It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who would you be now if you were raised in a different enviornment?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 04:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
a reply to: karmicecstasy

Funny little quips definitely more important then an engaging discussion i know.

Try not to think.

Get over yourself lol

If I was raised in a different environment I would probably be the same person I am today. I would of just had an easier time if I was born into a richer environment. I was born into a low economic area. I had to fight and struggle to get were I am. Now I live in a higher economic area. Where I can be a non thinking joke maker from the comfort of a nice cushy home. I worked my way out of a high crime area for this privilege. Please respect my hard work by not trampling over my civil forum rights.

edit on 6-1-2015 by karmicecstasy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

- I wouldn't attracted to older men
- I'd have extremely high confidence
- I would have more drive / ambition
- And I wouldn't be wasting my life

My town was tough, my Dad was tougher.

Good thread 👍

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Who would you be now if you were raised in a different enviornment?

Who would I be? I AM everyone. There is a singular consciousness that we all share. I was raised in every environment, wore every hat, and walked in all shoes. Environment, experiences, relationships, and biology changed who I think, perceive, and believe myself to be, but beyond the illusions and games; I AM.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I've had the joy of meeting my "birth" family. The man that my bio Mom married was a mean drunk who was not very good to my brother. I suppose one could say that I was lucky to have gotten out in time. I don't think I would have had the privelege of caring for my elderly Mother. He (my brother) cared for our bio Mom. I cared for my adopted Mom. Both within the past 4 months. We started out in Pa. but, he lives in Seattle and my sister lives in CT. so... who knows? I believe the person I am is the person I always was. I'm not sure that the ME would have been different just the circumstances/experiences getting to now....If THAT makes any sense LOL

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 10:59 PM
link   

I feel like my true potential has been severely limited, as if I have been cursed to make all the wrong decisions, often foolishly. However, where I have travelled to is a point where I feel comfortable and secure, however, I am always reminded of things that I cannot/did not have due to my unfortunate circumstances. Perhaps if I was raised in a different culture I would have attained those things.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 10:59 PM
link   

I feel like my true potential has been severely limited, as if I have been cursed to make all the wrong decisions, often foolishly. However, where I have travelled to is a point where I feel comfortable and secure, however, I am always reminded of things that I cannot/did not have due to my unfortunate circumstances. Perhaps if I was raised in a different culture I would have attained those things. The people that I have interacted with in this life have had a substantial influence on me, and of course, different people, and a different locale could have resulted in better selection of choices and greater opportunities.

Anyways, we all have our regrets, but no matter whom you are or where you come from, you can still be rewarded for hard work and perseverance, although, these are personal goals, and they cannot be substituted for positive life experiences relative to ones environment and social circle.
edit on 6-1-2015 by SystemResistor because: uni

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Revisiting the old "Nature vs. Nurture" debate in a sense.

Personally I believe it is a combination of the two that makes you whom you are, with environment probably playing the bigger role. But it is impossible to say and all we can do is speculate. We are beings with complex characteristics and no two people are the same.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Well it all depends, a better environment doesnt always make for a better individual.

Some things must be experienced which aid in the forming/seeding of new ideas like through the experience of great suffering we know its not what we want and then the thought of a better world comes into mind.

I dont think the evils we experience are necessary to develop the desire for good.

I imagine heaven to be a place without evil and the suffering that goes along with it, and I think being in such an environment would be inspirational.

Our environments often limit our experiences in life, for example if you were raised in prison like atmosphere I doubt you would ever win the nobel peace prize for a great scientific invention, most likely wouldnt get a PHD, become a pilot, nor would you be a musical rock star.

If your raised in a criminal environment you will most likely become criminal minded at the very least.

Jus because someone grew around villians and criminals that doesnt mean they cannot be like a beautiful lotus which grows out of mud and dung, however something has to lead the way in the form of desire to be and do something more than the status quo. Every journey begins with a single step.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 04:07 AM
link   
To be honest though I wouldn't have wanted to be born anywhere but the UK.

