It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it a poor mindset? An atheist mindset? What causes paranoia?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 09:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
a reply to: Annee

You don't know what theology means?

Just explain what you're trying to say and stop the games.

he/she/it is criticizing the frequency with which atheists and agnostics attend religious threads and correlating such visits with a proportionate (and ironic) interest in the very thing they criticize. of course, by this logic, gun control activists can be looked at as, say, an NRA fanclub.

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

Never heard of it.

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 09:55 AM
link   

More strange analogies. Speaking about the topic at hand is quite useful.

My only point is: atheists practice theology. That's it.

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 09:57 AM
link   

More strange analogies. Speaking about the topic at hand is quite useful.

My only point is: atheists practice theology. That's it.

Great.

How?

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 10:00 AM
link   

theology

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 10:01 AM
link   

theology is the study of god and religious belief
edit on 12-1-2015 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 10:02 AM
link   

theology

That is not an answer.

You can't even explain your own opinion.

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 10:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm

What does that have to do with being atheist?

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 10:22 AM
link   

the theory is that you are kind of silly if you spend so much time arguing about something you dont believe in.

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 10:32 AM
link   

the theory is that you are kind of silly if you spend so much time arguing about something you dont believe in.

I have been both religious and atheist.

What are the thoughts/actions of the religious when they encounter a non-believer?

Mostly as atheist, it's about correcting the misconceptions.

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 10:39 AM
link   

What are the thoughts/actions of the religious when they encounter a non-believer?

hence why i used the word "theory".

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 10:54 AM
link   

hence why i used the word "theory".

I guess.

It is the religious who can't comprehend life without God.

I'd say many (not all, of course) atheists were assimilated into a god belief by parents or society. That many have experienced both sides.

Atheists who've experienced both have more understanding then a person who's only experienced God belief.

edit on 12-1-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 11:06 AM
link   

faith is not calculated trust. calculated trust is walking into a situation knowing that these are the possibilities and these are the chances of each outcome. faith is walking into a situation believing in an outcome for no reason whatsoever. or for reasons that are not based in actual reason.

Faith is walking around knowing that all is well. Faith is not about what will happen later, or about believing in a certain outcome. Faith is about knowing everything is taking care of itself.
When there is no faith one is worrying about yesterday or tomorrow and spending all the time trying to figure everything out to make everything safe.
He who has faith does not feel unsafe.

edit on 12-1-2015 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 11:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Itisnowagain

faith is not calculated trust. calculated trust is walking into a situation knowing that these are the possibilities and these are the chances of each outcome. faith is walking into a situation believing in an outcome for no reason whatsoever. or for reasons that are not based in actual reason.

Faith is walking around knowing that all is well. Faith is not about what will happen later, or about believing in a certain outcome. Faith is about knowing everything is taking care of itself.
When there is no faith one is worrying about yesterday or tomorrow and spending all the time trying to figure everything out to make everything safe.
He who has faith does not feel unsafe.

That could be considered "Power of Positive Thought" ---- which requires no godhead. PPT believes everything is connected by "energy". No God required.

Faith usually refers to a religious Faith, which includes a godhead and doctrine.

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 12:31 PM
link   

I don’t agree with this; Christians throw this argument around all the time. It’s not about arguing about something one doesn’t believe in, but about arguing about something one claims was never there in the first place.

The notion that one can believe or not believe in God is theistic in origin, and it is not only dubious, but also dangerous. It gives fuel to theistic fire, and leads to the myth of the unbeliever, the infidel and atheist in theistic nomenclature. To be proud to wear these purely theistic notions is ironic to say the least.

It is begging the question to assume that there is a God, or in your words, “something”, to not believe in, when there is no such something. Every time someone asserts they do not believe in God or deities, they are attributing it with some sense of being by doing so, and are left to argue within theistic contexts. It is simply untrue that one doesn’t believe in gods or deities; one either believes or not believes in certain stories, arguments and promises. Unless you wish to claim these stories, arguments and promises should be named “God”, atheists will be discussing the nature of something that has no nature.

My only gripe with atheism is that atheists are not atheist enough.

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 12:49 PM
link   

My only gripe with atheism is that atheists are not atheist enough.

What does "not atheist enough" mean?

Atheist and atheism are both nouns. Not adjectives, verbs, or adverb. Just a noun.

It means Lack of belief in a God. That's it. That is all it means.

Beyond lack of belief in a god, an atheist can believe whatever they want. That's the individuals philosophy.

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   

No matter the modern denotation, it does not erase the thousands of years worth of connotations—impiety, godlessness, heathenism, etc. from theistic implication. It has always been a slur born of theistic dogma, based on the assumption there is a god not to believe in.

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 01:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: darkbake
I find myself around two kinds of people.

My Analysis

I think that this kind of destructive thinking comes from low self-esteem in the second group I mentioned. I say this because studies I have read show that helping people is one of the fastest ways to success, and those who are at the top of a social ladder (presumably with higher self-esteem) engage in altruistic activities more often than those at the lower tiers of a social network.

Well the studies you read (but don't share with us), read differently then those that I read:

greatergood.berkeley.edu...

freethoughtblogs.com...

www.huffingtonpost.com...

Which all state that 'poor' people give a larger percentage of their 'income', or even more important, their 'net worth' (please do look up the definitions) then those that are better off. And that's just monetary donations, 'lower status' people also give more time to charitable causes.

And I won't even get into the 'atheists can give' crap.

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 01:25 PM
link   

a reply to: Klassified

I agree with you. Whether they admit it or not is the question. Faith is beneficial. What do you have faith in?

In my observation, those who identify themselves as atheists in an active way do so because they still wish to practice theology without the connotations such tastes imply. Thinking, reasoning and speaking about the nature of God is often on their mind, so to speak, despite the claims they do not believe in it.

This is totaly off topic but as an athestist I find your observation accurate and astute. I don't believe in a 'specific creator god' which is common usage of the word 'god' but do believe in powers and even beings more advanced/evolved/whatever then me and do ask their assistance. I also beseech nature and even technological gods often.

A thread could be in order.

I do put a lot of thought into things 'unseen'.

LOL - delightful.

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 01:32 PM
link   

No matter the modern denotation, it does not erase the thousands of years worth of connotations—impiety, godlessness, heathenism, etc. from theistic implication. It has always been a slur born of theistic dogma, based on the assumption there is a god not to believe in.

I don't care. I live today.

"And the Puritans, who were basically kicked out of England for trying to force their brand of Christianity as government ----- migrated south and in-part began the Southern Baptist movement. Who today are doing the same thing. Trying to force their brand of Christianity in government".

That I care about because that is real and that affects me now.

Believe anything you want. Slur whatever. But, DON'T force your theism on me through government.

Now I'm going to go back and read the OP again, because I think this might be going too far off track.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join