It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can anyone explain the "Dark Net" to me ?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: whyamIhere

It may seem unbelievable but most of the internet is just a small small portion of it. Much of it worldwide is the dark-er net of un-searchable, unmentionable and illegal stuff.

Hence: The DARK NET

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Here's an interesting statistic:

"As of 2014 Google has indexed 200 Terabytes (TB) of data ... However, Google’s 200 TB is just an estimated 0.004 percent of the total Internet. Perhaps even more impressive is the fact that 16 years of video is uploaded to YouTube every day."

www.websitemagazine.com...

"According to computer giant IBM, 2.5 exabytes - that's 2.5 billion gigabytes (GB) - of data was generated every day in 2012. That's big by anyone's standards. "About 75% of data is unstructured, coming from sources such as text, voice and video," says Mr Miles. "

www.bbc.com...

Sales of hard disk drives are around 130 million per year. Assuming they latest models are 4 Terabytes of data, that's an additional 500 million Terabytes of storage each year. Even desktop servers and laptop PC's are coming with 4 Terabytes of storage and millions are sold each year. Each of these gives a good estimate of the potential size of the darknet.

About 130 millio

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 05:52 AM
link   
It's all been covered on what the darknet is.

I use it every day. But mainly because I don't like the fact that im tracked by most websites I visit.

I use the tor (vileda) bundle so any traffic going through my Firefox is anonimised.

But yes using tor opens up a new Internet so to speak, it gives you access to a new domain tld (.onion) which cannot be found by conventional search engines. You need to know the address to visit it. Which is why it's secure.

Many people use it just to keep safe. In some countries people can be prosecuted for standing up for their beliefs and so using tor stops you being tracked.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join