It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scotland's Lucky Escape

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 10:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
a reply to: ScepticScot

No I do Its just I am not quite sure you do.

Because it sounds like you are trying to argue that Scotland makes up 99% of the UK's GDP.

What he is saying is that Scotland's per-capita GDP is 99% of the UK per-capita AVERAGE. So if the UK as a whole were to average £100,000 GDP per-capita, then the Scots are at £99,000 BEFORE oil revenues are factored in.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 02:26 AM
link   
a reply to: babybunnies
You are correct on point one but then sadly lose your way.
While it is not a given that Scotland would be admired straight into the EU it would certainly be more than likely. Why would an expansionist organisation wish to throw out 5 million citizens whose laws and regulations are already all EU compliant. Even if full membership was not negotiated by independence day it would take years to unravel all the existing treaties so effective membership would continue anyway.
The problem is your are starting from the assumption that the Scottish economy would be in trouble and building your view point from there.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 02:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn
I don't see any real chance of getting a decent degree of devolution. To give Scotland major new powers they would quite rightly have to progress with some devolution in England as well. I doubt any party in power in Westminster is really going to vote away their own powers.
Would love to be wrong on this but I doubt it.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 04:55 AM
link   
a reply to: babybunnies

Have to say mass unemployment and/or poor standards of living regarding the majority of there population does not seem to have retarded Romania or Slovakia's entry in to our European Union. Scotland, unemployment aside, which also effects other significant proportions of the UK is in nowhere near the state those so-call nations are in today or when they became active members.

If this were not the case then why are there 1000s of Romania and Slovakian refugees on our doorstep?

The only contributing factor involved regarding Scotland becoming a member nation would have been the time period which i believe is around 6 years. There is also the fact that we did help create, protect and defend, never mind contribute to the European Union our membership should have been honorary(semi-joke, i realise things dont work that way, but they should). If indeed we even decided to enter said union considering its current state.

edit on 7-1-2015 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 05:27 AM
link   

They will all renege on just about everything discussed or suggested regarding more devolution of powers to our Scottish Parliament. Hopefully this will provoke another referendum, then again chance would be a fine thing indeed.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 05:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

How you going to survive.. By selling sheep.... Most of the 45% where going on how they could make the revenue for the country from oil...?

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 05:50 AM
link   

I was for a while tempted to vote yes. UNtil I realised that the yes voters where the same as the no voters. We need real change and the change that would have come is not good enough.
Yes voters put a lot of emphasis on oil revenue. We dont need oil revenue. We need to be thinking different to that and if thats the best peeps can come up with. Im out..

purp..

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 05:57 AM
link   
a reply to: purplemer

There are five other industry's that account for almost two-thirds of the total of Scotland’s exports. Food and beverages, chemicals, business services, electronics and instrument engineering and also mechanical engineering. We export textiles to nations such as the USA, Netherlands, France and Germany and have growing export markets include Australia, China, India, Japan, Russia and United Arab Emirates. Then there are our educational establishments and universities, people come from all around the world to receive an education in our nation. We have a lot more than just Sheep and Oil to offer the world. Truth be told we have a lot more than most other nations!

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Strangely another poster claiming to live in Scotland yet refers to Scotland in the second person.
Do you really think the entire economy is based on oil and agriculture? I certainly don't work in either of those industries.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 06:16 AM
link   

ture
Regardless of what you think. Scotland is my home and yes i am aware there is more to scotland than oil and agricuture. Just got a bit peed at the hyprocisy of the 45 first gping on about how westminster robs all the oil money. Then opposing fracking and thirdly when the oil crashes saying Scotland done need the oil to survice..

If thats the best peeps can come up with keep it. This policitcal thinking all falls in the same process. Scotalnd can do better and when it does she will have my vote..

purp..:-)

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 06:37 AM
link   
If your point is that the reform offered did not go far enough then can respect and agree with that.
However to vote against what may be the only realistic opportunity for real change because it wasn't the exact change you wanted seems a foolish strategy.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 07:31 AM
link   

I do understand your opinion and felt for the yes voters that wanted change. The real problem I had with the yes winning is the fact the same political systems would be repeated and thats not something we need nor do we have time for. May have taken the population of Scotland 20 years before they saw the mistake

Real change is needed now. We dont have time for diversions..

purp..

