It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wow....talk about a spin on the topic....seriously? Paris terror attack: Journalism is under fire

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   
These journalists were standing up for freedom of speech and were not willing to go against their own values for the sake of upsetting a few radicalised extremist COWARDS!!

The thing is, Islam is probably the second most practised religion in France and yet what do everyday folk know about it? All we are fed is the extremists slant on Islam, this in turn creates fear on the street and these guys were not willing to stand down and give into the minority.

I say screw the extremists, they really need to get over themselves. I appreciate they never will, simply because they are brainwashed into thinking they are right, that Islam is the one true faith and the rest of us are merely infidels. When in truth, Islam promotes tolerance of other faiths.

It's the sick and twisted Imam's and the followers who would never make anything of their lives if it wasn't for extremism, that should not be tolerated and this needs to be led by the Muslim community.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 01:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978

It's the sick and twisted Imam's and the followers who would never make anything of their lives if it wasn't for extremism, that should not be tolerated and this needs to be led by the Muslim community.

I agree that this needs to be led by the Muslim community, because if anyone else was to try I think it would just make the problem worse. The west has done enough incitement of the Muslim world, we burned our bridges I think. Thats why its up to the moderates to do what has to be done. Sadly many "moderates" sympathise with the extremist cause, because of our endeavours into the middle east. Its an omnishambles of chaos that Albert Pike would be really proud of.
His third world war is quickly becoming a self fulfilling prophecy of hate filled revenge attacks.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: theabsolutetruth

That fact of UK lack of support when the first scream about these cartoonist work and now not correctly reporting the news. Or perhaps that paper tiger sham of a man Cammie the PM speech is why for 18 months I don't own a TV lic.... I am picking up the news feed here....

I am grateful for the Paris people coming out in support at a dangerous time holding Pens up high in the air for support....

Also pleased not to hear what I expected a second attack, perhaps, in Germany!!!

I can only hope and pray for comfort for the families that have lost the 12 people dead and for the families of the 3 still in critical condition.....

edit on 1/7/2015 by IceHappy because: add a cartoon

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 01:32 PM
link   
The truth is that this story comes too late. If these tactics didn't work, if everyone reported the truth and wasn't inclined to treat one religion with kid gloves as compared to the others, then there would be too many targets for this approach to be easily practical. However, since we have gotten into the habit of appeasing, it's going downhill. The few who are brave enough to be doing what they should make easy targets and stick out and when these things happen it only serves to intimidate the rest all the more thoroughly - see how Comedy Central handled the South Park Mohamad episode. They wouldn't even let them show him in a freakin' Teddy Bear suit because ... threats.

And once no one will lampoon Mohamad, what will they start threatening us for offending them with next? Will it be our wanton, underdressed women? What?

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 01:49 PM
link   
How is journalism NOT under fire? You absolutely must be courageous to be a reporter covering stories regarding Islam. Did 13 people not just get shot for what was published in a magazine? If I was a journalist I would really think twice before publishing the truth because who knows who will get shot or blown up for what you say?

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pants3204
How is journalism NOT under fire? You absolutely must be courageous to be a reporter covering stories regarding Islam. Did 13 people not just get shot for what was published in a magazine? If I was a journalist I would really think twice before publishing the truth because who knows who will get shot or blown up for what you say?

And by those actions you would give the terrorists a victory.
Appeasement is NOT an option. It would only justify the actions of the terrorists.
The worlds media should unite in ridiculing the cowards that carried out this attack. A cartoon of mohammed on every front page, are the terrorists then going to kill every journalist in the world?
What we need is solidarity, not seperation, not fear, and certainly not appeasement.
Appeasement has gotten us here in the first place.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: OneManArmy

I totally agree. My point was that those reservations will be there and that it will be in the back of their minds when they publish articles that may be construed as critical of Islam.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Courageous seems to have taken on a new meaning I guess.

There are quite a few good journalists out there - and what they do is extraordinarily courageous

There are many in prisons all over the world - many more have been killed either in the line of duty, or to be silenced

61 Journalists Killed in 2014/Motive Confirmed

Don't confuse journalism with the media - it's not the same thing

edit on 1/7/2015 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 02:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spiramirabilis

There are quite a few good journalists out there - and what they do is extraordinarily courageous

There are many in prisons all over the world - many more have been killed either in the line of duty, or to be silenced

Right, but as far as I know, these guys never traveled anywhere for their brand of journalism....it was satire and they simply poked fun of political/religious ideas with cartoons....requires no real investigative journalism.

I could be wrong, but from what I understand, these guys never really left their office to actually cover a story of any sort....that is what I consider a real journalist.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 02:15 PM
link   
dbl post.
edit on 1/7/15 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Right, but as far as I know, these guys never traveled anywhere for their brand of journalism....it was satire and they simply poked fun of political/religious ideas with cartoons....requires no real investigative journalism.

Never underestimate the power of the written word - satire is an incredibly brave art form, especially when confronting dangerous people in dangerous times

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 02:18 PM
link   

The article called them courageous journalists not real journalists. Just because they don't live up to your personal standards of what is an isn't a journalist doesn't mean they aren't journalists.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 02:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: OneManArmy

originally posted by: Pants3204

And by those actions you would give the terrorists a victory.
Appeasement is NOT an option. It would only justify the actions of the terrorists.
The worlds media should unite in ridiculing the cowards that carried out this attack. A cartoon of mohammed on every front page, are the terrorists then going to kill every journalist in the world?
What we need is solidarity, not seperation, not fear, and certainly not appeasement.
Appeasement has gotten us here in the first place.

