It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michio Kaku & Galactic Colonization

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gazrok
We have the tech to start a colony on the Moon. Have for quite some time. We simply don't have the impetus to do so. Not much there for us. Like all settlements, there must be some kind of a DRAW for people to go there. So far, just the sheer novelty of being on the moon.

But, if we were to build a spaceport there, then inevitably, a colony would expand there.

Agreed. Scientists get bored like everybody else. We were all very interested in the Moon before we went to it, and discovered that it's really just a lot of fairly uninteresting rock. It's NICE to have additional detailed scientific data about it to help fill up textbook websites with facts. But most scientists generally want to find out cooler things than the mineral composition of a lot of fairly uninteresting rocks 250,000 miles away. (Except geologists, who are nuts, anyway.)

We generally need a pretty good reason to invest a lot of money in a science project, because knowledge isn't intrinsically valuable. It's only valuable if it can be used for something -- hopefully to make money or find resources.

We determined that the Moon is of limited practical value to us. No mountains of gold or diamonds or titanium. We can't even use it as a tactical military base, because it's unmaneuverable and too far away. Platform for a death ray? Maybe.

It still all boils down to propulsion limitations, the limitations of our weak little bodies, and the incredible harsh vastness of space. These are things we didn't know when we first started our scientific exploration of space a few hundred years ago, but we know them now. While people still fantasize about warp drives and teleportation and all that other Star Trek stuff, science has proven to be a massive buzzkill when it comes to the idea of casual space travel and other world colonization.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

We kinda knew the Moon was a boring rock before the moon landings. Those were carried out primarily as part of Space Race; any science they returned was a bonus.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 04:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: wildespace
We kinda knew the Moon was a boring rock before the moon landings. Those were carried out primarily as part of Space Race; any science they returned was a bonus.

Well, there's certainly very little reason to go there now, at least with people.

What I would love to see is a program to take one of the medium-sized craters on the far side and use a bunch of cheap little robots to smooth it into a nice dish and line it with reflective material and build the biggest radiotelescope ever, nicely shielded from most of the radio noise created by stuff on Earth. I think it would be relatively inexpensive, and the science we could get from it would almost be worth it. Maybe we'd even finally find those damned aliens.

I figure we could do it without putting any people up there, which would save us a fortune.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 05:04 PM
link   
a reply to: FormOfTheLord

FOTFL
Yes, the galaxy cannot wait to be colonized by the human race. They are out there right now holding their breath in anticipation of our magnificent species finally bringing peace and stability to the chaos that is the Milky Way.

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 12:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: FormOfTheLord

So in the video Michio Kaku talks about just a few ideas on how humanity could begin galactic colonization. The ideas are many, who knows which method is the best. So I decided to make a thread to discuss just that.

What do you think would be a good idea for galactic colonization?

Any ideas are welcome, wether possible or not, sci fi or realism, all ideas are just ideas but may lead to newer and more interesting ideas.

So come one come all on the voyage of the mind into Galactic Colonization and all the possibilities.

Real cool, it's been months since I last posted on this site many changes I see. We have to build wormholes, that is the only way.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 11:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: hoghead cheese

originally posted by: FormOfTheLord

So in the video Michio Kaku talks about just a few ideas on how humanity could begin galactic colonization. The ideas are many, who knows which method is the best. So I decided to make a thread to discuss just that.

What do you think would be a good idea for galactic colonization?

Any ideas are welcome, wether possible or not, sci fi or realism, all ideas are just ideas but may lead to newer and more interesting ideas.

So come one come all on the voyage of the mind into Galactic Colonization and all the possibilities.

Real cool, it's been months since I last posted on this site many changes I see. We have to build wormholes, that is the only way.

Yeah that would be the only way to travel far, I see space colonies and moon bases in the future for the public.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join