It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

French Magazine which portrayed Prophet 10 Dead in Office.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 06:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: SprocketUK

originally posted by: boymonkey74
a reply to: SprocketUK

Yes it does but extremist fundamentalist Islam sure does not...goes for the same for any religion.

To a degree, yes. But I don't see Jehovas Witnesses killing and maiming at the drop of a hat.

Yes we don't. Islam certainly has the stage and the spot light in this regard. There really isn't any comparison.

The constant taking advantage of these sort of incidents to admonish all religion is sounding more like a defense of Islam, more and more every time we hear it.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 06:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: EA006

a reply to: EA006

If you shut up just because some nutjob threatens you then there is no freedom of speech.

Rather than stupid, I'd say these people were brave for not kow towing

Freedom of speech? Those cartoons were printed by people working from a building under lock down with high security and airlock doors.
It's also just been pointed out that individual people were asked for by name.

You can write for stars mate, my opinion remains the same.

Today it'll be cartoons, tomorrow it'll be any article that is pro anything they don't like, next week it'll be all women wearing burkhas and next year it'll be convert or die.

Freedom of speech is an absolute, if scumbags get their own way on one thing, they'll always move onto something else that they can take offence in.

Saying they should have shut up is akin to rolling over.

Toatlly agree. My fear is that Western news outlets will now shy away but my wish is that the next edition of every magazing / periodicial, newspaper, etc will show the cartoons - a kind of massive "we are not intimidated".

Won't happen though.....

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 06:16 AM
link   

If you shut up just because some nutjob threatens you then there is no freedom of speech.

Freedom of speech? Those cartoons were printed by people working from a building under lock down with high security and airlock doors.

Today it'll be cartoons, tomorrow it'll be any article that is pro anything they don't like, next week it'll be all women wearing burkhas and next year it'll be convert or die.

Freedom of speech is an absolute, if scumbags get their own way on one thing, they'll always move onto something else that they can take offence in.

Rolling over? They have been warned before.
I see your point but it's a continuous slur on these people by this magazine and the irresponsible editors have just had 11 people killed.
The attackers are clearly in the wrong, but so is the magazine.
We'd all love to see Mohammed shagging a pig in the paper but those with a bit of common sense don't print it because it's wrong and leads to scenario's like this.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 06:18 AM
link   
I take your point, but what else were they to do? Give in to threats and no longer publish anything that they don't like?
Free speech is either protected properly or society just pays lip service to it.

+9 more 
posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Completely disagree with you, im afraid.

If people react that badly to satire, then they are no use to the human race. What are you suggesting? That we condone this type of behaviour?

The editors bear no responsibility here. The deaths are solely down to those wielding the guns, who chose to pursue this course of action.
edit on 7-1-2015 by Flavian because: toning down as i misinterpreted original post

link   

originally posted by: Flavian

Toatlly agree. My fear is that Western news outlets will now shy away but my wish is that the next edition of every magazing / periodicial, newspaper, etc will show the cartoons - a kind of massive "we are not intimidated".

Won't happen though.....

I'm not intimidated either, you can say what you want freely, but you run the risk of reprisals.
edit on 7-1-2015 by EA006 because: (no reason given)

link   
Free speech is not a licence to say what every you want to say .This is a lesson children should learn and take into adulthood .Although the law addresses some aspects like sex abuse , and libel ,the fact that you can hurt someone or a group with what comes out of your mouth ,means that it's wrong to do so .It's like the bullies at the school yard picking on someone that finally wont take it anymore and fights back .Do you stand up for the bullies right to free speech ? ......I don't condone what they did ,but at the same time ,if you walked into a motorcycle bar and started calling them bikers a bunch of wimps ,you might expect to be challenged . Not a real smart thing to do and I might add that a magazine operation should consider the value of their content .

link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74
a reply to: HumanPLC

Not found.

Its been taken down! Ive just rechecked.

I actually still have the original tab open (where the page already loaded) but when i open a new tab and put it in i get not found.

I dont think its for any nefarious reasons though as its the same video Sky News are now showing on TV.

edit on 7/1/15 by HumanPLC because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Pic of the gunmen facing off with police.

