It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Rumbling Again...But THIS Time, I finally I Got an AMAZING Recording. I Need Your Help Deciphering!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 02:05 PM
So, not a train. This sound has none of the rhythmic qualities one comes to recognize after many years playing with them!

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 02:47 PM

originally posted by: Montana
So, not a train. This sound has none of the rhythmic qualities one comes to recognize after many years playing with them!

Thank you. I agree.

It's hard to explain to someone who hasn't experienced it, but I hope this recorded is close to that, so long as you have really good headphones!

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 07:17 PM
Great sound capture. I'm just upriver from you at Finney Creek on the other side. I have also heard this but never thought of trying to capture it. I have always thought it was from aircraft at the NAF on the island, but after listening to the recording, I'm not so sure anymore, it really does sound like earth moving.

There is some kind of manufacturing facility out on the Olympic Peninsula that also makes some low rumblings at 20Km away or so, in fact I've had people tell me they can feel the soundwaves on their pants hitting them (near forks).

Anyway, thanks for posting.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 07:25 PM
a reply to: Ne3rka

Hmmm...that's interesting. How close is the sound, and the intensity? Do you hear it often? I'll have to look up Finney Creek on the map to see where you are in relation to NAS. It would be interesting to keep track with people in our area for when we hear it. It would help nail down what it is, and if it's the NAS. Maybe I can eventually start a thread where us in the area can post to when we hear it?

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 09:50 PM
a reply to: westcoast

I'm basically at the confluence of finny Creek and the Skagit, only 75 feet higher. I notice it on my days off, and I would say I can hear it every month at least 1X, maybe 2X, but always on Frida-Monday morning when I'm hanging out away from the river, the river actually makes some incredible low freq noise near flood stage (not this noise) and it's very cool, giant boulders rolling along the bottom, it's an awesome force to listen to.

Finney Creek and Finney Peak are backed up against the foothills, and the topography tends to amplify the noise IMO, I can hear the sport bikes near Sedro Woolley pretty well in the summer.

I'm a musician so I have some gear I'll set up next time to capture low frequencies, maybe I'll come up with something, but I think that's a great idea to map how far and where it's being heard in the Valley.

I've never heard it up on the pass in the summer on HWY 20, or in the Pasayten Wilderness, and I only noticed it in the last 2-3 years. Air traffic has really changed in the last 15 years or so, but I don't think that is the source (unless it's something we don't know about). I wonder what they are doing at the old bendix plant these days? It's not air traffic, but it is a distinct low frequency noise that's apparent to me. Thanks again for posting.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 12:34 AM
a reply to: Ne3rka

Great info. I agree that it's not a plane in the air. I think it plausible that it's a jet engine on the ground, but with some unique acoustic stuff going on. I would like to nail it down though...been bugging me for years now! I hear it probably once to twice a week...sometimes less. I have heard it morning, day and night....even as late as 11:00, and on weekends. That's another thing that bugs me. I would think that the Navy would have a set schedule for testing? I dunno.

I think I'll start that other thread after this ones dies down. Maybe some other locals will post on here.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 12:05 AM
I think i have an explanation for some of these rumbling sounds.

I to experienced this sound here in Florida, it was late at night and i was on my back porch smoking a cigarette when i heard it. Sounded like a ship taking off into space. I live by Air Force/Navy bases so my imagination went crazy with what this sound could be. The sky was foggy so visibility was low.. could it be a cover for the ships taking off?

The next morning i did some research and found an article in the local news website that it was an emergency steam release from our coal plant a few miles away.

here are a few examples of the sound

edit on 9-1-2015 by PandaLord because: youtube links noob

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 12:36 AM

I think I FINALLY have confirmation on what this is. It would appear that it IS the base. Growlers, to be exact. I guess that I am not the only one to be bothered by it on a regular basis. So much so, that are several groups organizing to stop the program from growing. I guess it's scared a lot of people, and is even described as sounding like an earthquake.