I love being British....but anywhere in the UK except down south, I like me northern accent.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 06:00 AM
link   
I was raised a Jehovahs Witness. It was hammered in my head that Armageddon starts tomorrow, education was evil, and everyone who wasnt a JW was evil. I didnt trust the "world", and lived in constant fear of Doomsday, I was not allowed education and quit school at 16 to go door to door to "save the world". JW teens "in those days" were encouraged to marry very young, so I married at 16 and had 3 kids by the time I was 22. (I left the JWs when I was about 23ish.)

Getting past the brain washing took some time. So, I think my life would have been much different if I was not raised in a Cult Religion. denied Education, married at 16, and lived in fear. I didnt go back to school until my mid-20s and I think I would have made a lot of different choices.

Oh, and I have 8 siblings, and my dad went to prison when I was 4. My mom was a single mom, her "addiction" and method for absolution for her failures was to become a radical JW. Yeah!!!!

But, you know what, Ive had a great life. I have a beautiful family who were spared the religious BS and they are all soooooo amazing!! My oldest daughter is an Oakland Housing Commissioner and an amazing electrician. She travels all over the world. Is happily married and has a baby on the way. So, I kinda think my choices would have been a lot like hers.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Nature and Nurture go hand in hand. Though i believe Nurturing has a slight advantage due to ones interpretation of its surroundings.

Hypothetically If i were born in families alongside the Rothchilds, Bushes ect...would i consort and abuse the wealth and power naively? Would i be able to have an unbiased introspective approach towards mine and likes harmful impact on others? what if in some cases i was a test=tube baby, where my dna has been engineered with empathy and or sympathy removed.

or born in place thats void of food water shelter information ect..
or born on a different planet that vibrated on a higher or lower frequency.

or if a society is evolved spiritually or rooted in corruption.

Knowledge Wisdom understanding and experience is what separates and entangles the development of both environment and conditioning. Consciousness dictates reality

Each persons is a unique trait of the whole. Their will never be another you. the question though intriguing is inherently flawed due too infinite factors and possibilities.

So in answer, yea id be me _javascript:icon('
')

edit on America/Chicago25201531Thu, 08 Jan 2015 13:17:25 -0600uAmerica/Chicago by esotrue because: additions

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I've thought so much about this in the past and I've finally concluded
that I am a two-part entity. One part spiritual consciouness, one
part animal instinct.

The animal instinct is of course tied to the animal I am wearing.
This animal comes pre-programmed with instinct. The wants, needs,
and desires of this animal are in a constant state of "give and take"
with my spiritual entity.

The spiritual entity I am talking about is an evolving
energy that includes all living things. Yes, that's right,
I believe all livings things are evolving somehow--be it
a continuation from a different existence in this reality
from this universe of galaxies and stars, or from some
completely unknown reality of existence. To put it
bluntly (if there is a heaven, which I doubt) all dogs
DO go to heaven, along with all amoebas as well...

So, would I be different if I were raised in a different
environment? Of course. If I were raised in a Buddhist
community I would have likely held those beliefs deeply
until I reached the age of reason, and then would have
shirked them as I did my self-aquired Christian beliefs.

I think my deepest core values would have been nearly
the same regardless of skin color or social environment.

I think we are who we are at a very dep level of consciousness
and that we each struggle with our instinctual animal to
reach a workable consensual version of oursleves.

I've raised several children and watched them evolve
and grow. And what I realize is that as their envirnment
changed, they, for the most part, kept their true personalities--
the ones they had when they were babies...the ones they
entered into this life with...from wherever they came...

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Who would I be if I wuz raised in a different environment? Essentially I would still be the ALL, the ONE and yet a single point of immersed perspective. This is all a game, a simulation, an experiment.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Now who can answer a question like that, honestly, and intelligently? LOL LOL LOL

I would be a NSA representative to the, umm, Ancient ones.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Ugh.

