It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

$15 an hour isn't all it's cracked up to be.

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 10:59 PM
link   
a reply to: infinityorder

I hope they would change but a pig always wollows in the mud. Dam it porky, not again.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 11:00 PM
link   
a reply to: cloaked4u

The seven stages of Empire. I didn't doomsday prep for nothing.

1. The age of outburst (or pioneers).

2. The age of conquests.

3. The age of commerce.

4. The age of affluence.

5. The age of intellect.

6. The age of decadence.

7. The age of decline and collapse.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 11:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: LOSTinAMERICA

It was relevant to the topic. People were belittling others for their lifestyle. If you are paying your way, who am I to say you're wrong. I want most people to be happy. I get no joy from misery. Yes, the timing was a little off by a page but at you know why I quoted it now. You have to love heated debates.

Im irish and an aries... I live for heated debates.

Yes I thought it quite relevant. Just a post or 2 sooner for maximum effect...reguardless it was well intentioned and much needed for context, specifically for the fact it is historically relevant no matter the timing.

We are in fact living history all over again......it is sad really.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 11:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: LOSTinAMERICA

The seven stages of Empire. I didn't doomsday prep for nothing.

1. The age of outburst (or pioneers).

2. The age of conquests.

3. The age of commerce.

4. The age of affluence.

5. The age of intellect.

6. The age of decadence.

7. The age of decline and collapse.

We are full fledged 7 on this scale.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 11:18 PM
link   
I feel i have been on both sides of the fence. I have been workin ever since i was 15. My 1st job was workin at a strawberry farm. Then a janitor at school while i went to school. Then to the military, then to cargil then a few odd jobs then i worked at a company that made parts for Microsoft. I went up in the company for 10 years. last pay was about 27 hr. Ups and downs. I seen the world litterally. My last job they went overseas, i coulden't find a job to cover bills, lost the house, next year lost my father, next lost my mother, next lost my sister. I then was havin heart problems found out i had cardiomyapathy. They gave me pills until i was bedridden and could do no more. I got the operation and they took out a round muscle mass blocking my valve. I have a new lease on life. With a new frame of Mind. I know exactly what alot of people are talkin about because i have been livin it for real. Still waitin to heal up, ALL i have i time. I remember when the manufacturing jobs all took a hit and went overseas. That was a blow hopefully we can recover from.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 11:21 PM
link   

I'm Irish and Indian. I feel you brother. We are all in this together. I try to make the best of it and that seems to be working. I am not blinded by the evils in the world but I feel I am to the good at times. I try not to dwell on things I cannot change. I still catch myself doing it from time to time. If everything miraculously works out for the best, I would be surprised. Life has it's ups and downs. The roller-coaster ride has been a blast so far.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 11:26 PM
link   

An irishman aye. I think i am mostly norweigen mutt.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 11:26 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 11:32 PM
link   
a reply to: LOSTinAMERICA

My favorite singer. I use to sing some of his songs when i was young. When the front yard was dusty and the road was dirt.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 11:36 PM
link   

I feal you, I started working at 15 as well.

I also served, 6 years for my part, also worked building comps for foxcon.

Then worked alot of # jobs...even had to borrow off mom a few times, daddy has never and will never give me anything.

I dont deserve anything, though his dad gave him everything.

It is not " profitable" to him, sorry assed I know.

He just knows I will give it away.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 11:56 PM
link   

These days, not like back when i was young. You have to have 3 people working and supporting the same household in order to put money away for a good use. I think i was lucky to get that job. It was only a couple miles down the road from where i use to live. I lived with my girlfriend at the time. who also helped household out. She had rich parents, nice people tho, cain't say that about her sister tho. We both worked. she worked as a casheer for rainbow and i was a set up. Had our bills payed and we went out allot. No help from her parents. We were not rich , but i did not worry back then about money the way i do now. I cain't work as of yet.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 05:51 AM
link   
I do not know where you work as a carpenter, making $15.00 a hour. But it seems to me it is a lot of money. When I retired 4 years ago I was making $10.75 a hour doing apartment maintenance. I always had money left over at the end of the week. Now granted I do not have a family to support. I am single. I have all the same bills as everyone else. I just do not have children, however, I do have alimony and support payment going to my EX. She gets $658.00 a month forever. At $15.00 a hour I would have had money in the bank for sure.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 06:34 AM
link   
OQ, we left FL because the job prospects sucked that bad.