HERE is the LINK

Although I am a conspiracy lover at heart and it would be cool if there were some awesome, unbelievable phenomenon...I am greatly believed to finally have this confirmed by another, credible source!!!

I have sent a link of my recording to the journalist, and I hope it might help prove how far the noise pollution is spreading.
edit on 9-1-2015 by westcoast because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 02:24 AM

Well, so then this is for sure exactly what my spectrum analysis indicates. A jet engine, or rocket engine, as measured from a distance with the high end attenuated because of distance to the source, as I indicated.

I was able to see pretty quick it wasn't seismic, once I got into the spectrographs. Cause Lord knows I have spent the last 10 years looking at spectrographs of all kinds of seismicity from volcanoes to the biggest Japan quake.

That was a good exercise for me. Next.

edit on Fri Jan 9th 2015 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 10:31 AM
I won't pretend I know for sure what the sound that you recorded is. However, it sounds precisely like a train far out in the distance.

It's happened to me many times. I hear a really low rumbling that seems far away, but yet close at the same time (like it is resonating through the ground). It goes on for a while, and all I can think of is Linda Moulton Howe talking about sky quakes on coast to coast. After a while of the rumbling, I hear a train horn way out in the distance.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 12:52 PM
Never mind I missed the ah ha post...growlers eh...aptly named I guess.
edit on 9-1-2015 by RickyD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 03:38 PM
Hello fellow Skagit County resident - (and ATS)!!

I have been snooping around this site for quite a while, but never joined up until I saw the words "Skagit County" in your post title!
Great post, and sound recording - and more importantly your great attitude about trying to figure out what is causing it.

I will give you my first star and flag!

I was born and raised here ( Burlington / Sedro Woolley - Skagit County ) - and have heard this very familiar sound since childhood (1970's). In fact this sound was very comforting for me as a child (after my dad explained what it was), and even now as an adult it reminds me of great memories...snuggling up in my warm bed imagining I was sitting in the pilot seat pushing the thrust levers to "full military"!!

Your conclusion about jet engine "testing" at NAS Whidbey causing this sound "anomaly" are correct in my opinion and experiences.

Next time you hear the noise - quickly call NAS Whidbey (360) 257-3331 and just ask them if they are doing any engine testing. I have done this a few times out of pure curiosity (even though I had been told for years it was testing /maintenance). Each time I have done it...they were testing.

If you take a close look at a topographical map of the area between NAS Whidbey and the Burlington /Sedro Woolley area, you will notice a nearly "straight line" of "flat" geograpy between the two points. I believe this creates a "valley" that channels sound from Whidbey to Skagit County. As previously noted low frequency sounds easily travel long distances - and the older EA6 "Prowlers" were quite loud and low, and now the EA-18 "Growlers" have an even louder, lower frequency engine sound.

More 'Growlers', more noise; Whidbey NAS subject to full-blown environmental review

NAS Whidbey spokesman Mike Welding acknowledges that the EA-18s have a different sound than the EA-6 Predators. He doesn’t think the decibel level is higher, but admits the more powerful EA-18 engines have a “lower frequency” that may be more noticeable and that the more powerful engines and the shock wave from the planes may rattle windows more than previously. People on Whidbey Island have complained of broken glass after EA-18s have roared over their homes.

Back to my childhood for a moment: when I first heard these noises at night, they frightened me. My dad told me it was the Navy testing their jet engines. The sound still scared me, so he took me to a NAS Whidbey air show so I could see the "scary noise makers" close and personal. I even got to sit in one!
Needless to say I have been a big fan of Naval Aviation ever since!

I have not been to NAS Whidbey in a long time, but the used to have a large sign at the base entrance that said "Pardon our noise, it is the sound of freedom"...

Well enough of my reminiscing, here is my summary:

1. A geographical "valley" exists between NAS Whidbey and most of Skagit County. I believe this channels and possibly amplifies the jet engine static testing, and "run ups" that take place at the naval air station.

2. Common weather conditions between the navy base and Skagit County (dense over cast clouds) can also help confine, channel and amplify the sound through the "valley" between the two locations.

