It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who would you be now if you were raised in a different enviornment?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Well, do you think that if you were raised different youd be the same person you are today?

I here people say all the time that someones environment has nothing to do with who they are. My opinion is that obviously your environment not only has to do with who you are but WHAT you are as well.

Lets say for example that instead of being raised however and wherever you were that you instead were raised in Watts in California, or if you were raised in Calabasas youd still be close to the same person?

If you were raised in an incredibly violent and viscous household growing up or if you were raised in a very loving and supportive household?

What do you think?

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Probably successful. I would probably be successful, likely a cold-hearted cut-throat with no empathy, compassion or sympathy for anyone, but successful nonetheless.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Can people change?

yes they can.

environment is quite powerful, and obviously you start off a certain way. I am different from all my brothers. But then when we went to different environments (colleges, peace corps, Army) we all grew into even more different people..

You are what you see, and do, and eat, and think about.

The fact that we Learn is proof that environment is what changes you the most.

I was not in a stable environment growing up, but now I am, and I'm changing pretty quickly.
edit on 6-1-2015 by KnightLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I've reflected on this from time to time. To say I was raised with a disregard is pretty accurate and so I can be a ghost if the situation turns. It makes me wonder about my potential if I had been cherished or nurtured.

BUT...a wise person once impressed upon me that although you can't pick your parents or the circumstances in which you were born and raised - *you* determine your course once you come of age.

And....if you drive through life always looking in the rearview mirror at what was or might have been, you'll either drive right past what might be or maybe even run off the road altogether.

Just go forward.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

I agree.

At what point is a person totally conscious though?

I was stuck in a perpetual cycle of hate and violence until my early twenties from the area i grew up in and the house i grew up in.

I consider myself lucky because that is a factor in who i am today and because i am awake and intelligent and a critical thinker. I wonder if i would have those qualities otherwise and i doubt it. My cousins were nurtured and have never lived a hard day in their lives and i cant even relate to them on any level.

link   

originally posted by: CagliostroTheGreat

Probably successful. I would probably be successful, likely a cold-hearted cut-throat with no empathy, compassion or sympathy for anyone, but successful nonetheless.

Well good, thats the only thing that matters.

link   
I have been saying since the age of 19/20 that if I had been raised by anyone else, I would have joined the military or killed myself a long time ago.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 03:40 PM
link   

If I was raised in india I would now be the great sage, the true monkey king.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 03:42 PM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

I like monkeys more then(an) humans so maybe thats a good thing?

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 03:48 PM
link   

I think you are on the right track..everything that happened made you who you are now. To be at peace with yourself now, you kind of have to accept what happened then. That's not to say one has to approve of it, just call it what it is, not look to cast blame and just go forward knowing you are more beautiful and unique for the expetience.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Hey onequestion!!
Awesome thread! S&F

Will come back to comment when migraine is completely gone.
jacygirl

edit on 6-1-2015 by jacygirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I was raised in a Watts household in California, not the city but the surname ;p lol

Anyway, good question. I would say our environment forces us in a certain direction but ultimately we are faced with a choice when we evaluate ourselves and I'd like to think that no matter my environment I would choose to rise above it. Genetics plays a major role as well, I have 3 brothers all raised in the same environment yet I am introverted, rather lazy and i can't stand working with others. Whereas my brothers are outgoing and are content being a drone in their jobs, I actually envy their complacency.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 03:52 PM
link   

I want one....more than children lol.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I would probably be a lot more in tune with my body. I would not have all of the negative toxins from the lack of fresh food that is not GMO altered here in the US. I would be more spiritually in tune with the universe if I didn't have flouride in every single water source I consumed.

I would be a lot better person to myself if I was not born in the US. Money, Big houses, thats all useless after my journey here is done. I will only be saddened that I was not able to achieve more with my body and mind, not that I could never afford things I did not need.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 03:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: intunewithmyself
I would probably be a lot more in tune with my body. I would not have all of the negative toxins from the lack of fresh food that is not GMO altered here in the US. I would be more spiritually in tune with the universe if I didn't have flouride in every single water source I consumed.

I would be a lot better person to myself if I was not born in the US. Money, Big houses, thats all useless after my journey here is done. I will only be saddened that I was not able to achieve more with my body and mind, not that I could never afford things I did not need.

Completely agree.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 04:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Dystopium

Yeah genetics must play some sort of roll.

I am a firm believer in the science of astrology. Not that its totally worked out but i am very sure that the universe is one big machine.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Well since Superman was born under a red sun and came to earth which has a yellow sun. A different environment caused him to have powers. So ipso facto, if I was raised in a different environment. I would be Superman.....

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 04:29 PM
link   

If we are in fact in a simulation then maybe our time of birth and place in the cosmos could possibly leave a predefined trait stamp as a sort of base.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: karmicecstasy

edit on 1/6/2015 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 04:35 PM
link   
a reply to: karmicecstasy

Funny little quips definitely more important then an engaging discussion i know.

Try not to think.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join