You gotta get out of there, buddy, it's not viable right now & hasn't been for some time for a liveable state. And if you're still living in the PB area, that's another blow to you being in a very high CoL area. $15 is a decent wage there, but FL undoubtedly will eat it.
At the very least, scope out the west coast between Hillsborough/Pinellas & Charlotte counties, there is some building & growth slowly going on. Granted, it's still slanted towards those who already have the money to blow, but the difference in the CoL might be enough to ease the pressure on you (I don't recommend the FL east coast to anyone wanting to make ends meet)

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 08:51 AM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Seemingly absent from these discussions is the economic question - "What's the value of your labor?"

If you're getting paid $15 an hour, you're costing your employer more, in overhead, taxes, regulatory requirements, benefits, etc - you may be costing your employer $20 or more an hour to keep on - perhaps much more.

On top of the $20 an hour, your employer is entitled to make a profit - after all, if he doesn't, why employ you at all?

If he's charging $25-30 an hour for your labor, that's probably pretty fair. If he's getting $100/hour, each and every hour you work, the answer is obvious - find an employer who'll pay you more of that $100/hour, or start your own business, and keep all of it for yourself.

OTOH, if the value of your labor is $15 an hour, consider yourself lucky - but better be looking for another job, because eventually he's going to realize he's losing money on you, and will lay you off.

It's an economic transaction - you're exchanging your labor for money - if the money you're getting is inadequate, best look to improve your skills, and thus the value of your labor, and/or move to an employer who'll pay you more fairly, or start your own business, and keep all those obscene profits for yourself.

Bear in mind, if your skills are easily replaced by someone with little or no training, who'll do the same job for less money, then you have a problem. I'm pretty sure that, when you rent your apartment, you aren't going to pay $1200 a month when the precise same apartment is available for $1000/month because you think the landlord needs the extra money to live a better lifestyle. And you're probably not going to shop at Whole Foods when the same products you bu are available at Wal Mart for half the price.

Consumers are cost-sensitive, and will pay the least they can for a given product or service. So, employers are the same. If you want premium pay, best offer a premium skillset that your employer can re-sell at a profit.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 09:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: cloaked4u

originally posted by: onequestion
Every time i read a post where someone states that $15 an hour(2200 a month) is going to put everyone out of business i think to myself, "$15 an hour is practically nothing". I make $15 an hour right now learning a carpentry trade which really isnt bad for only having 2 years experience, most people wont pay more then 12 unless its a union job. Its really not a lot of money though after car, food, insurances, rent or mortgage, and all of the other added expenses of just trying to stay alive in America these days. If you want to do anything leisurely you probably cant afford it. Its hard to save for new furniture or to really do anything outside of the house because the cost of everything is through the roof these days. So how could paying someone this wage that barely allows them to live a life in the modern world be enough to put people out of business? Im having a hard time understanding the logic here. Is slave labor an absolute necessity to profit from running a business?? Is it because of taxes or insurance or what?

How does your math add up to 2,200 a month? How many hours a week is that ? 40 hours a week times 15 = 600 week times 4 weeks = 2400. a month. OK, with that in mind. MR. FEDS get 125. State gets 90. Medical gets 65.That leaves you with 320. a week. or 1280. a month.....1280 minus, Rent is 850. Electric is 85. Phone is 100. Gas to work is about 50. a week times 4= 200. This leaves you with 45.. left over at the end of month. You still have insurance for the car =50. OK, now we are at THE BIG ZERO and we still have to buy food for the month. NO T.V OR INTERNET, NO FOOD, NO MONEY TO PAY IF YOU GET SICK AND GO TO CLINIC, NO MONEY TO BUY SOAPS TO WASH YOUR ASS OR WIPE WITH, YOU CAIN'T BUY WORK BOOTS FOR WORK OR CLOTHS, NO OIL TO BUY TO PUT IN CAR, IF YOUR TABS RUN OUT YOU HAVE NO MONEY TO PAY FOR THEM, IF YOUR CAR BLOWS A TIRE YOU HAVE NO WAY TO WORK OR PAY FOR A TIRE, YOU CAIN'T PAY FOR THE DRUGS YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO GET AFTER THE CLINIC AND YOU GET SICK WORSE AND MISS MORE WORK DAYS, YOU HAVE APPOINTMENTS FOR CHECKUPS AND PEOPLE TO SEE, BUT CAIN'T BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO SAVE THE GAS MONEY TO GO TO WORK.

