It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama to propose 2 free years of community college

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity
Large price tag? Maybe. But certainly not a larger price tag than perpetual war or poverty though.

Thank you for this.

I am glad others see the light.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 02:41 PM
link   

a reply to: jrod

My generations sees the student loan debt = indentured servitude problem.

Yet they keep getting herded in to the corrals in droves.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

And just what was 'factual' in this post ?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Sounded like political DOGMA to me.

dictionary.reference.com...

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

You're right. I'm sorry for not backing my claims up with sources. I apologize for that and will try not to do that again.

Educational attainment among the population aged 25 and above varied rather slightly with geography region. The population of the Northeastern United States (left leaning areas), which had the smallest population of any region with thirty-six million residents, had the highest percentage of high-school and college graduates. The western United States (also left leaning areas) had the highest percentage of those with some college or an Associates degree and ranked second for college graduates. The South (right leaning areas) which had by far the largest population with roughly sixty-six million people had the lowest educational attainment at every level.[2]

The proportion of high school graduates was the largest in the Midwest(right leaning areas) while the proportion of those with some college or an Associates degree was the second and that of those with a Bachelor's degree or higher was the third largest of any region.

Bolded parts added by me. But hey, maybe that is just the way the political landscape happened to divide up. I'm not trying to say there is a definitive correlation or anything like you did.
edit on 9-1-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-1-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Hopefully someone else can step in and make some valid points on why 2 years of college for the US citizens is good for the nation and our society in general?

I think there is a bit of an underlying reason why some are against this.

For a long time the folks at progressive policy have been saying this:

The more college graduates, the more Democratic (and especially more liberal) the state. The fewer college graduates, the more Republican and (and especially more conservative) the state.

Liberal states like New York and Massachusetts invest more in educating their kids. Conservative states like Kansas and Texas spend less on it, and consequently have fewer people with bachelor's degrees.

There has been a correlation drawn where for every one percentage point increase in college graduates in a state, the percentage of people who identify themselves as Democrats increases by 0.75 percent.

So this could be a dem plan to increase voter base through education so of course you will have people that will oppose educating the public they are generally more concerned with their politics.

I don't know take the statistics and statements for what they are and draw your own conclusions.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 02:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

You're right. I'm sorry for not backing my claims up with sources. I apologize for that and will try not to do that again.

Educational attainment among the population aged 25 and above varied rather slightly with geography region. The population of the Northeastern United States (left leaning areas), which had the smallest population of any region with thirty-six million residents, had the highest percentage of high-school and college graduates. The western United States (also left leaning areas) had the highest percentage of those with some college or an Associates degree and ranked second for college graduates. The South (right leaning areas) which had by far the largest population with roughly sixty-six million people had the lowest educational attainment at every level.[2]

The proportion of high school graduates was the largest in the Midwest while the proportion of those with some college or an Associates degree was the second and that of those with a Bachelor's degree or higher was the third largest of any region.

Bolded parts added by me. But hey, maybe that is just the way the political landscape happened to divide up. I'm not trying to say there is a definitive correlation or anything like you did.

You forgot to make the midwest part of your right leaning bolds....that and not all of the northeast is left.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

What is the HS graduation rate for Liberal/Progressive bastions like say NYC, Detroit and LA? All have humongous "education" appetites. And compare those to Republican areas.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Liberal states like New York and Massachusetts invest more in educating their kids. Conservative states like Kansas and Texas spend less on it, and consequently have fewer people with bachelor's degrees.

They can't be compared

That assumes every state has the same demographics, and populations.

There is not a single one that does

So 'red' and 'blue' can't be compared.

The so called 'smart' people aren't showing how smart they are.
edit on 9-1-2015 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: macman

I couldn't say I am just dropping off info and saying people should draw their own conclusion.

BTW here is link where I got the info from.www.progressivepolicy.org...

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

You're right. My bad. I'll fix that. They at least can graduate high school, but it looks like they like to drop out of college.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 03:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Answer
Great idea!

Let's do 4 things to fund this:

1) Crack down on people who are receiving disability checks/social security/welfare while still working. It's sickening how many people are milking the government tit while still working.

