It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama to champion auto industry at temporarily closed Ford plant

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Another example of planning expertise.

Obama went to a Ford Motor plant to talk about the rebounding auto industry.

It was easy because the plant is temporarily shut down due to slow sales and weak demand.

Going to Detroit to talk about the economic recovery too I think.

Obama to champion auto industry at temporarily closed Ford plant

President Obama will travel to Detroit Wednesday to tout the rebounding auto industry, a centerpiece of the president’s defense of his handling of the economy.

The only problem?

The Ford plant where Obama will hold the event is temporarily closed because of a sagging demand for the small cars and hybrid vehicles the facility produces. The shortage of demand has been exacerbated by the lowering price of gas, according to analysts, as consumers flock to sports utility vehicles and other larger cars.

A *perfect* venue for another one of Obama’s failed policies.

Obama to tout auto recovery at closed Ford plant because of low demand for hybrids

The White House confirmed Monday that President Barack Obama will visit Ford Motor Co.’s Michigan Assembly plant on Wednesday — a factory that is closed this week because of lagging demand for its small gasoline-powered and hybrid cars.

www.youtube.com...=17

Empty-Chair POTUS Brags He Saved Auto Industry…At Empty Ford Plant

The *Irony*

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 09:24 PM
link   
This is classic! Thanks, I needed a laugh after all the carnage today.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Ford set record high profits last year.

www.cnbc.com...

Obama went to a factory that used to make unpopular models.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Obama wants me to buy a car? He needs to leave me enough money to afford one. Or, he needs to allow the economy to grow to the point where I can be employed past part-time hell.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 09:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Obama wants me to buy a car? He needs to leave me enough money to afford one. Or, he needs to allow the economy to grow to the point where I can be employed past part-time hell.

Soon I will need new place to live and a new car I cant afford either, need a new job too. I know the feeling bro

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 09:41 PM
link   
This plant shuts down for one week each month so it's not like it's shut down all the time. This is the plant that makes Ford's hybrid cars and those aren't selling that great right now. They build the Focus Electric, C-Max Hybrid and the C-Max Energi. The Ford Focus also is produced at the plant. Here is a little something the op's link conveniently left out of the story.

Obama hails auto industry comeback, Motor City revival

The plant has been shutdown since Dec. 24. as part of Ford's normal business cycle. All Ford plants in North America were shut down for two weeks, or from Dec. 24 to Jan. 4. The 5,000 workers are scheduled to return to work next week.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 09:43 PM
link   
I think he should give his famous "you didn't make that" speech. I'd like to see how well that would go over.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 09:44 PM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

Wanna know why they aren't selling that well?

No one can afford them ...

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 09:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: buster2010

Wanna know why they aren't selling that well?

No one can afford them ...

Seeing how the auto industry here in America sold the most cars and trucks last year since 2006 it looks like people can afford them quite well. Most people are just buying into the an electric car can't serve your needs BS the oil industry is putting out.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 09:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: MichiganSwampBuck
I think he should give his famous "you didn't make that" speech. I'd like to see how well that would go over.

Yeah it would be funny to see how many people that are too stupid to understand what he would be talking about. Like it was quite funny to laugh at the idiots in the MSM that didn't understand what he was talking about the first time he said it.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 10:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010

Yeah it would be funny to see how many people that are too stupid to understand what he would be talking about. Like it was quite funny to laugh at the idiots in the MSM that didn't understand what he was talking about the first time he said it.

Yeah, seriously. I don't understand how people can't understand what he meant by that. I want to think people are at least moderately intelligent, but when they pull that quote it always makes me think, "Really?"

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Here's one of 'em....

and he's real frisky too !!

Obama: If You've Got A Business, You Didn't Build That

Obama says success is not a result of someone working hard or being smart and that if you started your own business, you didn't build it yourself. (July 13, 2012).

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 10:16 PM
link   
It is nonsensical to purchase a "hybrid" when you can get very close to the same gas mileage in say, a dodge neon! The one I owned I managed to get 35 mpg on the highway! 35! Hell buy a 3 cylinder Geo...yeah you can't drive up hills but so what you got 1,000,000 mpg. Hybrids are good if you drive 20 seconds to work everyday at 30mph or less. The price of these things are ridiculous.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 10:38 PM
link   
a reply to: InfinityandBeyond

eh, good points.

I'd think a smart-car of some kind would be good,

but the issue with smart cars is they're considered unsafe due to much bigger/heavier cars on the road demanding bigger and heavier cars for protection.

which is a stupid scenario when you think of it.

yet it's so unlikely to be fixed.

the reason is that you could raise the gas-tax, thus raising the market incentive for cars to be fuel efficient and cost-efficient. but you'd be taken to task for raising gas-prices and "hurting murrikan jerbs", which would be true for a very short term, but then again it would increase federal revenue, which you could use to subsidize fuel-efficient cars, said subsidies would probably be so compromised they'd allow inefficient cars to be let through simply because they were made in a specific congresspersons district (whomes vote you couldn't lose). Then you'd see a ad for congressional election in a district where an engine plant was located and they'd be bitching about how their jobs were sent from [Sometown, Ohio] to [Otherplace, Indiana], where an electric-motor factory is, or something.
edit on 7-1-2015 by NonsensicalUserName because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 11:28 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

I work here.. all plants are down for winter break, holidays for family time etc.

We are currently all shutdown and coming back spending millions to install new lines.. .my place is building the new 10 speed trans and 6 speed front wheel drives.
I'm getting tons of overtime as we build and install new lines.. and. We are HIRING.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 11:29 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

I work here.. all plants are down for winter break, holidays for family time etc.

We are currently all shutdown and coming back spending millions to install new lines.. .my place is building the new 10 speed trans and 6 speed front wheel drives.
I'm getting tons of overtime as we build and install new lines.. and. We are HIRING.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 11:32 PM
link   
He should say buy American and repeal free trade. Enforce import tariffs.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Ford eh ?

Anyone remember this golden nugget ?

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 07:08 PM
link   
I'm glad he spoke there. Maybe the ignorant will finally see. Instead of looking at policies as to why the automobile industry were doing bad, give them a bailout. We knew where it was going. Where it always goes, China and Mexico. I don't care what the politicians say really. You know how you can tell if a politician is lying? Their lips are moving. I'm tired of the lip serve. Bring out the tar and feathers already.
edit on 8-1-2015 by LOSTinAMERICA because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-1-2015 by LOSTinAMERICA because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Looks like it's more than just a one-time shutdown....

I am an employee at this facility. I find it ironic that they would pick an auto plant where a product being made has suffered from low sales for at least eight months. We have been laid off at least one week every month. I wish the news media would stop saying it's just holiday downtime.

Unless sales pick up, the next news that comes from our plant will be that we will be losing a shift.

www.freep.com...

Don't count on the media to tell the whole story.....

join