It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"The Puppy" - My 6-Year-Old Daughter Wrote This

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Just wanted to use my first thread to share the work of one of my favorite authors - my little girl.

Maddie just turned 7 last month, but she was 6-years-old when she wrote this story. Her mother and I feel she has a real gift for language.

She is an avid reader and writes short, often fragmentary, fiction almost compulsively.

She says she will one day own a book store where she sells her own work.

I hope you enjoy this one.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 10:16 AM
link   
A 7 year old uses correct spelling and punctuation? Words like "frolic" "continually" "steady, structured sides" "and so it was with Johnny's tree house"?
A 7 year old using the word "aghast" ?

Come on. Really?

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 10:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
A 7 year old uses correct spelling and punctuation? Words like "frolic" "continually" "steady, structured sides" "and so it was with Johnny's tree house"?

Come on. Really?

My daughter was reading Lord Of The Rings when she was 7.

Yes, good parenting, and early education, is rewarded with smart kids.

~Tenth

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Come on. Really?

I was reading at the age of 3 and by 6 would write stories using a dictionary and thesaurus.

Not strange for a child to embrace something with such a passion that curiosity can only enhance. Also wanting to write like a grown up will push further.

How can a 6 yr old become a concert pianist? Read and write a language called music that most don't grasp.

Very possible.

Peace

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 10:47 AM
link   
I was reading by three and doing sums by four.

OP: I look forward to her future endeavors!

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Your daughter has talent .. keep encouraging her to write ..

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Come on. Really?

Yep. We're "continually" amazed at her writing. Totally natural and untutored as well.

She also attached this at the end of the story:

She saw phonetic spellings on dictionary.com and thought they were neat.
edit on 7-1-2015 by muchmadness because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Here is a poem she wrote the other day (first the left column, then the right):

edit on 7-1-2015 by muchmadness because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 02:29 PM
link   
It's good to see a kid take an interest in writing. I have a nephew who wrote incredible stories when he was 7-8 years old. He's 13 now, and plays guitar and piano.

Most of my relatives or friends' little ones just constantly play games on their wi-fi tablets. It's a bit sad, imo.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower
A special child!

There are many more than one would have thought.

They get deposited into the current school system and most end up losing their drive and creativity.

I'd recommend, if possible, home schooling or some private, specialized education if she's interested or losing her interest/creativity.

In any event, it reflects some good parenting...

edit on 7-1-2015 by nwtrucker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 04:15 PM
link   
That's so great! She has an amazing gift. My big girl is 8 and loves writing as well!

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 04:22 PM
link   
When I was 7 I was writing stories about pumpkins getting their limbs chopped off & greed being the root of all evil.

This cutesy puppie # is delusional.

That being said, you probably don't want your children suffering the same type of enlightenment I've always been cursed with.
edit on 7-1-2015 by Eunuchorn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 04:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: nwtrucker
a reply to: tothetenthpower
A special child!

There are many more than one would have thought.

They get deposited into the current school system and most end up losing their drive and creativity.

I'd recommend, if possible, home schooling or some private, specialized education if she's interested or losing her interest/creativity.

In any event, it reflects some good parenting...

Actually we are homeschooling. We put her in public school for first grade this year and pulled her out after about three months. Couldn't really keep sending her in there with a clear conscience.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 04:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: muchmadness

She also attached this at the end of the story:

You could get banned for that pronunciation of "continually"!

It's great to see that there are people who value literacy and foster it. Well done.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 10:38 PM
link   
lol she has better spelling and grammar abilities than 99% of ATS posters, assuming it's legit.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Just wanted to use my first thread to share the work of one of my favorite authors - my little girl.

Maddie just turned 7 last month, but she was 6-years-old when she wrote this story. Her mother and I feel she has a real gift for language.

She is an avid reader and writes short, often fragmentary, fiction almost compulsively.

A message for your daughter:

"Dear Maddie,

I don't know you, and you don't know me. I don't even know where you live.

Your father shared your story, "The Puppy" with me.

Very beautiful. It made my smile, and very happy knowing that someday you will be grown up, as old as I am now, and the world will be a better place.

Know you mum and dad love you very much, and are very proud of you.... always.

Your friend somewhere in the world,

Jamie"

Thank you for sharing this. Very special.

edit on 7-1-2015 by Jamie1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 07:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jamie1

A message for your daughter:

"Dear Maddie,

I don't know you, and you don't know me. I don't even know where you live.

Your father shared your story, "The Puppy" with me.

Very beautiful. It made my smile, and very happy knowing that someday you will be grown up, as old as I am now, and the world will be a better place.

Know you mum and dad love you very much, and are very proud of you.... always.

Your friend somewhere in the world,

Jamie"

Thank you for sharing this. Very special.

Hi! It's me, Maddie, writing back to you!!! I just wanted to say, thank you for appreciating my work!!! It's very special to me, too, but it was like my one-millionth story!

top topics

join