It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Obama proposes free community college program, cost details unclear

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 08:39 AM
Once again, Obama to the rescue!!! But.........."cost details unclear? Hmmm. HMMMM. Well, I can tell you where it's coming from. Your pocket.
Ok, I put this little tidbit from the middle of the article first. Look at that number. 10s of Billions. Annually. Personally I agree with a reporter on TV that said "this is just a bait and switch". Obama is throwing out ideas that sound like a good thing, just so the GOP will look bad when it doesn't pass. I mean, do we have billions more to spend every year? We're friggin broke people! The days of "I want it so someone should pay for it" are over!. 18 TRILLION in debt. Do we really need Billions more on top of that? No, I don't care if you want a education and think it should be free. Get your ass out, get a job and pay for it.
Remember, TANSTAAFL. There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch.

That suggests an annual cost in the tens of billions of dollars. The White House said the federal government would pick up 75 percent of the cost and the final quarter would come from states that opt into the program.

WASHINGTON – President Obama on Thursday proposed making community college free for all Americans who are "willing to work for it," though the administration has not revealed the price tag or how exactly it would be paid for.

In a video posted on Facebook, the president previewed his plan, which will be formally announced during a trip to Tennessee Friday. The president said he wants to provide free community college for two years, by covering enough tuition to get students who keep their grades up an associate's degree or halfway to a bachelor's.

"It's not for kids," Obama said. "We also have to make sure that everybody has the opportunity to constantly train themselves for better jobs, better wages, better benefits."

On a conference call with reporters, however, administration officials were vague on the details.

They said the funding details would come out later with the president's budget. They estimated 9 million students could participate and save an average of $3,800 in tuition per year.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 08:46 AM
The Obama "proposals" keep getting weaker and weaker and weaker.

And rarely help the majority of citizens.

Desperation Incorporated at work.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 08:46 AM
Is this the same kind of "free" that the Obamacare program promised? Because if it is...

You know what? Never mind. People are like Pavlov's dog. They hear "free" and good common sense goes out the window . A mental block goes up in their brain that tells them that as long as they don't have to pay for it, then it's free.

In a perfect world it would be absolutely free. Having a daughter getting ready to start college shopping has shown me very quickly that the costs are exorbitant.

Somebody is going to pay. It's not going to be free by a long shot.
edit on 1/9/2015 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 08:50 AM
O no!
Heaven forbid universal education and free health-care! It's just not right at all.
Sick and stupid people are always good for society.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 08:51 AM
Already 8 pages HERE started yesterday.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 08:53 AM
a reply to: stosh64

Oops. Sorry folks. I did search.
Hey Mods!! Delete please?
Thanks -

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 08:54 AM
I'm in. Education can only be a good thing . Costs will be offset when the newly educated gets a better job and pays more income tax. WIN/WIN
Obama haters will of course pretend not to realize this and criticise. Par for the course.
So sad....

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 08:55 AM
a reply to: DAVID64

Lemme guess... won't add one dime to the deficit?

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 08:59 AM
At this point, anything looks better than the trillion plus of outstanding student loan debts. And the people actually paying them back are little more than indentured servants. Even homeowners can declare bankruptcy, keep their home and car, and have some of their debt forgiven. Student loans stay with a person until they are paid in full or death whichever comes first.

I'm not saying I'm for or against this proposal from the white house. It will be interesting to see who profits from it.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 09:00 AM
a reply to: xuenchen
How can you say this won't help people? How can a better education not help a person out of a bad situation.
Note the requirement to maintain grades? That will make sure that the funds only go to people who are motivated to succeed. They in turn will earn more and pay higher taxes.
The community will benefit with more skilled workers because business will flourish with better employees.
The better the business does the more taxes they will pay to both the feds and on a local level so this move improves not just the individuals but his community as well.
America is behind on the education level. This should not be in today's world. This will address that too.

edit on 192015 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 09:07 AM
Education is one of the nation's cheapest resources. It's the Education Centres that drive up costs to unreasonable proportions. It is also one of the largest benefits to society.

"If you are thinking 1 year ahead, plant a seed. If you are thinking 10 years ahead, plant a tree. If you are thinking 100 years ahead, educate the people." - Confucius.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 09:09 AM
This will actually be a revenue generator. Remember the auto bailouts? And how those funds were repaid, with interest within two years? That industry is stronger than ever now. Was that a waste of money? No certainly it was not.
This is a brilliant way to spend money !
A true investment in America's future.

edit on 192015 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 09:12 AM
I'm from Canada and kind of ashamed that we're the only Scandinavian country that does not yet offer free post-secondary education in the 21st Century. If America does this before us, I'm gonna implode.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 09:14 AM
a reply to: narin

A star for you oh wise one. Some have vision but do not see. Others see but have no vision .
Then there are the ones with 20/20 on the future.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 09:17 AM

originally posted by: narin
I'm from Canada and kind of ashamed that we're the only Scandinavian country that does not yet offer free post-secondary education in the 21st Century. If America does this before us, I'm gonna implode.

Don't get too excited...

We can't even teach our children in the public school systems to be critical thinkers in this country. All they do is repetitive memorization so they all think the same.

Will the "community colleges" just become an extension of the indoctrination centers we call our public school systems?

That's the agenda, don't kid yourself. They are grooming the next few generations to be obedient serfs.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 09:26 AM

reply to: AutumnWitch657

How can you say this won't help people?

Like this: "this won't help people".

But it might help the corruption as usual.

Sad day when we are supposed to trust the same people responsible for the entire public school failure.

It's just another Progressive set up for money suction.

Now you see it, now you don't.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 09:30 AM
No, correction, this won't help the rich people. God forbid a Republican should ever approve of free Education.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 09:36 AM

originally posted by: narin
No, correction, this won't help the rich people. God forbid a Republican should ever approve of free Education.

What makes you think there is a difference between Democrats or Republicans other than the lies they tell us so that we stay divided?

Do you think big money only pays out to Republicans?

We can go back 50 years and no matter which party has been in charge, neither one of them have done a damn thing to uphold Constitutional law, and represent the people who elected them.

All smoke and mirrors for their faithful followers........

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 09:42 AM
Finland knows how to do it:

Decades ago, when the Finnish school system was badly in need of reform, the goal of the program that Finland instituted, resulting in so much success today, was never excellence. It was equity.

Since the 1980s, the main driver of Finnish education policy has been the idea that every child should have exactly the same opportunity to learn, regardless of family background, income, or geographic location. Education has been seen first and foremost not as a way to produce star performers, but as an instrument to even out social inequality.

In fact, since academic excellence wasn't a particular priority on the Finnish to-do list, when Finland's students scored so high on the first PISA survey in 2001, many Finns thought the results must be a mistake. But subsequent PISA tests confirmed that Finland -- unlike, say, very similar countries such as Norway -- was producing academic excellence through its particular policy focus on equity.

That this point is almost always ignored or brushed aside in the U.S. seems especially poignant at the moment, after the financial crisis and Occupy Wall Street movement have brought the problems of inequality in America into such sharp focus. The chasm between those who can afford $35,000 in tuition per child per year -- or even just the price of a house in a good public school district -- and the other "99 percent" is painfully plain to see.

The problem facing education in America isn't the ethnic diversity of the population but the economic inequality of society, and this is precisely the problem that Finnish education reform addressed. More equity at home might just be what America needs to be more competitive abroad.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 09:43 AM
Good idea... I will be waiting eagerly for my refunded student loans.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>