It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Officer's quick judgment call prevents potential tragedy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 06:52 AM
link   
This incident happened in Duncanville, TX just south of Dallas. Too often we hear of police officers shooting suspects who fail to comply with the orders given by police. This video shows EXTREME restraint on the officers part. The "teens" in this video are oblivious to the officers commands, or just don't feel there is any need for them to comply. This could have gone south very quickly, yet this veteran officer decided to place his safety at risk, for the better good of the community, or whatever reason.

After watching this video, I must commend this officer for making the decision he did. At the same time, I hope everyone watches the video more than once, and pays close attention to what is happening behind the suspect in the gray hoodie. Dumb, dumber, and dumbest. These kids were just seconds away from becoming another statistic.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 07:14 AM
link   
a reply to: retiredTxn

Those kids were DUMB! Is it a movement to become a news story now? Damn. Imagine if more than one cop showed up at this call. All three kids would likely have been shot.

This "screw the police" attitude is going to get a lot of people dead who didn't need to be.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 07:49 AM
link   
He's so happy he didn't pull the trigger.

Me too.

Shows how the public is unaware of their "predicament". The kid keeps moving towards the officer even though the officer is holding down on him with his sidearm and yelling.

ETA: Ignorant kid. Goood policing.
edit on 9-1-2015 by intrptr because: change after ETA:

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 09:35 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

The majority of people, if placed in this same situation, would probably be prone on the ground with their hands out to their sides. But not these kids. It's almost as if they were trying to see how far they could push the envelope. Once additional cops show up, they finally begin to cooperate. If you have a death wish, this is an example of how to react to police commands to get on the ground.

Maybe becoming a news story is what they wished for. They don't realize how close they were to that becoming a reality.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 09:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
He's so happy he didn't pull the trigger.

Me too.

Shows how the public is unaware of their "predicament". The kid keeps moving towards the officer even though the officer is holding down on him with his sidearm and yelling.

ETA: Ignorant kid. Goood policing.

Maybe not so much happy as relieved. Any other officer would probably shoot him when he continued to walk towards him. How does society teach these kids to not walk around waving BB guns, when it's obvious the parents are not giving them the tools they need to survive out in the real world? I just don't know why parents don't teach that actions have consequences.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Any other officer would probably shoot him when he continued to walk towards him.

As I watched it develop the first time I watched it I was staring to cringe. The kid could have just as easily reached for it to show the officer it "wasn't real". We'd be having a far different conversation right now.

How does society teach these kids to not walk around waving BB guns,

I can't comprehend where a kid can't walk down the street with a BB gun. I did that (a lot) when I was a kid. Nobody called the police on me. No cops came threatening to kill me unless and right now or else!

The difference is all guns are being targeted nowadays, even "look likes".

My reaction as that officer would be to tone down the encounter out the gate…

Pulls up, from PA: (Calm voice) "Alright, wheres the gun? Who's got it?"

Instead of jumping out, drawing my sidearm and shouting at the top of my lungs. That kid was obviously walking towards the officer not in a threatening manner, but to get closer to out shout the officer, imo.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I mean the kid has his hands up the entire time.

But I guess good on the cop for nothing shooting him. I didn't really see this as kids trying to push the envelope, more of kids trying to not have a gun pointed at him and handling it wrong.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 12:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
I mean the kid has his hands up the entire time.

But I guess good on the cop for nothing shooting him. I didn't really see this as kids trying to push the envelope, more of kids trying to not have a gun pointed at him and handling it wrong.

I guess I look at the totality of the situation, seeing not just his hands up, but also seeing those behind him ignoring the cop. The kid in the red jacket keeps putting his hands in his right pocket. It's hard to see what the other kid is doing. The other two could have helped more if they had been more aware of the serious situation they were in. But, I am glad this turned out the way it did.

I'm curious if the other situations across the country had an impact on how this was handled? Could we be at a turning point? Maybe this is a good start. This happened across the lake from me, so I'm glad it did turn out good.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

I can't comprehend where a kid can't walk down the street with a BB gun. I did that (a lot) when I was a kid. Nobody called the police on me. No cops came threatening to kill me unless and right now or else!

