It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religion + Business = Death of cults.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 03:51 AM
link   
Religion, all religions are just a cult that went "mainstream", I mean, way back in the day Jesus had his own little cult, but since it was picked up by enough people, it became a new religion (not new new, first time was in Egypt by some pharroah).

The cults people are scared of are just new religions coming out with very few "backers", It's like the main religions have a monopoly in the business of religion.

To me it's no more then a business. The small cult takes your money (example) on a larger scale, the church doesn't take it out on a large scale because they have many many people giving little so it even surpasses the cult.

And cults...like to die off...the ones that start to get a little too big. Hostile takeover? Possibilty.

Makes sense to me.

I could be intoxicated.

[Edit:Just the title)

[edit on 14-12-2004 by _BLiND_]

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Interesting concept and one I would have to agree with.

If Jesus Christ was to be born again, have his second coming etc, he would be classed as a cult unlessed he preached as the church does today.

There is no way that the "orignal" teachings of christ, obvisouly dependin on who you speak to as to what they are, are the same now, the church would loose so much money if they were proved to be wrong he would be locked away. Why do you think the Gospel of St Thomas is classed Gnostic, it says you don't need to go to church. Imagine the loss of revenue if everyone stopped putting the coins in the collection plate

It is all business and control their is no one true religion, just an idea of a better life taken one step further and turned into control, then taken one step further and turned into a money maker.

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by _BLiND_
(not new new, first time was in Egypt by some pharroah).

Akhenaton's monotheistic sun god religion didn't have much to do with the jesus movement, and the jews of course had a monotheistic religion along with the zoroasterians

The cults people are scared of are just new religions coming out with very few "backers"

Indeed, groups like the mormons and the seventh day adventists got their start rather recently, with their religion 'revealed' to the founder and have all sorts of cult like status. Or look at the scientologists, they're a bona fid cult but are also moving torwards the mainstream.

new topics

join