It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama proposes free community college program, cost details unclear

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 09:44 AM
link   
You can't be a member of this site and be a faithful follower of either of the two identical reigning political factions of the United States. It's just contradictory and not in your best interests of going Way Above the truth. We all know that, so what makes you think I think like that?

A Republican government got your country into this mess in 2001. A Democratic government got your country into an era of prosperity in the late 90s. And this democratic measure is akin to sowing the seeds for a more prosperous nation. You can't have a couple dozen eggs without buying a few chickens mind you.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: narin
No, correction, this won't help the rich people. God forbid a Republican should ever approve of free Education.

Democrats don't approve either.

They always want somebody to pay.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 09:57 AM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

Finland is deep in debt too.

Finland bust out debt

ultra-successful indeed.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 10:02 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Better to be deep in debt with better educated citizens, then to be deep in debt with less educated citizens. At least the future looks brighter with better educated citizens.

edit on 9-1-2015 by kaylaluv because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Bull. You get out of an education what you put into it. Maybe the school you went to was all memorization. Mine was not. Skills for study were developed. Skills for research were encouraged. Don't put us all in the same basket.
Yes improvement in education is needed. A continuation on a college level that is available to every level of society will only make things better. For all.a reply to: seeker1963

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 10:05 AM
link   
I guess. The failure is certainly apparent to me when I read some posts. a reply to: xuenchen

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 10:07 AM
link   

edit on 192015 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: darkwingduck

I don't think it's retroactive.
edit on 192015 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 10:09 AM
link   
I think it boils down to operating costs. If we can minimize these with better technology and more efficient learning avenues (ie. online education) we can manage this thing and still profit. Education systems in 2015 are severely outdated in their methods. I can now learn an entire course on my Cell Phone. Combined with classroom learning/media hubs/routers, you can probably get kids to teach themselves by developing relevant apps and whatnot.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Wow there are some really deep and insightful posts in this thread.
Or roadblocks to intelligent conversation.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 10:18 AM
link   
The fallacy of this is the it assumes everyone needs to go to college. Heck, most college degrees aren't worth the paper they are printed on; what makes anyone think a two year community college degree is going to be worth anything?

The realty is that most students aren't even prepared for college since our elementary, middle, and high school education sucks so bad. If any money is to be spent, it needs to be on fixing education at that level, not shifting the debt burden of secondary education from the consumer to the government for large numbers of students who aren't even prepared to attend college.

We already have free college. It is called the G.I. bill where you go to the military. If you don't want to do it like that, you pick a school you can afford or willing to go into debt to attend. You make sacrifices.

Free community college doesn't address any of the real issues with education in the US.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 10:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

I think some very smart and successful people have come from College. It's not much different than other Post-secondary programs. Even after you get a job you get training and specialization. Getting a job these days requires a good hunter not a successful graduate. Post-secondary degree of any kind does not automatically get you a good job anymore you can have a Masters and work at McDonalds or have a college degree and work on Wall Street. It all comes down to supply/demand of labour force sectors.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

I agree with this to some extent. We need to reform the whole education system from grade school on. Those that don't have the aptitude or interest to go to college need to be able to go to a trade school. But it ALL should be publicly financed - grade school, college, trade school.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 10:28 AM
link   
pie-in-the-sky... what he really wants is prayer rugs & minarets calling the call-to-prayer

I thought that's what trade schools were for...or else magnet schools which focus on a career and draw in interested students... this just seems another layer of government bureaucracy to be built up

affirmative action delivered uneducated persons with 4 years of useless hand-holding but no career building development, just a bunch of overpaid, over privileged, 'gimme' sponges on the real working/tax~paying portion of economy, the tiny core of industry...

if he proposes free community college.... what's the 'cost' question about ?
perhaps his free obamacare can use the free time wanna-be JC applicants as Interns as adjunct health care givers for the people frozen out of health-care access because obamacare-aca turned former doctors & nurses into retirees and there is no medical health treatments affordable anymore

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
a reply to: xuenchen

Better to be deep in debt with better educated citizens, then to be deep in debt with less educated citizens. At least the future looks brighter with better educated citizens.

They've been using that same old excuse for failure since ancient times.

And so many people love the students even more when they become bankers too !!

Oh the irony.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 10:51 AM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

Did this escape You ?

...Decades ago, when the Finnish school system was badly in need of reform, the goal of the program that Finland instituted, resulting in so much success today, was never excellence. It was equity.

...Occupy Wall Street movement have brought the problems of inequality in America into such sharp focus.
~from your post~

land sakes.... the proofreaders or the author themself should have seen the Error-----

(in)equity and inequality are two different word meanings & concepts of thought

the moron probably got a college education, free no doubt, on the Publics dime if they were 'disadvantaged'

edit on th31142082242709532015 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Bailing out banks with tax payers money to the cost of trillions is good, wanting to help educate the nation with tax payers money is bad. Evil obama

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: St Udio

Inequality between the rich and the poor in a society is a sign of inequity. Inequity in a society spells it's doom.

That educated enough for you?

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 11:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
a reply to: St Udio

Inequality between the rich and the poor in a society is a sign of inequity. Inequity in a society spells it's doom.

That educated enough for you?

No, that is a sign that some people are more successful than others. Every society will always have some level of inequality. All you can do is make it so that people have the opportunity to change their station in life through hard work. No other system does this as good as free market capitalism. Many of those who become rich lose everything and many who start off poor become rich.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 11:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: narin
I'm from Canada and kind of ashamed that we're the only Scandinavian country that does not yet offer free post-secondary education in the 21st Century. If America does this before us, I'm gonna implode.

Since when is Canada considered a Scandinavian country?

I thought it was Norway, Denmark and Sweden

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join