This is what the BELOW AVERAGE single people have to put up with on a daily basis. The economy the way it is, is setup so that YOU are forced to live with a couple of roomates to save money to pay for the stuff you need in daily activities. A FACT. This ACCURATE account does not include if a single parent has to pay for a child. This causes the parent to take the child or children to grandma's house to watch the children while they are at work, or be forced to pay a babysitter for children under the age of 12. Reason why most kids are who they are these days because of this lifestyle. AND THEN THEY SAY. "WELL, HE EARNS 2400. A MONTH, WHY DOES HE GO TO A FOOD SHELF AND BUM MONEY OFF THE STREETS". People can be so heartless IDEOTS.

This is my life, except add a child. Im a single full time dad. Its a tough juggle. I have had to at times rotate which bill doesnt get paid.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 10:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jamie1

originally posted by: TheArrow

originally posted by: Jamie1
I have a friend that started a blog three years ago from zero. First she got up to $30 a day. Now she's over $100,000 a MONTH.

Single mom makes $100,000 dollars a MONTH following these six simple steps! Click Here to find out how!

lol what are you rambling on about now? I don't even know you but I feel like you're my goofy uncle I see once a year at Thanksgiving.

Its a reference to "get rich quick" ads that always pop up. Seriously? you didnt get this?

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 10:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ceeker63
I do not know where you work as a carpenter, making $15.00 a hour. But it seems to me it is a lot of money. When I retired 4 years ago I was making $10.75 a hour doing apartment maintenance. I always had money left over at the end of the week. Now granted I do not have a family to support. I am single. I have all the same bills as everyone else. I just do not have children, however, I do have alimony and support payment going to my EX. She gets $658.00 a month forever. At $15.00 a hour I would have had money in the bank for sure.

How do you live on this???
After your spousal support you get about $1000 a month BEFORE taxes? How much is rent? Groceries? Other expenses? I just cant see living on this amount even if single with no kids. Did you job you retired from have a pension or something?

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 11:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: infinityorder

15 dollars an hour minimum wage would take a lot of burden off of the US taxpayer by forcing corporations to pay for their workers instead of the United States government having to pay for their workers in the form of SNAP benefits and TANF grants.

You should not be able to qualify for government assistance if you work a full time job.

Agreed...with reservations. If a small business owner barely makes a living, he cant just magic more money.

If you can't afford to pay an employee, you can't afford to have an employee.

I would say if you cant afford to pay your staff then you really dont have a business.
Its time to pack up shop when you cant pay staff what they deserve, which is simply a fair wage for a fair days work.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 11:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ceeker63

I dont understand. Why do you have to support an ex partner if you have no children?
That doesnt make any damn sense at all. What exactly needs "supporting"?

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: cloaked4u
a reply to: Asktheanimals

I think i need to go into the deep, deep, thousands of acres in dia. woods and find it's center of gov't land or preservation land and not a single soul will ever see me again except on holidays maybe. After my open heart sergury i have a new lease on life and i plan to live it how I WANT. SO, come and find me E.T. I'll be howlin at the moon under a campfire you cain't see.

I can't count the number of times I've had the same urge myself.
Go live "My Side of the Mountain" until I die living a sane and naturally sustainable life.
Sounds romantic but would be very uncomfortable and frankly in my condition I might last a week if I was lucky.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join