to the observation that the passage of bills like this plays out a well-known and shopworn kabuki dance.

I wouldn't count on it...Sounds like there may be enough total votes to over ride a veto...

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 10:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

Do you think Obama's veto of the pipeline will be over-ridden?

assuming he does veto it.

Why make assumptions. I dealt in reality.

Reality is Obama has destroyed The GOP's obstructionist House, decimated Putin, and is going to hand the White House over to whichever Democrat gets the nod in 2016. Even if Keystone gets built, shale oil is too expensive to pull out of the ground.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 11:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
a reply to: HUMBLEONE

The Pipeline Poses Minimal Risk to the Ogallala Aquifer

I don't care how small the risk is it isn't worth it. We rely on that aquifer for our food. Now is lining the pocket of a small amount of people worth the risk?

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Reality is Obama has destroyed The GOP's obstructionist House, decimated Putin, and is going to hand the White House over to whichever Democrat gets the nod in 2016. Even if Keystone gets built, shale oil is too expensive to pull out of the ground.

Reality?
What color is the sky in your world?

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 08:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010
I don't care how small the risk is it isn't worth it. We rely on that aquifer for our food. Now is lining the pocket of a small amount of people worth the risk?

This is the type of dogmatic, my way is the only way type of voice that isn't worth listening to at all. An expert tells you it looks fine but you refuse to even consider it. The alternative transport methods are much more dangerous but STOP THAT PIPELINE NO MATTER WHAT!!! The fact that your food is sprayed and injected with so many chemicals legally by producers that want to preserve it and keep it colorful isn't even a thought. That pipeline must be stopped no matter what, but don't worry about how I get the gas to drive my car or the plastic to carry my groceries home or a million other conveniences in my life.

Passion for a subject is great...but it needs logic and research to find a solution that works for everyone in the world. You can't simply say no, you have to provide an alternative. "Not in my backyard" isn't a solution.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 08:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheArrow
Even if Keystone gets built, shale oil is too expensive to pull out of the ground.

Keystone isn't for 'shale oil' by the way...it's to transport 'tar sands' oil.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 09:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: noeltrotsky

This is the type of dogmatic, my way is the only way type of voice that isn't worth listening to at all. An expert tells you it looks fine but you refuse to even consider it. The alternative transport methods are much more dangerous but STOP THAT PIPELINE NO MATTER WHAT!!! The fact that your food is sprayed and injected with so many chemicals legally by producers that want to preserve it and keep it colorful isn't even a thought. That pipeline must be stopped no matter what, but don't worry about how I get the gas to drive my car or the plastic to carry my groceries home or a million other conveniences in my life.

Passion for a subject is great...but it needs logic and research to find a solution that works for everyone in the world. You can't simply say no, you have to provide an alternative. "Not in my backyard" isn't a solution.

I don't care what just one expert says there are other experts that says the opposite of what he says does their opinion not matter? You also need to start paying a little bit more attention the oil from this pipeline is for export only not for domestic use so your gas to drive my car or the plastic to carry my groceries home or a million other conveniences in my life statement is nothing but hot air.

The ONLY reason this pipeline is being run is to line the pockets of the people who own the oil companies. So do you think it is a good use of American tax payer dollars to build a pipeline that America will get nothing out of not even tax dollars so a small group of people can make even more profit? Also I do not have to provide a alternative for something that is not needed so not in my backyard is a solution.
edit on 10-1-2015 by buster2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Even if Keystone gets built, shale oil is too expensive to pull out of the ground.

Yes the trashiest dirtiest most toxic oil on the planet.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Yes, they should stop digging those mountains of it .
Earth, the eternal poisoner.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 10:40 AM
link   
The tar sands oil delivered to the gulf coast will be purchased and processed by U.S. refineries and will be distributed based on market demands. It will not be for 100% export.

In other words, at least half of the oil that is refined on the Gulf Coast stays in the United States. Market conditions could change, of course, but there is little basis to claim that virtually all of the product would be exported. (The Fact Checker has previously noted that, contrary to the claims of advocates of the project, Keystone XL is unlikely to have much impact on gasoline prices.)

Washington Post

The refined Tar Sands Oil will not be put in special tanks labeled "For Export Only".

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Ah the rabid, foaming mouth of dogma founded in falsehoods. Can't argue with it!

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Yeah Transcanada has an awesome safety record with spills....NOT.

In just one year.

840,000 gallon spill in Michigan

250,000 gallon spill outside Chicago

1.3 million gallon spill in Alberta, as well as our recent report examining the safety of tar sands pipelines.

On May 7, the Keystone tar sands pipeline provided yet another warning when it spilled approximately 21,000 gallons of crude in North Dakota.

The spill occurred at a pump station when a ¾-inch pipe fitting broke, sending a 60 foot geyser of tar sands crude into the air. At approximately 6 am, a nearby landowner saw the column of crude rising above the treeline and called TransCanada’s emergency number – where operators apparently initially thought he was joking.

Audit of TransCanada finds deficiencies in pipeline safety 2015

TransCanada has responded to all this by saying that pump station leaks don't count.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

Darn...you got us!

Oh, just a second. Moving Oil causes spills no matter how you move it. So either don't move Oil or move it the safest way possible.

www.fraserinstitute.org...

And the safest way to move Oil is??? Yup, pipelines!

Oh that was so close! The big numbers and pictures sure fooled some though...good job!

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: noeltrotsky

It is only safe when a company adheres to safety. Transcanada does not.

“The board notes that a number of the allegations of regulatory non-compliance were identified and addressed by TransCanada only after the complainant’s allegations were made and were not proactively identified by the company’s management system,” the energy board noted.

Hey but Transcanada promises they will do better. They want us to trust them and I don't.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

Now that's a reasonable argument! Good step forward!

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 09:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: dukeofjive696969
but hey the right wingers got there way right, lol.

Seems the left-wingers did too, since they voted for it.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 11:34 PM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

How is it going to cost more jobs when it's going to take people to build and maintain it.

I can't answer fully, but the total permanent (maintenance) jobs are around 35. Yes, that is right: thirty five.

How many farmers put off their land before that huge total is wiped out?

Do you include spill cleanup crew as job 'creation'?

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 12:12 AM
link   
a reply to: rnaa

I read somewhere there would be 50 permanent jobs. I know big whoop.

Another big problem I have with the pipeline is that the government is going to use eminent domain to seize private property for a private company that isn't even a US company. Seriously WTF.

A rancher and his cows gets an armed protest but seize thousands of miles from hundreds of people and barely a squeak.

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 01:34 AM
link   

What have you got against cleaning up sand? why do you hate mother earth?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join