I wouldn't call it appeasement, if that were the case we would probably be looking at the Islamisation of Europe. At the moment, they are exploiting our tolerance and that's the worrying thing.

When has terrorism ever ended without one of two things happening? It's either a pre cursor to revolution or it ends up in negotiations with each side making concessions. Sure, it can last for years, but that's the only way the War on Terra can conclude.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

The article called them courageous journalists not real journalists. Just because they don't live up to your personal standards of what is an isn't a journalist doesn't mean they aren't journalists.

As far as I know Satire is not journalism in any form....it is satire written for the purpose of

the use of humor, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize people's stupidity or vices, particularly in the context of contemporary politics and other topical issues.

That isn't journalism......

While it brings to light issues with current events/ideas/people/etc...it isn't journalism....and not just my definition of journalism....

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I think that is how they want it to appear and that may be a secondary benefit for those who pulled this off. But just recently France voted to drop the sanctions against Russia. Yesterday I read. And then this, with one of the people reported to have used Russian? I think there is a lot more to this than meets the eye. I can think of who promoted the sanctions and who supports the fundamentalist brutal cult of Islam taking over Egypt and Libya and then Syria....

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Never underestimate the power of the written word - satire is an incredibly brave art form, especially when confronting dangerous people in dangerous times

I agree....when what you do is poke people/ideas with sticks all day, it is very dangerous because somebody is likely to poke back with a bigger one. Problem is, this form of writing does nothing to open anyone's eyes to a story, it is political humor showing how stupid someone may think another's ideas are.

I am not defending what happened to them in any way, but look at it like this.....school shootings happen because of a bully that arguably uses something similar to "personal satire"....bullies poke long enough and unleash a beast.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 02:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

As far as I know Satire is not journalism in any form....it is satire written for the purpose of

the use of humor, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize people's stupidity or vices, particularly in the context of contemporary politics and other topical issues.

That isn't journalism......

While it brings to light issues with current events/ideas/people/etc...it isn't journalism....and not just my definition of journalism....

These are the guys who have been dropping little clues about how ridiculous the World is. They listen to people, they discuss, throw ideas around and express it in art form or witty columns. They often tell it how it actually is and for that, they deserve to be known by what they have been called. Honest Journalists!!

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords

I guess I'm not understanding your pov. If you are writing about a crazy lunatic religious ideology and using satire as your style to make your point, and that very same bunch of lunatics threaten to kill you for it, but you continue to expose their ideology as ridiculous AND dangerous anyway, YOU don't think that is being courageous? We all know that the West has been infiltrated and/or have homegrown radical Islamists within their borders even as we speak, so I fail to see where the country matters.

My POV is that this article is calling satirical journalism, courageous journalism.

this place, while it was a tragedy, it not a real news outlet....to lend it the credibility of being such by calling the cartoonists and satirists courageous journalists is a farce in my opinion.

I agree with your wording here, they were not 'journalists'.

However they were, in my opinion, courageous. They were pointing out the outrageous beliefs and behaviors of these radicals. And regardless of previous attacks and death threats continued to point out their perceived outrageousness of Islam. Right or wrong I believe they had brass B@!!s and I support their right to do it.

They were similar to South Park writers Trey Parker and Matt Stone, just pushing the limits and pointing out outrageousness as they perceive it. Parker and Stone would be brave in my book if they had been physically threatened and previously attacked by Christian extremists. Yet continued to speak out about THEIR perceived outrageousness regardless.

And I am a follower of Jesus, but I would defend their right to free speech.

As a Christian I may even protest it, peacefully. Which I would support anyone in Islam to do. Its ALL free speech.

These cowards that committed these executions today, google the liveleak videos, deserve nothing less than extermination. And yes, I would say the same IF a Christian extremist committed the same acts.

I guess in the end, I am not going to get my panties in a twist over the way a MSM outlet worded their propaganda.
Anything coming out of ANY MSM outlet is nothing less than pre approved propaganda.

I agree its a farce, I am just surprised you are surprised by it.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 02:34 PM
link   

I could be wrong, but from what I understand, these guys never really left their office to actually cover a story of any sort....that is what I consider a real journalist.

Satire is generally the poking fun at current events and politics and highlighting ridiculous opinions or attitudes using irony, wit, sarcasm and general humour to shine a light on some very dark aspects of our country and world.
To make satire about your own countries current events, do you need to go anywhere?
I thought the best place to be would be in front of the telly watching rolling 24 hour news feeds. So you can point and laugh at the propaganda and bold faced lies being served up as truth. Because to be quite honest, if I couldnt laugh, I would probably cry.
You are describing an "investigative" journalist. Which is just a small (tiny these days) part of the journalism trade.
A free press and freedom of expression are cornerstones of a free society. From the school rag, to the national news, its all journalism. Talk radio is considered journalism. Reporting current events is journalism, keeping a diary(a journal) is journalism. Even blogging is journalism, regardless of what just you consider a journalist.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Why does it matter what you call them? The point of the article was to say that these people were being courageous for posting their cartoon without fearing the retribution.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join