It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush jr. for a 3rd term.....

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 02:51 AM
link   
you think its bullchit? well just hold on a second and think about this. i have heard from several friends of mine the bush is going to try and seek a third term on technical grounds. it seems that bush was appointed by the senate in his first term. he wasnt elected by the people. so therefore he really has only been elected to the presidency one time. what do you guys think about this? could it happen?

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 03:42 AM
link   
Such a technicality wouldn't get him in office for a third term. I believe The Constitution says "No more than 8 years (2 terms)" not "No more than 8 years under certain circumstances." Bush will have been the President for two terms and will no longer be able to run for office. If Bush tries I don't think he will have the popular vote as I think (hope) most people realise there is a reason no man (or woman) is allowed to be in office for too long.

The reason is he(she) will become power hungry, it won't be about the people anymore, if it ever was. Also, by keeping someone in office for an extended ammount of time means the people become accostomed to that leader and in effect, that leader could easily become a dictator. If the people have witnessed Bush in office for such a long period of time, say, 12 years..then they will want him back again, the leadership given will be the only leadership recalled by so many.

It just can't be done, if Bush gets a third term in office, America will be no more. Look at how close we came to a national emergency when Bush was elected a second time. Many citizens began to revolt but were snuffed out of the picture, hardly discussed by mainstream media.

There was yelling and screaming after the first election, rioting and revolt for the second, there very well could be a civil war if a third occurs. If Bush gets another term, it won't be through campaigning, it will be due to a national emergency, such as a terrorist attack on a massive scale, nuclear war, DogWood asteriod, etc.

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 03:56 AM
link   
I think a president can technically serve 10 years. Maybe I'm wrong I'm reading the limit to mean 2 full terms or no more than ten years. The 2 extra years are put in the amendment incase a president dies in office and the vice president becomes president for a short period of time (less than 2 years) - he can still run for 2 more full terms. But yeah, Bush cannot run again. He will have served 8 years as president. Your friends are just trying to come up with something scary.

U.S. Constitution - Amendment 22

Amendment 22 - Presidential term limits

1. No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice, and no person who has held the office of President, or acted as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person was elected President shall be elected to the office of the President more than once. But this Article shall not apply to any person holding the office of President, when this Article was proposed by the Congress, and shall not prevent any person who may be holding the office of President, or acting as President, during the term within which this Article becomes operative from holding the office of President or acting as President during the remainder of such term.

[edit on 14-12-2004 by zerotime]

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 06:15 AM
link   
honestly bush is already power lusting, and he is a very powerful man, already rewriting the constituion wiht the patriot act I, intelligence reform bill and soon to be patriot act II. so lets see what happens, if there is a way, he will find the will to do it.

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 06:39 AM
link   
It's not the prospect of longseating amercian presidents that worry me, it's more of the Rumsfelds and the Cheneys that have been in and out the oval office, selling weapons and fixing the worldmarkets since the late 80's and (while certainly they got "experience" going for them ) have gathered an old boys network where politics has become the vehicle for their bussiness/millitary associates. Actually reminds me of the days of Lyndon B. Johnson and Edgar Hoover....

[edit on 14-12-2004 by Countermeasures]

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 06:45 AM
link   
I beleive that you will find that Cheney and Rumsfeld were around when Tricky Dicky was President and that was 1969 to 1974.

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Franklin D. Roosevelt was elected for a third term. It's possible
that Bush could be too.

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by elaine
Franklin D. Roosevelt was elected for a third term. It's possible
that Bush could be too.

The 22nd amendment was passed after Roosevelt. So no it is not still possible

[edit on 14-12-2004 by Skibum]

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by joe751
. . . it seems that bush was appointed by the senate in his first term. he wasnt elected by the people. . . .

Uh, no, . . .

What revisionist version of history did you get that from? Holy crap, batman, it was only four years ago, don't tell me you can't even remeber what happend back then?

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 08:00 AM
link   

. . . it seems that bush was appointed by the senate in his first term. he wasnt elected by the people. . . .

Originally posted by HowardRoark
Uh, no, . . .

What revisionist version of history did you get that from? Holy crap, batman, it was only four years ago, don't tell me you can't even remeber what happend back then?

Senate, Supreme Court, Electoral College… What’s the difference? What America needs in 2008 is a viable candidate, a man with real military backbone, a man like General Dilemma…

This message was paid for by the General Dilemma fishing expedition.

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Here I go again.............GW is the last prez. No more elections. Terrorist nuke attack then GW for life.................

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 08:25 AM
link   

you think its bullchit? well just hold on a second and think about this. i have heard from several friends of mine the bush is going to try and seek a third term on technical grounds. it seems that bush was appointed by the senate in his first term.

Uhmm, no, he wasn't. He was elected. The only unsuual involvment was that the SCOTUS had to decide on a recount case.

what do you guys think about this? could it happen?

No. I think that if someone was, say, the VC and then promote to the presidency, then they can be voted into to the presidency after that twice.

skyfox2
The reason is he(she) will become power hungry, it won't be about the people anymore, if it ever was

Keep in mind that the term limits on the president were put in after Roosevelt durign WWII. Many woudl say it had to do more with politics surrounding FDR than anything else. Of course, I'm not sayign it was done to prevent him from running again, since he was dead.

joe751
already rewriting the constituion wiht the patriot act I

Uhm, the Patriot Act didn't re-write any part of the constituion. And patriot II has been dropped. It couldn't get enough support, thats why parts of it were moved into the intelligence reform act and various other bills.

so lets see what happens, if there is a way, he will find the will to do it.

It can only be done by ammending the constitution. The only other possibility is to, say, make a case for having, literally, dictatorial powers outside of the office of the president. He'd have to literally say that he is assuming the power of state as a dictator. IOW, it can only happen via an ammendment.

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 08:53 AM
link   

[edit on 14-12-2004 by Tesla]

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 09:03 AM
link   
What a stupid thread..... This isn't going to happen as bush has served two terms, the constitution says two terms period.

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Well, there is always Jeb Bush to continue the dynasty, actually he has a more sophisticated look and feel than GW.

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 03:42 PM
link   
That's assuming of course, that there IS a 2008 election... Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if we were knee deep in WWIII by then, and the elections were suspended for war-time, by a new measure drafted of the Republican-controlled congress...

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Wasn't there an election in the Civil War that Lincoln won?Could a War that you suggest stop the election process in the US?

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Considering that there has been an election during just about every war the United States has been in throughout its history, I would have to say that if there is a WWIII there will be an election as well. Since GWB has been elected twice, he would not be able to run.

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Bush for a third term? Quite possible. All it would take is a serious terrorist attack between now and the next election, Bush declares Martial Law and there we have it.

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Hmmm, if Bush gets a third term, then the NORTH will break away and make the United States of Canada while the south will make JesusLand. I can see it now, Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, so forth, will reinstate Jim Crow laws, segregation, take science out and replace it with "If you don't give me money, you go to hell!", while the United States of Canada, Now united with Canada and Northern States, will advance into thee super power, the largest country in the world, the greatest economy the world has ever had, the most advanced science labs, wiping out aids, cancer, Lou Gherigs Disease, every disease known, while the south has millions die to the flu cause Bush won't buy vaccines from USC, cause "terrorists" might contaminate them.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join