I sure hope they get these scumbags.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 06:21 AM
link   
not confirmed yet but its starting to filter out

+2 more 
posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 06:24 AM
link   

I take your point, but what else were they to do? Give in to threats and no longer publish anything that they don't like?
Free speech is either protected properly or society just pays lip service to it.

Every major and minor news paper in the world should publish a copy of the cartoon in question.

link   

originally posted by: Shiloh7
a reply to: daaskapital
you have to ask yourself would a group of cathlics do an acti like this?

I just want to complete your question, because if it's about religion then:

«you have to ask yourself would a group of catholics or jews do an act like this?»
about catholics (christinans) i don't know.. but jews... well, it could be a different story.

appearances is always appearances.. until there's no proofs to accuse anyone we should not jump into conclusions about the «Real» motive behind this ... because no suspects where arrested at this point...

nevertheless at this point the motive and real origin of this terrorist attack should remain open, IMO.

link   

I'll repeat. Free speech doesn't come from fortified buildings. It's either free as you say or it's deliberately baiting someone.
In this case it's the latter.

link   

originally posted by: Flavian

Won't happen though.....

I'm not intimidated either, you can say what you want freely, but you run the risk of reprisals.

I take your point but i am getting sick of it now. It is a western society with western laws and ideals. When we go to Muslim countries, we rightly have to obey their laws and customs. The time has come to stop bending over for Muslims in the West.

I certainly do not advocate punishing Muslims because of nutters like these but at the same time it must be made clear thart if you want to live here, you follow our laws. If you do not like them, you are free to move.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 06:26 AM
link   
I see people here have not learned from history, nor has the media.

Apart from this being a terrorist incident, there is absolutely no evidence of who carried out this attack, or why.
Remember a certain far right Nationalist called Anders Behring Breivik? Within moments of him setting off his bomb in Norway people were screaming and ranting about Islam, then it turned out to be a white, Norwegian, Fascist nutter wanting to start a war.

Nothing about this incident gives us reason to believe these attackers were Islamic, if anything the evidence we do have suggests they are not. This is NOT the M.O of the average Islamic extremist, there has not yet been any mention of claim, there has been no martyrdom, there has not yet been any political statement by those responsible - something the Islamists love to do to get more headlines.

Just look at the photo released of the two gunmen, all dressed in black, either side of their paused car, firing at police... does that REALLY sound anything like any other Islamic extremist attack? I don't know about you guys and girls, but that sounds more like military tactics, and so often we see the far right coming from a military background.

In addition, lets not forget that the far right has had a lot of prominence in France over the last ten years, lets also not forget that one of their most senior party members was recently outed by a magazine in France, and he took them to court, and won. That was an attack on press freedom too, and it was a from a far right Nationalist NOT a Muslim.

We do not know who is responsible here, but there is no reason to instantly assume that it's Islamic extremism, and several reasons to believe that it might NOT BE.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 06:26 AM
link   
These fanatics are so insecure in their ideology that they will kill people who make JOKES.
They are so insecure that they feel threatened by women,and do all they can to opress them.

What a nonsensical steaming pile of turd their fanatical ideology is.
And they claim it is a legitimate religion?

They are nothing but backwards uneducated murderers who worship violence and death.

My thoughts are with the victims families.
Vive la France !

+11 more 
posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 06:27 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

it's a continuous slur on these people by this magazine and the irresponsible editors have just had 11 people killed.
The attackers are clearly in the wrong, but so is the magazine. .

Satire is not a reason for people to commit murder against the satirists. In fact, if the murderers are Muslim then they have just proven the satire to be true. The murderers are the perps. The dead victims are not.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Police now confirming the militants yelled '' we have avenged the prophet '' when they ran off. 12 have died now.
edit on am629318072015-01-07T06:29:10-06:00062015p by Agit8dChop because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 06:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Rocker2013

A video being shown on Sky news shows two of the gunmen,and it appears as though at least one of them shouts "allah akbar"while shooting...

Who do you reckon goes round shouting that?
Jews?
Christians?

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 06:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Rocker2013

Actually, based on the threats and attacks previously carried out against Charlie Hebdo, we have every reason to assume this was perpetrated by "Islamic Terrorists". They have done it before and have threatened it several times since.

That said though, you are correct to point out that we probably shouldn't jump the gun just yet....

edit on 7-1-2015 by Flavian because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join