It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Mohammed Challenge

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: TheArrow

The point is we are allowed to offend.
We will not be quiet due to threats of killing us due to us using our right to offend religion.
This is standing up for freedom of speech, the right to say what we want without being killed for it.
You want the world to ban cartoons of Mo Mo? or do you want freedom of speech?.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 06:11 PM
link   
a reply to: SubTruth

As time goes by even appeasers and apologists are going to have to see this more clearly.

Buster makes an incredibly important point

If anyone needs to see this more clearly it's the people who aren't willing to differentiate between Muslims and terrorists that claim to be Muslims. It's lazy thinking - and this is the sort of thing that's going to give many people the idea that it's fine to seek retribution where ever and whenever they find an opportunity

The word apologist gets bandied about a lot these days - to the point where it almost seems to mean traitor

There are people that will stand up to all manner of extremists in this world - no matter which group they belong to

Anti-Islam demonstrators were outnumbered by 10 to one in Cologne tonight as the city’s famous cathedral turned out its lights in a symbolic protest against the Pegida movement.

It's a good thing too. There are a lot of innocent people that are going to suffer because of these murdering extremists

edit on 1/7/2015 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I hope all participants in this thread are well armed, and have elaborate home security systems.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 06:12 PM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

originally posted by: boymonkey74
Interesting read on the outlawing of drawings of mo mo.

en.wikipedia.org...

So it is not forbidden in the Koran...

In fact, years ago on a documentary I saw that followed along the path of a long Muslim pilgrimage, there were many houses with paintings and murals of Mohammed in the towns along the pilgrimage and these villages were well known for their images of Mohammed.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 06:14 PM
link   

I hope the offense is worth the loss of respect.

Bad taste is bad taste.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 06:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: ausername
I hope all participants in this thread are well armed, and have elaborate home security systems.

As a recent diagnosis of cancer again..
I'm the cat backed into a corner..
I don't care for people dying.
No one will get my support on that.

But I do care that people get to speak up.

So without further ado..
I will now pop in Megadeth. Turn it up to 11..
And blast " Holy wars and the dying "

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 06:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: rupertg
There is only one true Mohammed...

Technically Cassius. He converted to Islam.
But yeah, best Muhammad pic so far.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Hey people know me I fight against all religion not just Islam.
But also me or others mocking any religion lose respect? I think the respect lost is more on the people who kill because they are just offended.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Bad taste is bad taste.

Yet freedom of speech is to speak ones mind regardless of offence caused and without reprocussions beyond verbally registering their offended stance.

Respect shouldn't be lost for speaking ones mind.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 06:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheArrow

Bad taste is bad taste.

...and I think I am safe in saying everyone participating in this thread supports your right to take offense and your right to vocalize said offense. That's what this thread is all about, recognition that you have a right to be offended, but do not have any right to control the thoughts, attitudes, and speech of anyone not screennamed "TheArrow."

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Bad taste is bad taste.

Sometimes in some situations, a bad taste joke is the only joke available.
Like battlefield humour, or morgue humour. In some situations there really isnt much room for any other kind.
The people killed today were very much bastions of "bad taste jokes", it was their bread and butter. They still have my respect for upholding their belief of freedom of expression even to the point of causing much offense that it cost them their lives. Thats pretty honourable to me whether I agree with their extreme left wing views or not.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 06:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: solargeddon
Yet freedom of speech is to speak ones mind regardless of offence caused and without reprocussions beyond verbally registering their offended stance.

I'm not saying you don't have a right to free speech, I'm just saying that you free of speech comes with social consequence.

That social consequence is loss of respect.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 06:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: OneManArmy
Sometimes in some situations, a bad taste joke is the only joke available.
Like battlefield humour, or morgue humour. In some situations there really isnt much room for any other kind.
The people killed today were very much bastions of "bad taste jokes", it was their bread and butter. They still have my respect for upholding their belief of freedom of expression even to the point of causing much offense that it cost them their lives. Thats pretty honourable to me whether I agree with their extreme left wing views or not.

Don't you dare compare the idiocy happening in this thread with the brave artists and publishers that signed their names to the images they published, even after receiving death threats.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Hey people know me I fight against all religion not just Islam.
But also me or others mocking any religion lose respect? I think the respect lost is more on the people who kill because they are just offended.

There is a difference between insulting, "mocking", offending and PROVOKING.

Especially (not exclusively) when aimed at Muslims and their beloved prophet.

It is a tough call. Expression, freedom or censorship through fear.

Are we mocking, or provoking?

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 06:33 PM
link   
For balance and solidarity

It's all bromance!

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 06:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
That's what this thread is all about, recognition that you have a right to be offended, but do not have any right to control the thoughts, attitudes, and speech of anyone not screennamed "TheArrow."

Did I say that I have any right to control the thoughts, attitudes, and speech of anyone else?

I merely suggested that this thread is going to cost people a loss of respect, and I hope that it's worth it.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 06:37 PM
link   
a reply to: stosh64

and even on a rock on mars , which ironically was toast shaped

funbox

link   
a reply to: ausername

Are we mocking, or provoking?

Well treating them as equal actually....there is as much cartoon satire relating to other religions as there is to Islam, it's all down to how you choose to perceive it.

link   
I wonder if the people killed by these animals today.

Give a damn about social consequence or loss of respect.

My guess is....No

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 06:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: solargeddon

I'm not saying you don't have a right to free speech, I'm just saying that you free of speech comes with social consequence.

That social consequence is loss of respect.

The consequences for saying the wrong thing at the wrong time can vary from getting yourself killed, to losing some respect.

Being stupid or getting yourself beaten up on purpose is not freedom of expression, but I have seen some videos on youtube where it does actually seem to be a form of comedy.
Horses for courses, thats what the whole secular freedom thing is all about.

new topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join