It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Democrats and Republicans agree: It’s a perfect time for a gas tax hike

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+18 more 
posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 11:34 AM
link   

You might have noticed the spectacular collapse of global crude oil prices reflected in the commensurate reduction of your weekly gasoline bill. Gas prices are lower, much lower, than they were just a few months ago. For Washington D.C., that represents an opportunity. Even for congressional Republicans, even a little bit more money in your wallet presents a chance to hike your taxes.

Absolute morons

Anyone who agrees that it's a perfect time to hike the gas tax simply because of a downward trend in oil is a MORON.

Commodities go up, and they go down all the time, and those trends NEVER last, but what is FOREVER is taxes.

I want to say irony here, after the decades long push for fuel 'efficient' vehicles. That has been a dual edged sword. That has cut in to the revenue generation of the gas tax.

More efficient vehicles means people buy less gas. Means the state, and the feds get less income that is suppose to pay for roads, and bridges.

Cheaper oil really doesn't effect fuel efficient vehicles so their go to play is to just hike taxes. That still won't generate the needed revenue, but who it hurts the most is the poor, and the middle class.

Those who can't afford a new car.

Exactly like what they have done with cigarette taxes.

People still smoke. It just costs them an arm, and leg to smoke.

They raise the gas tax., and when oil rebounds, and IT WILL REBOUND. We will really get screwed.

Not only gas prices, but on food, and other products.

Raise bloody hell to your congressman, and tell them hell no on raising the gas tax.
edit on 9-1-2015 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Pennsylvania is already going to raise the tax by 10 cents so it isn't surprising the Feds will do the same.

Politicians are like crack addicts, except their drug of choice is tax money!

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Thanks for posting this.

Funny its bipartisan to, they ALL agree THEY need more of our money.

Found this related story that should add to your euphoric mood Neo.

“Global Warming” Fee Added to Calif. Gas Prices – Before Sales Tax!

So they ad the global warming tax, then sell the gas and tax the GW tax AGAIN. Tax a tax, priceless.

The state is charging gas retailers a new “global warming” cap-and-trade fee and retailers are passing the cost to consumers, but the consumer sales tax is calculated from the full pump price, which includes the cap-and-trade fee.

“The global warming fee, which is variable and could soar in the future, added about a dime this week,” Dan McSwain of UT San Diego said. “Then the state adds 2.25% of the full retail price – including those other fees and taxes – while city and county sales taxes add more (0.5% in most of San Diego County).”

Many drivers haven’t noticed the increase yet due to the plummeting gas prices, but they will eventually because the $0.10 per gallon fee is not a set price – it’s determined by California’s “cap-and-trade” market in which various industries trade their permits covering specific amounts of emissions, the total of which is capped by the state.

In other words, the “global warming” fee can go up.

“In August, California’s legislative analyst estimated that, by 2020, retail prices were likely to rise between 13 cents and 20 cents a gallon because of cap-and-trade,” McSwain added. “But the analyst, Mac Taylor, warned that increases could exceed 50 cents in some cases.”

“And an oil-industry group warned the costs could spike to 76 cents, based on state figures.”

You know the saying, as goes California so goes the Nation.
You cant make this stuff up.
SOURCE
edit on 1 9 2015 by stosh64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 12:11 PM
link   
a reply to: stosh64

I wish I could cuss.

Temperatures on the red planet were warmer on Thursday than fourteen states from Washington to Maine

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

edit on 123131p://bFriday2015 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

Raise bloody hell to your congressman, and tell them hell no on raising the gas tax.

Right....that should help!

Since when has a congressmen ever taken the citizens well being over their corporate masters and lobbiest.

It's 2015....it's different now.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 12:17 PM
link   

All of them should be booted from office.

Got love it when Govt works to do as it always does, making decisions to grow itself.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Corporate masters eh?

Who is it that want's to increases taxes here?

When they blow what they already take from us.

Think you mean the D and R Kleptocrats.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Stormdancer777
a reply to: stosh64

I wish I could cuss.

Temperatures on the red planet were warmer on Thursday than fourteen states from Washington to Maine

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

I wish we could move washington DC to Mars.

All their hot air could warm the place.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Politicians think anytime is a good time to extort more.. erm.. raise taxes ..

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 12:49 PM
link   

I have a different view.

Politicians never owned a business. Their ability to take money from us, and give it to their friends, IS their business. It's their career.

So when gas prices drop, in spite of the demand not dropping, it is a perfect time for them to take more money from us. We won't even notice. It will seem like a small blip at the pumps.

Their business is trying to market what they do to us so we keep voting them in to take more money from us. Usually, they use the "us" vs. "them" frame of D vs R. The gas tax increase is such low hanging fruit they're not even bothering with pretending they're working for us.
edit on 9-1-2015 by Jamie1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Keep on voting for GOP and Democrats.

It's working so well for us.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Corporate masters eh?

No, I mean your Corporate masters that receive the bailouts, subsidies, tax loopholes and favorable legislation to put even more money in their off shore and Swiss accounts to keep the stockholders living in the lap of luxury. They don't care what gas prices are. Politics is meaningless in a Corporatacracy. I know you worship at the feet of trickle down economics. Guess what, those drops on your head you feel...that's not rain!!!
edit on 9-1-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 01:31 PM
link   

They raise the gas tax., and when oil rebounds, and IT WILL REBOUND. We will really get screwed.

Not only gas prices, but on food, and other products.

DING DING DING, we got a winner !!!

Exactly, once Saudi Arabia is done cutting the legs out from under the budding U.S. Shale industry, it will go back to 100+ a barrel...

Short sightedness almost seems to be a requirement for public office these days.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 02:26 PM
link   
‘Fears of man-made global warming exaggerated’

Read more at:
economictimes.indiatimes.com...

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 02:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Stormdancer777
‘Fears of man-made global warming exaggerated’

Read more at:
economictimes.indiatimes.com...

Yup. We should listen to one guy when 97% of the other guys say something else.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Well y'all are complaining about the country being trillions in debt and political gridlock......so you should be applauding this bipartisan approach to solving that problem!!

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 03:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aloysius the Gaul
Well y'all are complaining about the country being trillions in debt and political gridlock......so you should be applauding this bipartisan approach to solving that problem!!

I hope that was sarcasm.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Corporate masters eh?

Increased taxes is no problem for their Corporate Masters since it is the citizens below them that pay for it as we have heard many times.
It will not be coming out of their portfolios or bonus packages. It never does.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 04:58 PM
link   
You know. What really bothers me isn't politicians who are all for taxes, taxes and more taxes. It's citizens who are always worried that the government isn't getting enough money and are always talking about how we need more taxes. Usually, these are people who don't make a lot of money (and therefore don't pay many taxes anyway). I guess it makes perfect sense to them.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 05:30 PM
link   
OK.... If they want to raise gas tax, I propose a C.O.A.

Once a week, everyone band together, and go to every politicians house that voted for the increase, and siphon the fuel right out of their tanks. We get free fuel, and THEY pay the extra tax. Who's with me?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join