It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Net Neutrality Fear Mongering: "You'll Pay More Taxes" - Not Substantiated

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

I'm paying for 50mb download speeds why shouldn't I get 50mb download speeds?

Note: Comcast,Verizon,ATT aren't asking websites to pay extra to get on the fast lane they are extorting them to pay extra to not get purposely slowed down.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 05:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

Think that started with net neutrailty ?

Crony capitalism has been a mainstay in America since Franklin held a monopoly on printing.

A sweet no bid government contract if you will.

So our you for moving toward Free Market Capitalism where everyone is on their own, or for Crony Corrupt Capitalism where our government is for sale to the highest bidders is what it comes down to.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Terresterial television meduims have deep pockets and will fight tooth and nail from losing their grip. Down the road in a world with 56mb connections to every home the traditional companies do not exist in the same fashion. The real problem with the internet is the merging of tv and everything else.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 05:39 PM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

I'm paying for 50mb download speeds why shouldn't I get 50mb download speeds?

Yeah, and ?

Have you ever been throttled down?

I haven't.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 05:41 PM
link   

I have zero faith, and credit in them.

So then why do you want them to spend months/years collaborating with corporations to create the Hybrid Approach for broadband?

Isn't that how the ACA got so screwed up?

I can't comprehend your logic.

Common Carrier reclassification of broadband requires no new laws/regulations.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 05:48 PM
link   
a reply to: jacobe001

Yeah I am for free market capitalism. Where the market DICTATES pay,bandwidth speeds, and if people don't like the service they can go elsewhere.

Which is why I don't support these crony capitalist models:

Free birth control-crony capitalism.
Free education-crony capitalism.
Free homes-crony capitalism.
Free healthcare=crony capitalism.
Food stamps=crony capitalism.

I don't believe in paying people what they think they are worth. They get paid for the work they do.

Everyone is on their own.

The one model cookie cutter approach of making everyone alike as much as possible with government decree is a massive failure, and that is a BIG part of what creates 'crony capitalism'.

The only function of government is to get the hell out of the way.

What we have.

Where we end up.

Is on us.

Free market capitalism is the very definition of what the word LIBERAL means. From the word Liberty meaning FREEDOM.

Hell it is the classic example of what darwinism is all about. Adapting to the environment, and becoming the 'dominant' species.

Instead of propping up failures. Business, and the people themselves.

And the people ARE for sale. Most just sell themselves too GD cheap.

Anyhow.
edit on 6-1-2015 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 05:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Staroth
I get the feeling this will lead to customers paying per bandwidth, something we do NOT need as we pay enough for internet as it is! Also fair to note I haven't researched it entirely just read a little here and there coupled with a gut feeling.
If it ain't broke - don't fix it!

That already happens.

www.timewarnercable.com...

Everyday Low Price (2MB), Basic (6MB), Standard (15MB), Turbo (20MB), Extreme (30MB), Ultimate (50MB)

store.virginmedia.com...

50MB, 100MB, 152MB

You are paying for the potential peak capacity, not the actual download speed. That's limited by the capability of the individual servers. But be grateful you aren't in the days of 64 Kbit/second ISDN where you were charged by the kilobyte (alternatively £50/megabyte, or £50,000/gigabyte and £200K to download a linux DVD).

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 05:53 PM
link   

So what are you doing to get the Healthcare and Insurance Lobbyists out of our Government?
What are you doing to get the Fast Food Lobbyists out of our government that want a cut of the food stamps?
What are you doing to get the Banks out of our Government that want a cut of all this and more?

The Crony Capitalists want to buy government to serve them and want everyone else to pay for it.

The Biggest creator of Big Government is the Private Sector that want to privatize profits and socialize losses.

The Military Industrial Complex would not cost as much as it does if they did not have other peoples money to spend.
The Financial Industry would not cost as much as it does if they did not have other peoples money to spend.
The Healthcare and Insurance Industry would not cost as much as it does if they did not have other peoples money to spend.
The College Loan Industry would not cost as much as it does if they did not have other peoples money to spend.
The Housing Industry would not cost as much as it does if they did not have other peoples money to spend.
Big AG would not cost as much as it does if they did not have other peoples money to spend.
edit on 6-1-2015 by jacobe001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 05:54 PM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

So then why do you want them to spend months/years collaborating with corporations to create the Hybrid Approach for broadband?

Feel free to quote where I said that. Thanks for putting words in my mouth.

Common Carrier reclassification of broadband requires no new laws/regulations.

