It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hold Onto Your Towels Please. 2 Questions

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 10:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

Sand is created by erosion yes?

If so how would it form on an asteroid?

What you refer to as a sand is dust,
Space is full of clouds of gas an dust .
Stars explode an eject debris into space some of it huge some of it gas some of it particles of dust.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 11:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra
a reply to: TrueBrit

Sand is created by erosion yes?

If so how would it form on an asteroid?

sand in space is created two ways. colliding big rocks make lots of little rocks. and coalescing proto-planetary disk material held together initially by infinitesimal gravity then freezing together or concretization or being molten hot from collisions or being near the forming star at the center and then cooling into a solid.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 11:37 AM
link   
There is also electrostatic attraction, as on the surface of our moon, astronauts had a devil of a time with the damn stuff.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: pikestaff
There is also electrostatic attraction, as on the surface of our moon, astronauts had a devil of a time with the damn stuff.

Are you saying that it's electrostatic rather than gravity? Both?

Peace

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 05:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: jude11

originally posted by: pikestaff

Are you saying that it's electrostatic rather than gravity? Both?

Peace

both ...but just barely.

gravity is very weak compared to electrical force. it is the weakest of the four known forces. for small masses such as dust specs gravity is almost null while electrical force is very strong. Never the less; over time it is gravity that collapses nebular clouds into stars and planets. probably electrostatic forces creates seeds of mass and then gravity takes over.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Simply put, this object was not always just an irregular blob of rock, but part of something larger. It is probable then, that the sandy surface stuff was either formed during the breaking of the larger object through repeated heating and cooling effects, or carried with the asteroid from whatever object it used to be a part of.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 01:55 AM
link   
What is all this "towel" and "guide" nonsense ???

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 07:54 AM
link   

The sandy deposit on the surface of the asteroid could have been created before the asteroid became orbiting space junk, when it was part of a larger body, perhaps one with an atmosphere. It is also possible that the sand formed during a period of heating followed by rapid cooling (and breaking down) of the surface of the asteroid, just after its being broken off from whatever it was attached to before.

The heat of its separation from the larger body of which it was once part, would have been enormous, and the cooling it would have undergone right afterward would have been enough to crack and break any resultant surface rock down. If its trajectory took it past the star that it may once have orbited (as part of the larger body) it may have been heated yet again, and then cooled once more, as it passed close to, and then further from, that star. The sand may have formed as a result of the effect of that fluctuation.

Of the two, I would have thought that the first option makes just a little more sense.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 07:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zarniwoop

42!!

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 08:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ophiuchus 13
a reply to: jude11

To 1 subjectively its the EU theory association to this particular object in space along with gravity and icing components keeping the smaller objects and particle dust attached as the celestial object is moving through space at high speed...

1 could imagine the fast movement through deep space is generating a static field EM field.

This theory however hasn't been accepted or verified as of yet by some more influential scientific interest of EA*RTH so it remains just a theory. Sort of like a baseball or football with micro deposits of dirt on it. You wouldn't observe the more micro materials present on the football/baseball until you applied some kind of external FORCE to remove it like a rag etc. Otherwise that debris/dirt would remain on the sports ball... Again 1z subjective observation as to what is keeping the possible loose material attached to the fast moving celestial object...

NAMASTE*******
I like the static field explanation better than the gravitational field explanation. How would this mass generate gravity if we look at the explanation of how gravity is developed on an earth-like body?

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 08:20 AM
link   
If for instance this was possible…

Imagine emptying the entire Unvers of everything except for two atoms. Put these at opposite ends from each other, absolutely still relative to each other.

Eventually, slowly the influence of gravity would begin to pull them together until they eventually joined.

The sun? I guess I can go there. Just thought it was too far for that.

For light? Light from the farthest Galaxies reaches us. Light is everywhere. We see all the stars and galaxies because light has travelled from there to our eye.

There are beautiful images of star fields and my favorite, the Hubble Deep Field

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 08:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Zarniwoop

Even I can answer that and I haven't read the Hitchhiker's Guide...and just to puzzle you more my name is Frood...perhaps I should read it.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 08:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Bilk22

@How would this mass generate gravity if we look at the explanation of how gravity is developed on an earth-like body?

Indeed for to 1 the existing cosmic dust from charged past exploding STAR/PLANET/MOON material coming in contact with the celestial body (asteroid) would make or generate static energy as they come in contact with each other. This static energy then to 1 subjectively would begin to generate the EM field to further trap or attract sediment / debris found on asteroid surface like a balloon statically charged and placed over paper shavings that attracts the shavings and holds them longer based on the static energy present... More energy charge the more material sticks to it.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 10:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: NoRulesAllowed

originally posted by: Zarniwoop

42!!

Correct!

Now if we only didn't forget the question.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join