It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Democrats and Republicans agree: It’s a perfect time for a gas tax hike

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 05:54 PM
When Democrats and Republicans agree on something THAT is when you really wanna pay close attention.

These people will do anything to destroy any vestige of relief we could possibly get from lower gas prices.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 07:17 PM
a reply to: Stormdancer777

Speaking of Mars ... Someone needs to figure out how to colonize it because I don't even want to live on this planet anymore.

Sooner or later, we'll all stop moving and they'll have to subsidize all of us to keep us going. That's the real zombie apocalypse.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 07:26 PM
a reply to: olaru12

This will hurt the corporations too. They have to pay for the fuel they use and are taxed on that.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 09:03 PM
a reply to: neo96

And all of this is somehow a surprise? I think PT Barnum would know what to say about this.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 09:59 PM

originally posted by: ketsuko

This will hurt the corporations too. They have to pay for the fuel they use and are taxed on that.

Are you serious? I'm a business man and I pass on my added expenses, from fuel to raw materials to the consumer just like any corporation whether in manufacturing or the service industries. And most of the time I'm still in a position to suck out that disposable income that plenty of Americans still have. Perhaps a little research....

edit on 9-1-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 10:20 PM

The ONLY way I can support a tax increase on gas is if it is clearly mandated that the revenue generated goes to infrastructure and ONLY infrastructure.

Otherwise it's nothing but a drop in the bucket as far as the deficit goes and ends up a just another vote getting, pork barrel funding opportunity for either party.

Taxes are acceptable to fix specific problems/needs and cease if those needs aren't ongoing like infrastructure.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 10:24 PM

A business can only raise its rates so much before it loses customers because the consumers cannot pay. They have three options: raise rates, cut expenses, eat some of it, go out of business. Usually, they opt for some combo of the first three. So, yes costs do get passed on to consumers, but only some of them. The rest they have to figure out how to compensate for internally, and that does hurt them. Even raising prices hurts them in an indirect way when they have to buy goods and services from other businesses who also had to raise prices.

I am not spectacularly stupid.

edit on 9-1-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 10:40 PM
hmm... good... though there shouldn't be a gas-tax increase just yet...

there should be an oil-tariff,

simply tax the importation of oil from the middle-east.
edit on 9-1-2015 by NonsensicalUserName because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 10:50 PM
While macroscopically, an opportunity to raise tax represents a way to balance fiscal budgets and keep your funds tight to "keep you working" the difference is so small that if anything, for our economy, merely seeing a price as low as 2 dollars and change will do more for the economy using the real economic forces of motivation and perceived opportunity in low gasoline prices to drive us.

Maybe their big fear is deflation?

If food prices actually begin to drop, money stops devaluing and the ever grinding human blender called our economy slows down as people begin perceiving that they don't have to work 16 hours a day to afford dropping prices?

edit on 2015 by BlubberyConspiracy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 10:59 PM
If this isnt obvious proof that both parties are dif factions playing for the same team , then I dunno what the hell is....

Both beholden to corporations and money.........

If people want to scream about politicians being part of the evil oil companies

....Look no further than the Republocrats........

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 11:01 PM
a reply to: ketsuko

He's trolling.

The op is crystal clear.

Congressman are the ones who created taxes.

And the GAS TAX is solely owned by state, and federal governments.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 11:06 PM

originally posted by: seeker1963

Pennsylvania is already going to raise the tax by 10 cents so it isn't surprising the Feds will do the same.

Politicians are like crack addicts, except their drug of choice is tax money!

it has already gone up .28 cents by the state for infrastructure costs. Not sure were your .10 came from.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 11:48 PM

No, it is time because the money is required to fix our aging infrastructure. I don't like taxes either, but the roadways are the arteries of our economy. There are 320 million people using the roads, and there isn't enough tax revenue to keep them safe.

Again, I am a conservative minded person, but any person who isn't an ideolog with a little bit of searching can see how far behind our country is on infrastructure. We're not quite Russia, but we're pretty darn close.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 11:55 PM

You might be able to Squeeze Oil from Shale , but Not Blood from a Stone . The Personal Wealth Well is running kind of Dry right now in the Good Old U.S.A. , so of course a Washington Politician would have no remorse in Squeezing even Harder for their Corporate Masters ............;(

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 11:58 PM
Just remember.. the Boston Tea Party was over a 2% tax increase.

2 percent...

When will Americans wake up?

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 12:14 AM

originally posted by: neo96

You might have noticed the spectacular collapse of global crude oil prices reflected in the commensurate reduction of your weekly gasoline bill. Gas prices are lower, much lower, than they were just a few months ago. For Washington D.C., that represents an opportunity. Even for congressional Republicans, even a little bit more money in your wallet presents a chance to hike your taxes.

Absolute morons

Anyone who agrees that it's a perfect time to hike the gas tax simply because of a downward trend in oil is a MORON.

Commodities go up, and they go down all the time, and those trends NEVER last, but what is FOREVER is taxes.

I want to say irony here, after the decades long push for fuel 'efficient' vehicles. That has been a dual edged sword. That has cut in to the revenue generation of the gas tax.

More efficient vehicles means people buy less gas. Means the state, and the feds get less income that is suppose to pay for roads, and bridges.

Cheaper oil really doesn't effect fuel efficient vehicles so their go to play is to just hike taxes. That still won't generate the needed revenue, but who it hurts the most is the poor, and the middle class.

Those who can't afford a new car.

Exactly like what they have done with cigarette taxes.

People still smoke. It just costs them an arm, and leg to smoke.

They raise the gas tax., and when oil rebounds, and IT WILL REBOUND. We will really get screwed.

Not only gas prices, but on food, and other products.

Raise bloody hell to your congressman, and tell them hell no on raising the gas tax.
And if not enough then a tax on commute miles, the state must survive above the people...

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 12:36 AM
MORE F***ing TAX ?

How about taking it instead out of Obama's lush field trips? Or how about taking it instead from the Billions you send Israel every year? Or cutting spending? Or REDUCING our bloated ass, OBESE, government monster down to a manageable size? Cause you damn sure can't manage it now. Or how about reducing military expenditures? Or how about STOP spying on Americans and send 90% of the NSA rats all home?

There's 1,000 ways for this government to cut spending, but their only answer is they want MORE OF OUR MONEY.

War. I swear. War. That's what it will take.

And to think our forefathers WENT to war over 12% taxation. 12%. We're being raped by our own, and so that's ok?

NO, it's not ok. Take your damn taxes and shove em. Be different if they were WISELY spent. Isn't anyone else TIRED of being raped? Guess not. Americans can just never get enough of being RAPED. They love it. It's a wonder they don't just donate ALL their money to the government, out of sheer love. Friggin fools.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 02:24 AM
The gas tax should go up, and now is the perfect time since fuel prices are down, people are more able to afford it. We've been pushing more fuel efficient vehicles and that reduces the gas tax income which we need in order to maintain roads. Doing this is a good thing.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 04:15 AM
Neo96 hit the nail on the head. Its so easy to trick the publîc nowadays with its short ättention span and the govt. manipulation of the media.What better way to get even more taxes from the people than to promise OPEC a subsidy for not reducing supply which stabilizes pricēs. Im too tired to show you right now but our govt makes more ôff the taxes for a gallon of gas than big oil makes īn prôfît for that same gallon.I will revist tomorrow ẃhen īm not so sleepy.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 05:17 AM
Get to know the tax laws and use them to your favor. That's why they make the laws complicated so only they understand them.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>