It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

28 House Democrats Defy Obama, Join GOP to Pass Keystone

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 03:34 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Im sorry im missing your point.

But hey make more money for china with amercian tax dollars right.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 03:35 PM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

How exactly is it going to cost more jobs then it creates when there are no jobs for it at the moment? Logically that doesn't make sense.

How is it going to cost more jobs when it's going to take people to build and maintain it.

Theres much more involved w a pipeline then you presume I think

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 03:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: stirling
It would be a revelation to get the inside story as to why these Dems voted the wrong way......
Seems theres a severe discipline problem in the party....

There is an easy way to find that out. Find out which Dems voted for it then go here OpenSecrets.org type their name in and see who's back pocket they are in.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 03:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask
a reply to: buster2010

How exactly is it going to cost more jobs then it creates when there are no jobs for it at the moment? Logically that doesn't make sense.

How is it going to cost more jobs when it's going to take people to build and maintain it.

Theres much more involved w a pipeline then you presume I think

You really haven't thought this out have you? When it is built all the railroad and trucking jobs won't be needed anymore so all those jobs will be gone. Also all the construction jobs that was created when it was built will be gone. The Native Americans don't want it to go through their lands. The farmers that rely on the aquifer that it will run across don't want it because of the chance to poison the water. Here is a interview with Bernie Sanders talking about the pipeline.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 04:08 PM
link   
This is just dumb in my opinion. The few benefits for the nation do not supersede the negative aspects. This pipeline will create some temporary jobs, but they are just that, temporary. The main benefits will be felt across the border. Of course I'm sure that big oil will make a killing, but again this will not help the nation as a whole. This entire deal will make the rich richer, and that is essentially the problem with those in power. They raise themselves at the expense of the nation as a whole. Of course the republicans support this, because their party goes hand in hand with big oil for the most part; I mean just look at the oil ties of many prominent republican leaders. What does surprise me is that so many democrats have supported this. Both parties have problems, and both essentially have their own groups to please. The right pleases big oil, big finance, etc., while the left is out to please other groups. Politicians are essentially all the same, and no matter who is president the rich will continue to gain wealth at the expense of the average citizen. Changing the party in power can have some big effects, but the former aspect I mentioned will not change as long as the current system remains.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Cui bono, who stands to gain. Let's see. Keystone XL Pipeline is going to make the Koch Brothers money. It probably won't be the 100 billion that was reported and then debunked but you can bet it's still big money.

Koch Brothers - Forbes

The pipeline is to make it easier to get oil out of CANADA. Why can't CANADA run a pipeline within their own country? Landowners are environmental agencies are getting together to fight it. Why is that? Here is some context on that subject.

Final Supplemental Environmental Impact Statementfor theKeystone XL Project

Keystone XL would support 42,100 direct and indirect jobs during construction of the pipeline contributing to approximately $2 billion in wages throughout the United States. So, it will create job short term but what about maintaining the pipeline?

Myths and Facts

Ultimately Canada will still be fracking and destroying their environment. It will get passed. There's pockets being lined. A fight will show he has no respect for his party. He won't being doing that. Personally, I think Canada can run the pipeline through their own country. There's little gain and it casts a shadow on environmental issues. I know the people around where it will be put don't want it. That's good enough for me.

Thanks for making me read up on this issue. Now I know and knowing is half the battle G.I. Joe!!!

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 04:20 PM
link   
So the threat of new oil supply has caused OPEC countries to flood the market driving the price of a barrel of oil down so fracking is uneconomical. Any supply added to the market not only benefits consumers, but anything we can do to minimize the need for dealing with OPEC countries is a good thing for national security.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Most of the pipeline is already paid for and needs to be put in the ground where you will never hear about it again.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 04:42 PM
link   
a reply to: mikell

Until there's a breach.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Wow the truth of the whole Keystone project sure has been spun hard! Let me see...