The difference is all guns are being targeted nowadays, even "look likes".

I did that a lot too. Even had a cop challenge me to a shoot out. We set up some cans, and went after it. He took his loss quite well.

The problem now is too many BB and pellet guns look so real. Our BB guns didn't have an orange barrel piece, but nobody expected kids to be walking around with real guns. Today, BB guns look more realistic, and the anti-gun crowd is scaring whole generations to fear any type of gun, BB guns and any other. In high school, nobody noticed the shotguns and rifles in the back windows of trucks, and even cars.

IMO parents should be teaching kids nowadays to leave the BB guns at home, and hopefully they can avoid putting their lives at risk. Not the future I expected when a Kid myself, but it is todays reality.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 12:40 PM
link   

The kids were doing no wrong. But because of the media hype, everyone with a gun and everything that looks like a guns is "a threat". That imo is by design, that is the problem, the damn media.

I agree with what you are saying, just not willing to go down that reality so easy.

ShallNot Be infringed is pretty plain to me.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 01:53 PM
link   
The city of Duncanville is holding a meeting with parents (anyone who wants to attend) to address the issue of listening to the cops demands.

The parents that were interviewed all said the same thing: "If an officer orders you to stop and get on the ground, DO IT!"

*** The local news has been been reporting on this all day today.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

I agree. I feel the founding fathers made it plain and simple for a reason. As time goes by, some want to try and pervert something that was intended to be simple. Here in Texas, we are currently fighting for constitutional right to carry openly or concealed, without a license. 911 is gonna be real busy if and when that happens.

In the video, the lady who called 911 had no idea if the gun was real or fake. Educating the public that just the presence of a gun does not necessarily mean something bad. Educating the public that responsibly possessing a gun in public, carries a greater responsibility of doing so with respect for others is gonna be the hard part.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: texasgirl

This alone could save an awful lot of anguish for families, and young lives.
Hope there is a large turnout.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Today, BB guns look more realistic, and the anti-gun crowd is scaring whole generations to fear any type of gun, BB guns and any other.

BS!
It is not the anti gun crowd that is causing this, it is the training that cops go through that teach them to think that every person is out to kill them and if they give some one that extra half second to do anything then they will be dead.

The people that are making people scared of people with guns are the people going on shooting sprees and killing people with them!

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 04:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

Today, BB guns look more realistic, and the anti-gun crowd is scaring whole generations to fear any type of gun, BB guns and any other.

BS!
It is not the anti gun crowd that is causing this, it is the training that cops go through that teach them to think that every person is out to kill them and if they give some one that extra half second to do anything then they will be dead.

The people that are making people scared of people with guns are the people going on shooting sprees and killing people with them!

I'll see your BS, and raise you another BS!
Cops training is bad, as you see it. If the training is so bad, please explain how none of the kids in the above video died. OR, if it's people going on shooting sprees that is scaring people of guns, please explain why anti-gun groups spend so much time and money to keep guns out of the hands of everyone EXCEPT these ill trained cops? Forgot, rich politicians and Hollywood types get a pass because we all know they are smarter and better trained than cops.

These crazy people who go on shooting sprees, will do so regardless how many people are disarmed. At least we won't have to be afraid of them scaring people of guns, because we took them all away.

That training that cops receive, which you call bad, results in thousands of interactions daily, and not everyone is dead. I will be the first to call out a bad cop, but disparaging all cops as bad and ill trained is NLBS!

So, which is it? Badly trained cops, or people going on shooting sprees?

I'll be at the bar having a BS .

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Here in Texas, we are currently fighting for constitutional right to carry openly or concealed, without a license. 911 is gonna be real busy if and when that happens.

People behave a lot more responsibly around each other when guns are visible on hips. One or two, here and there, its enough.

In that town people don't have freak outs about it. One day I hope to move to a place like that.

top topics

join