Government has never met a law, or regulation they didn't like.Especially when it comes to 'sticking' to them evil corporations.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 05:57 PM
link   

So what are you doing to get the Healthcare and Insurance Lobbyists out of our Government?

There is only one way to diminish lobbying.

Shrink the size, and power of government.

'Net neutrality' is a prime example of what creates it.

The bigger government gets.

The more power it takes.

INCREASES the money going to politicians.

Only way.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Yeah, and ?

Yeah that If I pay for a service I expect to get that service, Maybe you are ok with getting ripped off but I'm not.

Have you ever been throttled down? I haven't.

Yes and so did a lot of netflix and youtube users until the ISP successfully extorted money from netflix.

Net neutrality is much more than just about over charging , it also gives the Oligopoly controlled telecom industry the power to decide what you get to see ,read , and hear.

It also gives the Oligopoly controlled telecom industry the power to manipulate and control a global market place.

Why would you NOT want what made the internet so successful (net neutrality) to continue?

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 06:04 PM
link   

You show me what you would shrink and I will show you the toes of "Evil" corporations that you would be stepping on that would fight tooth and nail from you doing as much.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Netflix is like a fleet of 18 wheelers on the highway
Ats is like a mid sized sedan on the same highway

Do these companies pay the same rates to be on the web?
Cuz I have no clue.
If they do, should they be paying the same?

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 06:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: jacobe001

You show me what you would shrink and I will show you the toes of "Evil" corporations that you would be stepping on that would fight tooth and nail from you doing as much.

That's the funny part.

As much animosity there is towards lobbyists. There is no one that has the snips to do what should be done.

Me I would walk over to the tax,and law,regulation filing cabinets, and start shredding. Their multithousand page 'laws' they never read.

Funny how they think their only job is to create laws, and not get rid of any.

Even more so most of those regulations hurt small business owners in this country the most.

Who also happen to be the countries largest employers.
edit on 6-1-2015 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 06:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: SkepticOverlord

originally posted by: ketsuko
I don't know , but it seems to me that anytime you get the government more involved people wind up paying more.

That's the rub. The fear-mongerers have kept pumping the idea that Net Neutrality requires more government regulation and laws. It's an outright lie to fool you.

The Net Neutrality proposals involve classifying broadband as a common carrier under existing FCC/Federal laws. In fact, much of Verizon's FIOS fibre optic access is right now classified as a common carrier because they used the rights of way to install the lines. Verizon desperately wants to undo that.

It's the FCC's Hybrid Approach that would require a mountain of new laws and regulations.

Achieving Net Neutrality through common carrier classification requires no new laws or regulations.

It doesn't matter if the laws are already there. They currently don't apply to the Internet. So as far as the net is concerned, they would be NEW laws. And look at all the nifty little fees and add-ons we have in our utility bills thanks to those laws. You really think they won't start cropping up in our Internet bills too?

Government never misses a chance to add in fees. At the very least, it will require a while new bureaucracy whose officials and pencil pushers we will then be required to pay for.

But hey if you really think 1930s rules are all it will take to properly administer the net ... whatever.
edit on 6-1-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Feel free to quote where I said that. Thanks for putting words in my mouth.

Your support of alternatives to the relatively simple reclassification of broadband as a common carrier, is directly implicit.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 08:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Government never misses a chance to add in fees.

Those who are proponents of common carrier reclassification both in the government, and outside, have explicitly stated there will be no new taxes. This is a fallacy created by the opposition.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Funny how they think their only job is to create laws, and not get rid of any.

Not true they successfully got rid of net neutrality laws once they realised it was good for the consumer , good for small business , and created competition. All things the established Oligopolies don't like.

Net neutrality only got passed in the earlier days of the internet in the first place because the corporate board of directors of the Telecom Oligopoly and their scum-bag lobbyist didn't have the foresight or vision to see what the internet was capable of. Just recently as a year ago they finally caught on and saw the economic powerhouse the internet became and they want to control it. Hence they undid net neutrality.
edit on 45131America/ChicagoTue, 06 Jan 2015 20:45:54 -0600up3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 10:48 PM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

You honestly believe that this whole thing which will be enforced by the government, wont end up benefiting telecom lobbyists so long as they pay up?

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 10:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: IntroduceALittleIrony
You honestly believe that this whole thing which will be enforced by the government, wont end up benefiting telecom lobbyists so long as they pay up?

Yes. Because the lobbyists are working hard to thwart Net Neutrality via common carrier reclassification.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join