3. The older "Prowlers" were damned loud aircraft, and believe me, the newer "Growlers" replacing them are indeed louder, and also "lower" in frequency.

I could be wrong though...there are many reports of mystery sounds, and they can't all be jet engine testing /maintenance. Please call the base next time you hear the noise to see if you can confirm my theory!

NAS Whidbey Island (360) 257-3331

Thanks again for the great post - and I will be waiting for another recording!

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 09:34 PM
a reply to: shoegoo

Welcome, ShoeGoo!

Based on your first post here on ATS, I would say you are going to be an excellent contributor! Thank you for your sharing your info and experiences. AND..a big thank you for that phone number. I have tried searching on-line and sent a a couple of emails in the past, but never got anywhere. I will definitely call.

Again, welcome and it's always nice to 'meet' another Skagitonian here! I have made several friends through ATS and even know one in-person (by accident) now. If you ever go to the 'Blast From the Past' in Woolley, I'll be there again this year selling my photographs and books!

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 01:55 PM

Thanks westcoast !

I will be downloading one of your eBooks as soon as I figure out a good "reader" program for my laptop. I LOVE your photography work! You are a very talented person! Maybe I will see if I can find your booth at the "hot rod" show and say hi!

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 02:41 PM
a reply to: shoegoo

Try this Free ereader from Amazon

I'm already registered for the craft fair. I should have a corner booth on the art 'block'.

I you are ever in United General, my photography has been on display in the main hall there for a few months now!

Did you see that there were a couple of 3 mag quakes right in the locked zone this morning? In the general location/depth of the last 'big' quake in the 1700s. Nothing to worry about yet...but something to keep an eye on!

Back on topic: I have emailed the journalist of the article I linked, but haven't heard back yet. If I don't, I'll try to find a contact for one the groups trying to share how far reaching the sound is.
edit on 10-1-2015 by westcoast because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 11:58 PM
Have you watched the sky? A couple years ago I frequently heard a low humming, similar to this sound. I live in Tacoma and thought it was something like the Taos Hum. Then one night I saw a UFO that apparently was causing the sound. Most people don't/can't hear it, but I think it could be coming from the sky, not the earth.

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 12:01 AM
I think the train whistle that is clearly audible should give some hint as to the cause.

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 12:20 AM
a reply to: TrueAmerican

Well, he never sent me the wave file, but based on what he had presented early on , I had called out jet engine tests and Military also. I would suspect that many of these incidents around the country have this as a basis as well and those that hear these sounds should consult this thread, as it pretty much pins it down.

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 01:11 AM

originally posted by: KnightLight

I thought all the recorded youtube videos of "sky sounds" were faked..
And then it happened to me.. I had to go back on my posts here on ATS. I knew it was fake.. I KNEW it.. And then it wasn't, cause there it was..

Regarding those "sky sounds" on YouTube that peaked around two years ago. My wife and I both heard them here in Maryland just outside Washington D.C.. These sounds are very much real and every bit as creepy as the videos you saw. As you described with your sounds we both became very uneasy. The sky sounds, which sounded like what you might expect if God's Archangels sounded trumpets in the heavens seem to come from everywhere at once. They were immensely powerful and seemed very much not of this Earth. We heard them on two separate occasions a few day apart in about the third week of January 2012. As you describe with this sound, the real thing had much more impact than any YouTube video could convey. To any doubters, the trumpet sounds in the sky did happen. My wife and I both describe them to be the freakiest sounds we have ever heard in our lives.

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 02:04 AM

originally posted by: defcon5
I think the train whistle that is clearly audible should give some hint as to the cause.

Actually, the fact that the train can be heard very faintly in the background proves that it is NOT a train. (as the rumble in question is MUCH louder and of a different freq)

I provided a link a little bit back, linking to an article about the growlers being tested at NAS, pretty much confirming that the only thing I suspected is what I AM, in fact hearing. It's a combination of a very low frequency being carried over a long distance due to topography and likely some atmospheric conditions.

<< 2  3  4    6 >>