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Simple fact is through we had the chance to bring about real change and chose not to do so down to fear of failure. Do you really think Westminster will keep there promises regarding further devolution of powers to Hollyrood?

Never in a month of Sundays would be my bet!

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 07:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: purplemer

ture
Regardless of what you think. Scotland is my home and yes i am aware there is more to scotland than oil and agricuture. Just got a bit peed at the hyprocisy of the 45 first gping on about how westminster robs all the oil money. Then opposing fracking and thirdly when the oil crashes saying Scotland done need the oil to survice..

If thats the best peeps can come up with keep it. This policitcal thinking all falls in the same process. Scotalnd can do better and when it does she will have my vote..

Hypocracy of The 45??
Firsts of all Westminster does Rob us of our oil. that's not Hypocracy, that's fact.

Secondly, how can you Blame only "The 45" for opposing fracking?, as far as i can see everyone and their dog opposes fracking and thirdly, Scotland doesn't and never has needed Oil to survive.

As stated before, Oil and Gas was Bonus money,(we do have a stand alone economy of our own you know) that under the SNP would have been safeguarded for the future, unlike what continued London rule YOU voted for has done and plans to do with the rest of it.

I know what's wrong with you and the rest who voted No, You are all bloody ashamed of yourselves. So as compensation for your treachery you cling onto wee nuggets like, " I would have voted yes but or i was going to vote Yes but, If i knew then what i know now crap...Spare me.

I can look my future Grandkids in the eye when the subject of The Scottish referendum comes up and say, Sorry, but I tried. too many bloody cowardly back stabbing Campbell's Kid....

I doubt very much the likes of you can say and do the same.

Ps, dont bother responding,. I struggled to get through yer first three post.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Fracking seems a bit mental to me. I mean only the most foolish individuals would consider it a viable prosper to destroy and fragment the very ground beneath them.

The old saying "You don't crap on your own door step" springs to mind!

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 10:06 AM
link   

How you going to survive.. By selling sheep.... Most of the 45% where going on how they could make the revenue for the country from oil...?

Of course we could make revenue from Oil. What do you think we would have done with the Tax generated, Adopted a Snow Leopard. ?

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Sheep?? Seriously??

You really think Scotland is some third world nation??? FFS mate, no one thought Scotland was going to be supported by oil alone. The point made about oil during the lead-up to the referendum was all about how the proportional distribution of the oil wealth was going to give Scotland more ability to make changes for it's own good.

It would've been the icing on the cake so-to-speak. The icing is much thicker when spread over 5million rather than 60+million.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 03:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol

ture

Hypocracy of The 45??
Firsts of all Westminster does Rob us of our oil. that's not Hypocracy, that's fact.

Secondly, how can you Blame only "The 45" for opposing fracking?, as far as i can see everyone and their dog opposes fracking and thirdly, Scotland doesn't and never has needed Oil to survive.

As stated before, Oil and Gas was Bonus money,(we do have a stand alone economy of our own you know) that under the SNP would have been safeguarded for the future, unlike what continued London rule YOU voted for has done and plans to do with the rest of it.

I know what's wrong with you and the rest who voted No, You are all bloody ashamed of yourselves. So as compensation for your treachery you cling onto wee nuggets like, " I would have voted yes but or i was going to vote Yes but, If i knew then what i know now crap...Spare me.

I can look my future Grandkids in the eye when the subject of The Scottish referendum comes up and say, Sorry, but I tried. too many bloody cowardly back stabbing Campbell's Kid....

I doubt very much the likes of you can say and do the same.

Ps, dont bother responding,. I struggled to get through yer first three post.

Give this man a star!!

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Give this site a read over, get the real picture on the bullshiii that Westminster spew out on a daily basis

wingsoverscotland.com...

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 09:59 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

It is not a fact that you could have bought about real change. It is delusional to think that you can replicate the same paradigm of politics and expect change. There is not a political system in the western world capable of dealing with the problems we are facing. It's all part of of the empire son... Money, business, control and jobs first. Humanity and planet second....

Know your enemy and see it for what it is.....

Kind regards

Purp

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join