It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scotland's Lucky Escape

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 06:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: DrunkYogi
a reply to: Soloprotocol

Lol. I was speaking in general. Any country's unemployment would rise if the economy bombed would it not?
Anyway you's are all doing a good job of deflecting from the OP. What state would our country be in if we had become Independent. I see no one has really ventured an answer. Maybe that's because they know the answer and just don't want to admit they were wrong.

Maybe it's because no-one knows. why are you so sure Scotland would Bomb. any facts to back up your predictions or as i said is it all based on wishful thinking.?

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 06:28 AM
link   
a reply to: DrunkYogi

"What state would our country be in if we had become Independent."

It would have been in a state of Independence!

Hardships aside, for a significant proportion of our population, that would have been at least a start, a step in the right direction!

edit on 6-1-2015 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Maybe that's because they know the answer and just don't want to admit they were wrong.

Ahhh the ever classic: I reject your reality and instead insert my own!!

Are you seriously pretending you sought others' opinions while you repeatedly tell us were all wrong?

NO, you came here looking for an argument, and you got one. Admit it, you're happy.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Since we wouldn't actually have become independent for at least another 14 months it is pretty hard to guestimate based on current economic situation.
Still I remember one of the reasons given to vote no was to protect oil jobs, how is that working out?

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 06:51 AM
link   
a reply to: 8675309jenny

Lol. No need to go in a strop.

Self-Hating Scots. That's what all the people in Scotland are that don't support your agenda. Thanks for saying it and confirming that point of view. There's one born every minute.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 06:54 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Nationalism always look like a step in the right direction. Until people see too late that it isn't.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 06:57 AM
link   

I am certainly not happy, i am delighted. Delighted we voted NO. So should you be considering the state the country would be in if Salmond had his way.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 07:00 AM
link   
a reply to: ScepticScot

I guess it is working out fine considering how high the level of Unemployment would be across the board if Salmond had his way.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 07:02 AM
link   

a reply to: andy06shake

Nationalism always look like a step in the right direction. Until people see too late that it isn't.

And pledging Allegiance to a broken Union and a on it's arse Empire is so great why.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 07:02 AM
link   
I'm away for my afternoon nap. Wish me sweet dreams everyone.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 07:05 AM
link   
This stinks of bitter recriminations from both sides.

The simple FACT is that for better or worse Scotland chose to remain within the UK.
It is now up to us all to make a better UK.
Who cares about the 'could have', 'if only' and 'maybe' etc - deal with the reality of NOW and the foreseeable future.

Even though Scotland voted to remain within the UK it is without doubt that the debate and subsequent vote has completely changed the political landscape of the UK.
It has invigorated many people from all parts of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
It is up to us, the people, to force the politicians to implement the changes that WE want and to do that we need to remain positive and focussed.

Petty squabbling about what may have been achieves absolutely nothing except division - exactly what 'they' want.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 07:10 AM
link   

I am certainly not happy, i am delighted. Delighted we voted NO. So should you be considering the state the country would be in if Salmond had his way.

As opposed to the state it IS in because you got your way. Well Done.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 07:11 AM
link   

So with the current price of oil below $50 a barrel i would suggest Scotland and the UK have had a lucky escape. What state would the country be in and what would our option's have been.

It would be useful if you start a thread like this to at least have some basic facts to fall back on. Scotland is not dependant on oil for its revenues. It generates 46 billion a year independent of oil.

In fact on a per capita basis the non oil income of Scotland is the same as the UK non oil income. So how can oil be a problem for an independent Scotland but not for the UK? You can do maths can't you?

The whole point about the oil revenues is that per capita the amount is significantly higher (5million people) than when it is part of the UK (70million) and thus it can be used in a far more effective way than propping up a right wing ideologically driven economy that is failing. An independent Scotland would have gone down a scandanavian route which, if you care to take a look, is far more prosperous economic model and much higher "wellbeing" amongst the population (event though they are taxed at levels that make the average US citizen and UK Tory rail in horror !!!!!). Which says more about a capitalist ideological belief than facts !!!!

FYI I'm from Yorkshire, I voted YES, I'm not an SNP supporter and I'm amazed at the number of No voters who now wish they had voted Yes.

"The way forward" for the UK away from the two party system is driven by........Nigel Farage......God help us! An Eton educated (grey suit), ex Banker (very nice bunch of people!), Thatcherite, ......Jesus H!!!!

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 07:12 AM
link   

a reply to: ScepticScot

I guess it is working out fine considering how high the level of Unemployment would be across the board if Salmond had his way.

And again, You know this how.? Sounds to me like you are just here for a quick gloat and to do some Trolling.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 07:16 AM
link   

And your alternative is an antiquated monarchy. How very progressive!

edit on 6-1-2015 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Here's a Scenario for you. What if at the next election Labour need to form a coalition and if the figures are anything to go by the SNP could wipe the floor with Labour here gaining as much as twenty seats in Westminster...How would the English feel about a Labour/SNP Coalition.?

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 07:26 AM
link   

I'm away for my afternoon nap. Wish me sweet dreams everyone.

No Doubt you'll be dreaming of Rule Britannia and 66. Ya Traitor.
edit on 6-1-2015 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-1-2015 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 07:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol
A Labour/tory coalition is more likely. They are both right of centre parties after all.
I don't think labour could go into a formal coalition with SNP. They are already looking at losing a lot of seats up here, what they would need to offer would cost the too many votes south of the border.

edit on 6-1-2015 by ScepticScot because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-1-2015 by ScepticScot because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 07:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: yorkshirelad

So with the current price of oil below $50 a barrel i would suggest Scotland and the UK have had a lucky escape. What state would the country be in and what would our option's have been.

It would be useful if you start a thread like this to at least have some basic facts to fall back on. Scotland is not dependant on oil for its revenues. It generates 46 billion a year independent of oil.

In fact on a per capita basis the non oil income of Scotland is the same as the UK non oil income. So how can oil be a problem for an independent Scotland but not for the UK? You can do maths can't you?

The whole point about the oil revenues is that per capita the amount is significantly higher (5million people) than when it is part of the UK (70million) and thus it can be used in a far more effective way than propping up a right wing ideologically driven economy that is failing. An independent Scotland would have gone down a scandanavian route which, if you care to take a look, is far more prosperous economic model and much higher "wellbeing" amongst the population (event though they are taxed at levels that make the average US citizen and UK Tory rail in horror !!!!!). Which says more about a capitalist ideological belief than facts !!!!

FYI I'm from Yorkshire, I voted YES, I'm not an SNP supporter and I'm amazed at the number of No voters who now wish they had voted Yes.

"The way forward" for the UK away from the two party system is driven by........Nigel Farage......God help us! An Eton educated (grey suit), ex Banker (very nice bunch of people!), Thatcherite, ......Jesus H!!!!

Well said!

I actually don't think Farage is that bad if he at least scares some sense into the other parties. The EU needs a bit of an ego-check anyway.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 07:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn
You are not wrong but unless you can round up 20 plus million other English voters to agree with you then I am going to have to keep supporting independence as the only realistic way to get reform.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join