2) Require all welfare recipients that aren't disabled to attend the free 2 years of college. If they can't/won't/don't earn at least a 2.5 GPA, they're off welfare.

3) Mandatory drug and alcohol testing for welfare recipients. If they fail 2 tests, they're off welfare. If you have enough money for drugs and booze, you're not so bad off that taxpayers should be supporting you.

4) Legalize Marijuana and tax it to help pay for the 2 years of free education.

Great ideas Answer Man! But why stop there when there's so much waste to be tackled.

1) Monitor food spending, after all if you can afford a pot roast you shouldn't be on government assistance. To qualify you should only be allowed to eat a tasteless, nutrient rich gruel. Heck, we can even put some of these welfare recipients to work producing this gruel for consumption. It's a win-win!

2) No designer clothes for any of them! Money should not be spent on Nikes and Levis, I propose all those in need be provided with a uniform for wear, something unattractive and easily identifiable (we don't want the needy to look nice, that could lead to dating, and if you can afford a night out with a gal you shouldn't be on public assistance.) I think a nice pale yellow should do the trick. Recipients of a free education should also be required to send their mother or a sibling to the sweat shop to sew these poor uniforms, another win-win!

3) No TV - they should be studying, not watching TV! If you can afford cable, you can afford college. That's a fact!

Glad your on board Answer Man, together we can tackle this scourge of waste amongst the poor.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 03:01 PM
link   

That assumes every state has the same demographics, and populations.

Neo it is by percentage you are welcome to draw your own conclusions.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Progressive Policy as your backer?? Come on. really??

I ask again, with more detail.
What is the average amount spent per student in NYC? And what is the graduation rate in that area? And then compare it with say a town in Montana.

Let me give you a hint. Spending does not equal smart students. If throwing money at a problem worked, the Fed Govt would have more successful ventures.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Hey, this is what I pretty much just said. Thanks for the info Grimpachi. I only had lowly old wikipedia to rely on...

For every one percentage point increase in state-level college graduates, the percentage of liberals also increases by 0.75 percentage points. Impressively, education level explains 66 percent of variation in state-level percentage of liberals.

By contrast, for every one percentage point in college graduates, there is a 0.88 percentage point decline in the share of conservatives, and this by itself explains 58 percent of the state-level variation in the number of conservatives.

Does this mean that there is a simple causal story that education makes people more liberal either because (in the conservative telling) it turns them into elitist snobs, or (in the liberal telling) it gives them enough knowledge to understand how the world works?

Maybe. Maybe not. Perhaps liberal, Democratic states invest more in education, which is why those states have more college graduates. It’s also important to note that 1) these are state-level, not individual-level relationships, and 2) this is a static relationship, not a time series.

Nonetheless, the graphs are quite telling. The more college graduates, the more Democratic (and especially more liberal) the state. The fewer college graduates, the more Republican and (and especially more conservative) the state. There’s clearly something going on here, and I’m actually quite curious to hear how conservatives would respond.

link   
a reply to: DirtyD

All great ideas.

link   

My conclusion is there is not an equal number of D's and R's, and then someone chose to make a FALSE equivalency.

And then when one figures in the number of people on welfare in those areas, and crime rates.

That comparison was straight up bull snip.

That's my conclusion.
edit on 9-1-2015 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

You can rationalize it all you want along partisan lines, but the state political breakup speaks for itself.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi

So this could be a dem plan to increase voter base through education so of course you will have people that will oppose educating the public they are generally more concerned with their politics.

Flawed logic to think that opposing "free" college tuition equals opposing education.

There is still today such a thing as working and earning ones own way, using
ones own intellligence and direction from school counselors to apply for
grants and awards. Parents and grandparents who have opened a college
savings account, or have helped a child early in life to open and fund one
are well in support of education, yet may oppose Federal legislation taking
more tax dollars and throwing it in the ever growing national debt.

I think you right about the Democratic base though, they were sent a message, even Obama heard it.

edit on 9-1-2015 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   

What does welfare and crime rate have to do with this?

Are you throwing out a red herring?

As for your conclusion you are welcome to it.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 03:12 PM
link   

People with college degrees don't commit crime or go on welfare.

Second.

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join