It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1 Bajillion Ounces Of Soda In A 12 Ounce Can....

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 01:06 AM
link   
If I'm trapped out in the Sahara or mowing my yard in 110 degree heat, my 12 ounce soda holds about 5 ounces it seems. Today as I was putting some cans in the fridge I found out that if that can hits the floor and explodes... It contains about a bajillion ounces above and beyond the 12 stated on the label. I saw it happening. It was akin to a sugar coated Apocolypse.

Do I try to grab the can and move it, thus chancing the spray spreading even further for a chance of minimizing the spray field? Do I just stand there and let it spray all over me and everything else? I was helpless and opted for option 2. I'll never know if option 1 would have been the better choice. It certainly couldn't have been worse.

My kitchen looked like Willy Wonka threw up all over my walls, floor, in the refrigerator, ceiling, oven, hutch, etc. Where in holy hades did all the freaking soda come from? It was like a never ending well. It was as if the fates were using me in their own sick version of funniest home videos. For hours I mopped... Still sticky. I washed off... Still sticky. I let soak... Still freaking sticky damn it. It was Groundhog Day all over again, and again, and again.

Rinse and repeat. Rinse and repeat. I'm sure that I will be running into sticky spots for the next 6 months when I least expect it. It would have been easier just to set the whole kitchen on fire and rebuild.

The dog? The one that begs the entire time I am cooking? The one that I trip over when trying to get stuff out of the oven? Absolutely no help at all. He stayed under his electric blanket and didn't even show up to see if I might need help. Dirty traitor.

My daughter? The one who begs the entire time I am cooking? The one that I trip over when trying to get stuff out of the oven? Absolutely no help at all. It was the first time in 17 years that she didn't need to go to the bathroom every 30 minutes... She knew. She avoided walking through there like the Black Plague.

The whole thing was nuts. I'm sure there was a cloud of colorful metaphors floating like fog over my house. There was absolutely enough soda in that can to fill three bathtubs. I don't know how they did it...

Sticky nightmares.

edit on 1/7/2015 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Oh great...now ISIS will be using them for sticky IEDs.....Shhhhhh!

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 01:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

bummer... lol

Opening it works... reduces the mess to an isolated area as opposed to the entire area...

On the plus side... You'll know why the dog is licking the walls

edit on 7-1-2015 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Man logic: explode eight more sodas until the entire kitchen floor color matches. Easier than mopping.

Women are so complicated....

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Lol, nice one. I did it once to a 2 litre bottle, so I feel your pain. That is over 3 pints.

Of course, my dog helped and helped and then helped some more. Then he went hyper for the rest of the day as the sugar hit his system.

Before anyone tells me that dogs should not drink the stuff .... he is a very big boy. Lol, still went hyper.

Yes, it is a fun mess to clean up.

P

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 01:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hefficide

Man logic: explode eight more sodas until the entire kitchen floor color matches. Easier than mopping.

Women are so complicated....

I mean, I don't see any issues with this thought process at all!

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 01:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

I will try to remember opening it if I'm ever so unfortunate again. I hope not. Once is all anyone deserves.

a reply to: Hefficide

Lol... If I could have gotten away with that I might have actually tried it. It would have been a pain to become perpetually stuck to your own kitchen floor until you became fossilized.

I guess I could have just cordoned the whole area off and bought everyone bedpans.

a reply to: pheonix358

Gahhh! I can't imagine a 2 liter. That would have taken BP oil spill effort to contain. It's nuts how it starts to get sticky so fast and the more you clean the worse it gets until it's just gone.

I am literally lol imagining your dog though... I was hoping mine would make an effort to help, but alas. He was a dirty traitor and left me to my own devices. If I tried that with him, I would get "death by big, moist eyes". The leverage is ridiculous.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Starred!

1 liter (1000mls) of water is 10cm cubed (100mm x 100mm x 100mm).

That means that 1cm cubed (10mm x 10mm x 10mm) is = 1ml.

1/10th of that (10mm x 10mm x 1mm) = 100 microliters.

1/10th of that, again, (10mm x 10mm x 0.1mm) = 10 microliters.

Increase that area by a factor of 10 sqr (100mm x 100mm x 0.1mm) = 100 microliters

Increase that area, again by a factor of 10 sqr, (1000mm x 1000mm x 0.1mm) = 1000microliters = 1ml

1000mm x 1000mm = 1 sqr meter

Therefor a 12 (fluid) ounce (oz) can of soda being 350mls, would spill and cover 3.5 sqr meters to a depth of 0.1mm.

