It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Doctor Errors?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 05:25 AM
link   
I just need to vent a bit. My grandmother’s (81) legs started swelling, to almost twice its size. And with the swelling, there was pain. She went to the doctor, and she said she should go to another doctor, and an appointment was made for 6 weeks later. The doctor said that that was the only available spot. So after the 6 weeks, my grandmother went to the second doctor, who then told her she was at the wrong doctor. And it is not that my grandmother went to the wrong one, but that the first doctor made an appointment with the wrong doctor.

The second doctor then sent her to a third doctor, who said the swelling was a back issue. My grandmother went for a second opinion, and was told it was not her back, and sent a letter to doctor #2 explaining why. Doctor #3 said it was a lymph nodes problem. By this time almost 2 months went by after her legs started to swell. The only thing my grandmother got was water pills (Not sure about the actual name).

Again she went to another doctor for a second opinion, doctor #4. This doctor sent her to an internist. The internist said that my grandmother should be taken up in hospital immediately. Blood tests were done, but came back inconclusive. Even more blood tests were done, and a few scans. The blood tests came back inconclusive again, but the scan (CT scan I believe) revealed a 10cm x 10cm x 10cm mass extending from her spine to the liver.

Now more blood tests were done and a biopsy on the mass. It turned out to cancerous, but the doctor did not know which type of cancer. It was said that the cancerous mass was recent. After all of this, my grandmother went to an oncologist, doctor #5, who started connecting the dots. He said that this was not a recent cancer. How he has connected the mass to some chronic stomach problems from more than 10 years, and skin cancer he got removed almost once a year for many years now.

But, this cancerous mass was just a coincidence. This is, as far as the doctors can say at this point, no connection between the leg swelling and the cancer. At this point more scans and x-rays were done, revealing a broken rib, which my grandmother broke without real pain, and kidney stones. We are still waiting for more information from the oncologist.

How can so many issues be missed, by so many doctors, for so many years??? Why is the first issue not resolved, almost 3 months down the line, and all the doctors has found was more questions? Were doctors just treating the symptoms instead of searching for causes?? I know that I do not have all the information, but this is very frustrating!

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 05:48 AM
link   
Western medicine treats symptoms.. not causes of illnesses ..
broadbased one size fits all rather than treating individual patients .. about the only thing useful in western medicine are the surgical techniques ...
not to mention between the insurance companies and big pharma its amazing anyone can get medical treatment much less survives a visit to western doctors ..

edit on 8/1/15 by Expat888 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 06:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Expat888

Well who wants to do surgery on an 81 year old? None!

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 06:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: IndependentOpinion

Sadly thats the attitude in the west .. they view the old as disposable .. and theres no profit to them to operate..

sorry to hear about your grandmother .. there are good facilities in malaysia and singapore for treatment that have good doctors both countries get alot of visitors for medical treatment .. havent got my notebook handy or could give info on clinics to contact .. visas to go for treatment can be obtained by contacting the embassies .. best would be singapore both for facilities and english used there.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Do you know what they call a doctor, that graduates with D grades?

They call him a Doctor!!!

Doctors are only "Practicing" medicine. And most hospitals are backed by big pharma, and they really only teach how to push pills. The last time I went to the clinic, they entered my symptoms into their computer program, and it popped out a diagnoses and which 'pills' I needed. I could have went to webmd.

Im sorry about your grandma. It sounds like she has poor circulation in her legs. I would look into natural ways to stimulate blood flow. And herbs to shrink her tumor.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 07:09 AM
link   
a reply to: IndependentOpinion

By the sounds of the incompetence you are using the NHS?

Utterly rubbish.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 07:12 AM
link   

What a nightmare. I am so sorry for what your Grandmother has endured. I don't know what can be done about it, find a watch dog organization and report those Dr.s, file a complaint with the AMA?

I hope she gets the proper treatment this time and the issues she has can be successfully treated.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 07:18 AM
link   

I am a retired RN and I just want to answer a few things about why. Surgery, from the sounds of what is wrong would be very hard on your Grandmother. She might not even survive. If she does, she will be slow healing, then her quality of life could be severely affected. She might end up unable to walk and care for herself. I am not defending the practice of not operating on the elderly, I am just providing some of the reasoning behind those decisions.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 07:19 AM
link   
"What a nightmare. I am so sorry for what your Grandmother has endured. I don't know what can be done about it, find a watch dog organization and report those Dr.s, file a complaint with the AMA? "

This is a big reason why doctors act the way they do. When they have several ideas about whats wrong, they either take a stab at a diagnosis or refer you to another doctor to find more info. The later is the one that does not get them a big lawsuit.
edit on 8-1-2015 by Hoosierdaddy71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Doctors.
75% of the ones I've had to deal with dont' know what the heck they are doing. Really. 75%. And the arrogance from them has been astounding. If I had followed the directions from them over the years, I'd have died a few times over. It's rare to find a good doctor. Even more rare to find one that isn't arrogant and who actually listens to you.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 07:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Iamschist

I do know the reasons, and it is understandable. I do not have a problem with that decision on not operating. Actually my grandmother said that even if they could, she would not consent to it. But thank you for your input!

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 07:43 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

Most western doctors dont/wont take the time to properly examine a patient.. fewer still take the time to actually listen to what there patients tell them ..

Have found that using t.c.m to treat illnesses and western surgical techniques my patients have done better and recovered better than if used purely western medicine to treat them.

the other thing is with western medicine the medications often can cause complications and further health problems than what initially brought the patient in for treatment ..

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 07:44 AM
link   

I just heard that the Dr. said that it can not be cured. They can only make her more comfortable.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 07:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71

To much time, money and effort that may only be wasted effort.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 07:48 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

Even after the last doctors sent the first doctors letters explaining they errors of their diagnoses, they refuse to admit they were wrong.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 07:53 AM
link   

I think most people would agree with my brother's opinion on what a doctor should be able to do, and here it is.

"I would like to go to the doctor, sit, not say a word, and get a right diagnosis. I should not have to tell him/her the symptoms, he should use his medical training to find it himself. I know that some symptoms can not be see. Why should I do most of the diagnoses?"

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 07:54 AM
link   

I am sorry. Are you able to spend time with her? For yourself it is important that you take the time given to you now, and tell her all the things she has meant to you, and why you love her. Remembering stories of shared experiences will help you both and when you have to say goodbye you can do so knowing nothing was left unsaid and she knew the depth of your love and honor of her.

Sorry for being off topic.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 07:59 AM
link   

No problem at all. Luckily she is still strong and mobile, and still live at her home. The doctor said that she can still live for many year (5 if you look at the average life expectancy).

Nevertheless, that is a good idea. Thank you!

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 08:13 AM
link   

I think most people would agree with my brother's opinion on what a doctor should be able to do, and here it is.

"I would like to go to the doctor, sit, not say a word, and get a right diagnosis. I should not have to tell him/her the symptoms, he should use his medical training to find it himself. I know that some symptoms can not be see. Why should I do most of the diagnoses?"

That only works for auto mechanics, a doctor can't see that your arm hurts.
edit on 8-1-2015 by Hoosierdaddy71 because: spelling

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Good news. If you decide to pursue getting some accountability I wish you luck with it. Isn't there some sort of web site that reviews Dr.s? If there is you can always give a bad review, be care so you can't be sued.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join