It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama proposes free community college program, cost details unclear

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: UmbraSumus

I meant anything north of the 49th Parallel. Including Russia, Scotland, Ireland, Denmark etc..
edit on 06/17/08 by narin because: forgot reply tag

edit on 06/17/08 by narin because: wrong parrallel

edit on 06/17/08 by narin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

I never said there shouldn't be hard work. To succeed in education, one must work hard. But those without the money to begin with have a hard time even getting a shot at education. Make the education part free, then it's up to the individual to make a success out of it. Give everyone an equal shot, then it's up to them where they go from there.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 11:42 AM
link   
There is a list of countries with free education at the bottom of this link: en.wikipedia.org...

I can't believe their people have more liberties than mine. It's a shame.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: narin
a reply to: UmbraSumus

I meant anything north of the 49th Parallel. Including Russia, Scotland, Ireland, Denmark etc..

No worries Narin. You can call me a Scandinavian too then !

"Education then, beyond all other devices of human origin, is the great equalizer of the conditions of men, the balance-wheel of the social machinery."

Horace Mann

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 12:11 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

More prisons than colleges. Immoral, anti-human and marginally profitable.

The moral equivalent of Germany in the early 30's. Who's next?

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: AutumnWitch657

Obama said, "I want to make it free."

These are not loans. It is the Federal Govt paying the cost outright, with no repayment.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64

Obama said, "I want to make it free."

These are not loans. It is the Federal Govt paying the cost outright, with no repayment.

Where does the Federal Government get the money to spend? Tax payers. Nothing the government does is "free". Somebody, somewhere is paying the cost and it is usually the most productive citizens in the middle/upper middle class that bear the brunt.

When the government can show they aren't spending money on studying the mating habits of homosexual ants and other BS then I can consider something like this program. The funds should come directly from cutting some other government programs.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 02:22 PM
link   
the 'Strings-Attached' themes are being explored at the cast on CNBC-Market Watch front-men

it seems a full time study is required & a B Average (2.0) maintained & applies to only 2 years total ~ or the 'Freeness' is stopped ~

this free ride will likely replace the more lax standards of existing Pell Grant program and another program for 'getting Ahead' that more or less focuses on non-majority people of the community

this community organizer is intent on making the public jump-through-hoops/replacing old hoops with new & faulty ones, in every aspect of our lives...

what a nincompoop is he...
the whole football farm league at college level will get boarded up, except for the top 100 or so mega sports colleges because the junior college trades training education experience will cripple the existing system as the free student-trainees gravitate to a free-funding JC program from the way overpriced university experience that costs 'somebody' over $35k per year minimum

edit on th31142083532509282015 by St Udio because: typo

edit on th31142083588109382015 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

a reply to: Cabin

the difference being 'education' is a much deeper, instrumental change maker... than a 'trained' population
edit on th31142083610809412015 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 02:24 PM
link   

What should the kids do whose parents are not productive enough to have the opportunity to pay?

It is an investment in the end. As the students have to keep the GPA, which means they will learn the trade, at least to some level. In the end, this will lead to more high-skilled employees, who are able to pay more taxes, so it will balance itself out eventually. Education is an investment that is always worth the price. Considering the future, the trend is moving towards the most educated nations becoming the wealthiest nations.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cabin

What should the kids do whose parents are not productive enough to have the opportunity to pay?

It is an investment in the end. As the students have to keep the GPA, which means they will learn the trade, at least to some level. In the end, this will lead to more high-skilled employees, who are able to pay more taxes, so it will balance itself out eventually. Education is an investment that is always worth the price. Considering the future, the trend is moving towards the most educated nations becoming the wealthiest nations.

There are always kids who lose the parent lottery. However, they do have the opportunity to pay as I pointed out...if you really want to go to college, you will figure it out. I know plenty of people who went to the military to get the college tuition paid for. Others had good grades and received academic scholarships. Others took out student loans.

The premise that free community college will help is just absurd. First off, a lot of four year colleges aren't doing that great in getting their students jobs, so what makes you think these two year degrees are going to be worth anything? The smart ones will go on to regular four year schools, but you still have the problem of who is going to pay for it. Heck some better colleges won't even take community college credits as they don't believe the academic standards are high enough. You are basically going to have a lot of ill prepared two year college graduate with no jobs.

If anything, some of these students would be better off learning a trade instead of the government picking up two years cost for a worthless degree. I'd rather see the money used to give out grants to start businesses or something more productive. Part of the problem now is we have too many kids going to college to study worthless topics and going into debt to do so.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Edit: typo with math
ignore my post.

edit on 9-1-2015 by strongfp because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-1-2015 by strongfp because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 04:57 PM
link   
The payment comes in the form of taxes on increased earnings with a better job from a better education. . I never mentioned repayment or that I thought this was a loan.
a reply to: DAVID64

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Yes and how does the government GET that money they spend? You're correct from tax payers. And people with a better education earn more money so pay more taxes. This pays for itself. They pay for the schooling and the student pays higher taxes on increased earnings because of the schooling. a reply to: Edumakated

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: narin
I just down loaded an app that is teaching me to speak French. And no in app purchasing. Customer reviews say it's better than Rosetta. It's speak and write.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 05:17 PM
link   

I don't know why you would waste time arguing with idiots. You and I both know this can only improve your country's current conditions.

My only concern is that there wasn't this much passion against wasting money funding two illegal wars (which created no return on investment) . But so much angst and mild bitterness toward spending money on educating those in need and will no doubt be a return on investment.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Our education system needs improvement but it doesn't suck. A lot depends on the schools you go to, your parents involvement and individual learning ability.
When they were younger my kids sometimes complained that our vacations were to historic or educational places or that weekends were spent at museums. They loved the natural history museum in New York and the one in Washington. Not so much the museum of fine art in Richmond VA or the Chrysler museum in Norfolk Va.
Later they were grateful for the augmentation to their educations.
PS We spent weekends at amusement parks and on picnics too to keep things fun and balanced. It wasn't all serious .

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Regarding your first sentence. I guess that highlights your learning level huh? reply to: St Udio

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Your answers really aren't really contributing much to the discussion you know. Just a bunch of dissatisfaction and drivel. What would you do differently? reply to: xuenchen

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 05:32 PM
link   
a reply to: narin
Well sorry but no.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Apparently, spending $79,641,880,000 in 2013 for the SNAP program is a far better way to spend taxpayer's monies.

... rather than putting it into something silly like post-secondary education to help people get off of those other government subsidies.

If the US wants to saturate their economy with burger flippers and Walmart greeters by continuing to keep post-secondary education out of reach for most of its citizenry, then by all means:

Keep Calm
and
Food Stamp On

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join