It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should you be able to have privacy at work?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 01:15 PM
link   
okay by no means am I saying that you should be afforded the same type of privacy that you have at home in the workplace, But I don't think your work routine should be totally monitored throughout the day. I don't think a company should use the resources to monitor you when they hired you as a resource to accomplish a task,

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: American-philosopher
But I don't think your work routine should be totally monitored throughout the day.

Why not?
An individual can choose not to work somewhere which has lots of CCTV. If you are against cameras then you are free to find employment which offers working conditions compatible with your wishes.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: American-philosopher

In general, I'm against cameras in the workplace. I'd like to say I'm against them in principle too, but there are too many grey areas to base a principle on.

Employees with access to cash (from the Mint to Macdonalds) are under CCTV to prevent theft. Some Care Homes and Hospices are under CCTV to prevent abuse of patients/clients. UK bus drivers are under CCTV to provide protection from abuse and assault. Corridors in most schools are under CCTV to protect pupils from bullying etc.

We could argue that these workplaces have been around for decades without CCTV and management should be able to ensure safety for all without recourse to all the cameras. That's the ideal. As usual, the extreme offences and incidents have created a 'need' for CCTV. In that context, privacy comes way back in the field after employer liability and safeguarding protocols.

Like I said, I'm against the invasion of privacy. It pisses me off to hear our leaders dismissing privacy as a non-issue. The day's coming where CCTV will be in most workplaces. It'll probably be introduced by social services into family homes where safeguarding children and vulnerable adults are a concern.

Logically and reasonably, CCTV should be exceptional and I fear it'll become the norm and accepted. The good reasons will justify mission creep until we become acclimatised to cameras in most aspects of our lives. In my perspective, it's truly dystopic and will inevitably provide fertile ground for the day when totalitarian leadership rises again. I'm smiling because my comments can be interpreted as 'paranoid' and yet we have a 20th Century political history that demonstrates surveillance is a foremost tool in suppressing dissent and controlling the public.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 01:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky
Logically and reasonably, CCTV should be exceptional and I fear it'll become the norm and accepted.

Why should it be exceptional?
I'm self employed and on many sites I see employees sit down, smoke, and skive when whoever is paying their wages leaves the area. It doesn't concern me of course, but I know I'd have cameras on any workplace I was paying for.
As I said earlier, if an employee doesn't like it then they have the free choice to find alternative employment.
Why should it be exceptional for a private business to film any part of their workplace aside from staff toilets of course?
Who is setting the rules now for what is 'exceptional' in an environment that people are free to choose not to work in?

edit on 8.1.2015 by grainofsand because: Typo

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 01:50 PM
link   
The only place you have any reasonable expectation of privacy is in a place you own or rent, and bathroom type areas. I have a right to put cameras all over my property for surveillance and protection, why should it be any different for business owners?

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand\

So should we have any rights as far as the recording process goes. If were being recorded at work and a camera for each person lets say at work is trained on us. Should we get to know who gets to view the recordings of us and how long that is stored for. Do we get to have any rights if they should be deleted after a certain time.

and I know we can choose almost anything. I am talking about rights here moving forward and living in this technological control grid.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

That's exactly my worry that will turn into a 1984 society. Where someone can monitor you and look at you through a screen. "Mr. Rogers we noticed you went off your work path please return to your regular path to work,"

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 04:12 PM
link   

It's here already in some areas. Years back I worked in a call centre where we had CCTV, calls were recorded and we had to swipe our time-cards when we left the floor for toilet breaks. Orwell's dystopia is out there in some workplaces.

There's at least one company in the UK that's phasing in microphones to run with the CCTV. 'Nothing to hide' leaves little argument. On the other hand, it puts a lid on the general to-and-fro of employees talking about personal things or even the standard bitching about work that actually glues a workforce together and contributes to staff morale.

Money problems, domestic problems and what you did on the weekend are just a handful of things we chat about with colleague/friends that we wouldn't do if someone else was recording them. How about getting promotions?

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Privacy is a long time dead. Using the Internet, a Cell Phone, probably makes little difference anymore these days. I would bet that pretty much all we do, or say, our whereabouts at any given time over the last few years, is recorded and stowed away on some remote secure server.

It can only get worse as the tech filters down from the elites, to you, me, and Joe bloggs next door.

To answer your question, I am old enough to remember watching black and white TV, Thermionics to nanotech in less than fifty years. I would say Yes we are entitled to privacy, and where there is none, it ought to be made crystal clear to us.

What does it achieve? In my book, Id say its just another nail of division being driven home into the face of humanity.

School, every day the kids go, and they learn nothing.

You vote, you think you have rights, that you can make a difference, I could go on and on

it's a blessing I have no fear of death, just a fear that we might have to relive this mess again in another lifetime.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I am sure many will disagree, but I think much of this, aside from watching for theft from customers, is due to the negative change in the American worker's work ethic.

If management feels the need to watch workers it is most likely because they don't work. And it doesn't have to be all workers failing, just enough for the question to arise.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Privacy not only includes the inside of your home and within the boundaries of your land it also includes your person and personal property when you are not at home. It's a matter of ownership.

At work it is understandable to have monitoring systems to protect the company and the employees. This should not extend to the restrooms where employees will undress in private.

originally posted by: American-philosopher
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

okay do we deserve privacy once we live home? or is that where it ends?

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 09:32 PM
link   
'What is good for the goose... ... ?

If, by private policy, a business believes it is not only "okay", but "needful" to video me/you/employees - the same cameras should be aimed at EveryOne in the enterprise...and additionally (redundantly) - pointed at the bosses* anywhere and everywhere...without recourse.
The 'employees' should be privy to the video, as well.

If Someone (boss/employer/government) declares that it is both Okay & Necessary...to record my comings, goings, successes and failures...because THEY HAVE PURCHASED ME/YOU/US for those hours, days, years...and...We now know that someone Could be viewing video of us/you/me at any and all times of the day, night, birthdays, holidays...AnyTime they declare to be both Okay & Necessary ----
Then (with goose & gander being equal & all)...with heads high, and shoes & halos spit shined & polished...THEY will have "No Problem" when we turn the cameras & recorders &...tables...on them... (? !! ?)

~ * ~

If I can't tell what 'an employee' is doing by the product of their work...I should not have employees.

If I can't tell what 'my employees' are doing...by their work/product...I am not paying attention (or - am unqualified for the post).

Employers that do not account their workforce >/= (greater than or equal to) their product, profits and bottom-line have no moral high-ground...and have already lost in the race of Mankind.
mo
edit on 1/8/2015 by WanDash because: space

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 11:28 AM
link   
You have the right to refuse employment at a workplace which has CCTV, what more do you want?
The moment an employee agrees to sign a contract of employment which advises that recording takes place at work then it is a choice.
I wouldn't want to work in such an environment so I choose not to. I support a private business to film the workplace as they wish because it is the choice of the employee to continue in the employment, or not.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join