1. Oil spills so don't build a pipeline. Truth: It's the safest way to deliver a critical product in the world economy.
2. Not for sale in America anyway. Truth: It's for sale to whoever wants it. Due to being refined in the US the price for the US is highly competitive.
3. Increased greenhouse gas emissions by 'dirty oil sands'. Truth: The Oil will be extracted if needed no matter if there is a pipeline or not. In fact, the pipeline reduces emissions created by other transport methods.
4. Why doesn't Canada run a pipeline in their own country! Truth: They are...one to the West coast and another to the East coast. Still need more pipelines because there is LOTS of oil to sell.
5. Not many jobs in it for America! Truth: Lots of construction jobs and a few maintenance jobs to boot. No, a pipeline isn't labor intensive like making toys. It's efficient. Yes less trains and trucks will be running the tracks and highways. Sounds a lot safer so losing those dangerous jobs is actually a good thing.

Missing arguments...
1. Oil access is what started the war between the US and Japan. Building a connection to the closest friend the US has and the huge supply of Oil they have is strategically much better than relying on the Saudis.
2. The huge refineries on the Gulf Coast NEED heavy oil to process. They currently buy it from the Saudis for the most part. Nothing like relying on one supplier for a mult-billion dollar industry. Ever think it might be why the only planes flying just after 9-11 carried Saudis out of America while you sat in an airport twiddling your thumbs?

Americans had better really evaluate if they want to snub Canada and refuse strengthening the Oil business between the countries. Since the Keystone delay started China has been dumping billions into Canadian Oil patch companies. State owned Chinese Oil companies. They have Billions more and want to secure supply. They pump it, they own it. Canada has opened the door wider to Chinese investment with agreements to secure those investments...all during the Keystone delay.

In reality the damage between the US and Canada may already be too deep to reverse. Oil runs a country and it's military. The US by snubbing a close Oil trading relationship with Canada will only have a fallback position of invading the country should the Saudis stop selling and wartime demands for Oil require it.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 04:58 PM
link   
a reply to: noeltrotsky

1. Oil spills so don't build a pipeline. Truth: It's the safest way to deliver a critical product in the world economy.

Then why doesn't Canada send the pipeline through Canada? Are there facts to that quote or is it someone with an agenda typing it. I'll admit I do not have the credentials to critique it. There's water tables to take into consideration. There's land grabs that need to be taken under consideration. Not to mention Reservations. You going to have another trail of tears for someone elses oil? I know, that last one was a little over the top but it was funny. Anyone with the credentials want to help out?

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 05:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheArrow
A pipeline we don't need to pump shale oil that is too expensive to produce.

Nice work, congress.

AND right UNDER THE MAJOR FRESH WATER AQUIFER FOR THE MID WEST U.S.
edit on 9-1-2015 by HUMBLEONE because: Thanks

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 05:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: LOSTinAMERICA

Then why doesn't Canada send the pipeline through Canada?

I think you missed point #4 in my post. That's ok, most people don't finish long posts...I know.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 05:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: HUMBLEONE

originally posted by: TheArrow
A pipeline we don't need to pump shale oil that is too expensive to produce.

Nice work, congress.

AND right UNDER THE MAJOR FRESH WATER AQUAFER FOR THE MID WEST U.S.

www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2011/10/03/what-are-the-risks-of-the-keystone-xl-pipeline-project/the-pipeline-poses-minimal-risk-to-the-ogallala-aquife r

just delete the space at the end between the e and r in aquifer

The author is only a hydro geologist....what does he know about aquifier right?
edit on 9-1-2015 by noeltrotsky because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 05:21 PM
link   

It's all good. I can take you calling me stupid...I know. But thanks for pointing that out.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 05:22 PM
link   
a reply to: HUMBLEONE

Technically it will be over it.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Where did you find the link?

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 05:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: LOSTinAMERICA

Where did you find the link?

Just a google search with aquifer and keystone. I didn't mean to call you stupid btw! Long posts are nasty to read and I skip them at the first sign of stupidity.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 05:40 PM
link   

I read the same thing but forgot number 4. It was at the link. So I rabbit read past the numbered points and went for number one. I still have my theories if the stories are true or not. I guess more research will uncover the truth. Trying to keep up on topics here is getting in the way. It's all good.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 05:48 PM
link   
a reply to: LOSTinAMERICA

With over 2.5 million miles in the ground how many leaks do you hear about??

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join