Since a can of soda contains about 10% in sugar [35grams] that means a 1meter by 35cm strip, out of 1m x 3.5m x 0.1mm deep pool of soda, would be covered in pure sugar to a depth of 0.1mm and that is about 3 sqr feet of 0.1mm deep pure raw sugar kitchen coverage.

Now as the average kitchen size is about 10 ft x 10ft = 100 sqr ft and 1m sqr covers 10.76 sqr feet THEN the 12oz can of soda covered 3.5 sqr meters [about 37 sqr feet] or 37% of the kitchen floor to depth of 0.1mm. [sugar alone would have covered 3% of the floor to depth of 0.1mm]

With about 1/3rd of your kitchen floor covered in sugary soda I wish you the best of luck in having mopped it all up!

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 02:23 AM
link   
I once got into a truck, Texas summer, and when I slammed the door a Coke on the seat exploded.
For a about a second there I thought I had taken a shotgun blast.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Thanks for the laugh. Seriously, though, I hope you got it cleaned up. I've had it happen to me and it's not fun.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 03:26 AM
link   

This is one of the funniest threads I have ever read. I laughed until I cried, then I laughed some more.

I once got a nice spray of soda on the ceiling. When I cleaned it up, I then had a nice whiter area on the ceiling. Had to paint the ceiling. Exploding soda, the gift that keeps on giving.
edit on 7-1-2015 by Iamschist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 06:47 AM
link   
a reply to: ZiggyZagg

I have no clue if the Stephen Hawking post you just made is true or not BUT bravo to you sir or madam for it. That was pretty awesome either way!

a reply to: skunkape23

I know right? That's how I knew everyone was ignoring my need for assistance lol. You could have heard it across the street! How long did it take you to get it all off the windshield?

a reply to: Iamschist

That's what I'm here for. A laugh.
I figure I would have laughed had it been someone else.

My wall now looks exactly like your ceiling. I can either paint or ignore it. I'm not sure I can ignore it. I need to time to recooporate before even thinking about it after yesterday lol.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 07:16 AM
link   

I'm sorry, also sorry no one rescued you, including your dog, who would eat cat poo if he could, but will not drink soda, he must know something. I am however still laughing. Not at your circumstances, but at how you described it. Yes, best to wait on the wall. Any chance a sig. other might do it? After all you are now officially a soda accident martyr.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Just don't ever pop a can of warm soda in the ice bin in the freezer to quickly cool it off and then forget about it. Don't.

Bad bad bad.

Especially if it's grape soda.
edit on 7-1-2015 by eeyipes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 07:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: eeyipes
Just don't ever pop a can of warm soda in the ice bin in the freezer to quickly cool it off and then forget about it. Don't.

Bad bad bad.

Especially if it's grape soda.

I can't even tell you how many extra fingers and toes I'd need to have to explain the times I would forget about the " just put it on the ice cubes in the freezer" trick....

I'll never learn.. That's why I buy the 100 sodas in a case at Costco. Simply for that reason!!

Star.... That was great!!👍👍

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Yes, waking up at 3am to the sound of a mini nuclear explosion in your freezer is never good.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 07:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: eeyipes
Yes, waking up at 3am to the sound of a mini nuclear explosion in your freezer is never good.

Now that explains why I'm freaked out a 3am thinking there's a intruder. Well since I'm up.... Might as well get a soda? Right?!

Ahh they're all warm. I'll just put one i....... WTF!!!
edit on 7-1-2015 by AK907ICECOLD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Sorry dbl post

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 08:02 AM
link   
This has happened to me. I grabbed a cup towel and threw it over the exploding can. It still made a mess on the floor, but at least it didn't spray all over the walls, cabinets, appliances, etc., etc. It's a real bummer when it happens, no doubt.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Ah Kanga,

You have just been witness to a practical demonstration of the difference between liquid weight, and volume. The gas suspended in the fluid expanded rapidly, having been compressed in the can, and agitated by the impact with the floor, leading to the volume taken up by those twelve ounces, to increase very quickly indeed!

It is a pain in the bottom, but at least you got to see some physics and chemistry in action!

Unfortunately you will have to apply a little more chemistry, in the form of washing up liquid and a sponge, to get rid of the sticky remains!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join