1. I had to login to reply. A member since 2011, this doesn't happen too often.

2. This exact question has weighed upon my mind, soul, intent, and how I've tempered myself through time.

Environment has a very huge part in how any individual (not just human) develops. Without proper nurturing, relationships, stability or ability to develop anything beyond defensive measures isn't conducive to growth (creative or otherwise).

I have written quite a lot (dispersed through all sorts of media (personal/internet, nothing published)), and all *I* want from life is stability so I can be the person I want to be instead of the person I have to be. I know that doesn't make a lot of sense overtly, but life keeps kicking me in the teeth and I'm a mere 48 hours from going BACK to living in my 1991 Acura Integra (I'm 6'1, and it's not a very big car).

Even with a "gifted" mind, one is unable to overcome much alone in the world or without resources that would otherwise be available in a society based almost entirely around the nuclear family cluster. >

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 09:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Hollowguardian

I hear you man I have all the ideas in the world but very little resources to excessive them with. Thanks for the reply.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 09:51 PM
link   

This is something I wrote approximately December 2013:

"f I didn't have the precise mixture of people that I did before I went into foster care, I may have believed the whole world was filled with monsters wearing human masks. Good and evil; altruism and stoicism; right and left; nature vs nurture... How do we define these qualities but with a bunch of other subjective and wishy-washy useless conjecture. We strive to be different, unique... We strive to fit in, be popular. Yet we shun what is different. We praise and extol the virtues of freedom, liberty, justice for all.... but we let our officials lie/cheat/steal/sell us. We are scared of a proverbial boogeyman when we are a race of boogeymen. Individuals, hardly aware of the far-reaching implications of our actions and inactions. We would "Never Forget" those people in the towers, but we *will* forget the people we send in to other countries to "bring them democracy". How many lives have been changed by war? Poverty? Inability to allow people to be equal, though different. I find it humorous that we have weapons capable of destroying entire cities, but in those same cities... people aren't allowed to feed the homeless. People are allowed to drink and smoke, but only what the government says is okay. We live in an age where technology is far outpacing morality. Two hundred years ago (that's ~4 human lives) we had people in bondage, doing our work. We still do. The chains are intangible now, but they exist. We let the fear of the unknown guide our actions and thoughts. We wage war to defend our freedoms and way of life.
People seem to think the world should view the way things they do and only that way. We are a planet full of "this is convenient, # the consequences" types. If we weren't , we wouldn't drive cars that destroy the environment, or buy a new phone every year. We might actually begin to think about what we could do for each other instead of ourselves. A fool's dream, but so is hoping that things fix themselves after we've come and shat on the dinner table. Ignoring the elephant in the room can occasionally cause the elephant to have a tantrum.
We don't see the power we have, just the power that we perceive that we cannot work against. "It's too late" "We can't possibly hope to do anything about it". You cannot save the world as an individual, but you can save the world of many individuals."

I hope you can see how it's related. I have a lot of writing (a metric frackton), and I want to write about my life. Writing seems to be the last thing I have, and if I could just get a YEAR of stability... a bed to sleep in... I believe I could accomplish it. I have a lot to say about a lot of things, I guess.
edit on 1/9/2015 by Hollowguardian because: added paragraph past quotation marks

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 09:55 PM
link   

I had a hard upbringing to man. My cousins are I credibly wealthy individuals with great educations and great families. Raised in stable loving environments. I barely survived childhood and moved out as soon as possible. Luckily I woke up a few years ago and have been doing a lot of personal work.

It's a tough world my man.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Yeh. I uh... didn't get the luxury of family for very long, and they all were alive one sec and dead the next.

It's a repeated trend in my life. I'm 34, and I have had 2 people in my life last more than a decade (and most of that time was spent with them in different states than I was in).

Of course; if my life weren't totally insane, I wouldn't have stories to tell. Unfortunately, I don't even get most of the base human comforts, and I have worked my ass off repeatedly to be jinxed. People like me are the reason statistical-anomalies exist.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 10:03 PM
link   

You have to live a story in order to have one!

It's crazy how some people are just totally blessed with everything and others get nothing.

How do we explain that?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join