It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eating Poopoo Watching Others Suffer & Comedy Why Is It Funny?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 08:49 AM
link   
a reply to: FormOfTheLord

I am pretty sure it is because we have ALL been conditioned and forced to be a part of a "proper" and "civilized" society where we all wear clothes and have a public persona and edit out all of the nastier elements of existence to avoid embarrassment. So when an oopsie happens, in its endless variety, it seems to always be funny (depending on how much pain is caused). But even when it is a terribly sad situation, people have still managed to laugh at it. Like that Intervention show clip when this black alcoholic breaks down into this very peculiar crying fit. There are over a dozen music auto-tune remixes of the cry itself on YouTube. Another thing usually laugh at is when somebody they know has a total spazz. I think it probably has to do with facial recognition and body language and detecting errors in the environment as to what is normal.

It is also a mindset particular to certain types of personalities - namely the prankster. Teenage boys and males generally get their #s and giggles on when they can master a good prank. Fake puke hidden somewhere to freak someone out, ridiculous phonecalls etc. The more sophisticated the prank-making technology, the more irresistable and hilarious for the prankster, I assume.

But even pranksters can have higher ideals in the long run...

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Another funny example of our society devolving into self mortification for kicks. I loled a few times watching every video I have posted, including the eating of the poopoo.

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 05:03 AM
link   

I have noticed its not just an American thing, its worldwide abusive comedy.

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I wonder if delighting in the suffering of others is hardwired into our DNA. Makes you wonder. . . .

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Study reveals people physically take pleasure in others' pain

Scientific evidence shows that people take pleasure in others' pain, a study claims.

A collection of four experiments showed biological and self-reported evidence that people experienced happiness when someone they were jealous of or despised had something negative happen to them.

The phenomenon is known as "Schadenfreude."

The first experiment measured subjects' physical responses to various people and situations. The participants had their cheek movements monitored with an electromyogram (EMG), which measures the electrical activity of facial movements when a person smiles.

The participants were shown photos of various stereotypical people: the elderly (pity), students or Americans (pride), drug addicts (disgust) and rich professionals (envy). Then, the photographs were paired with a positive, neutral or negative events like winning five dollars, going to the bathroom or getting soaked by a taxi. The subjects were then asked how they would feel if this event happened to the person in the picture.

No matter what people said, the scientists saw that people tended to smile more when something negative happened to the rich individuals.

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 12:33 AM
link   
My friend and I jokingly call ourselves Debbie and Dashawn Downer. We are fans of dark comedy. It's funny like that SNL skit Debbie Downer, where everything is always miserable but they make a joke out of it. Surprisingly, even people with insanely ridiculous lives filled with one #storm after another can still themselves be totally hilarious overall just because of their personality. Even during an episode where I am having the worst day ever, I can still find a way to find something amusing in it.

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 03:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: corsair00
My friend and I jokingly call ourselves Debbie and Dashawn Downer. We are fans of dark comedy. It's funny like that SNL skit Debbie Downer, where everything is always miserable but they make a joke out of it. Surprisingly, even people with insanely ridiculous lives filled with one #storm after another can still themselves be totally hilarious overall just because of their personality. Even during an episode where I am having the worst day ever, I can still find a way to find something amusing in it.

Lol i remember calling my sister Debbie Downer, she then said all her friends had been calling her that too. It could be in human nature to look at the dark side of things, because if we all did the right thing the wourld would be just too good for us right.. . . . lol. . .

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Totally. And yeah, my friend... she can't have children and might be dying of cancer.

LOL

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 11:45 AM
link   
We are explicitly conditioned to laugh at other people's pain. The powers that be want to desensitize us to violence as much as possible created a nation of sociopaths. For one thing as a child up to about 12 yrs old I hate jackass it freaked me the # out because I empathized with the people getting hurt. I would think "these white people are crazy" but then it became more normal and funny my brain gradually stopped empathizing. And there's extremes for this too if anyone ever heard of "bum fights" it's the same idea but taking advantage of poor people. All I want to know is why are they trying to desensitize us?

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 11:50 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 11:56 AM
link   
youtu.be...

Collection of Slapstick Comedy Scenes, 1920's - Film 7100

youtu.be...

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Looney Tunes Cartoon Violence Montage

youtu.be...

that's all folks

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Here is another example of comedy, its only funny because these guys die in a very stupid manner. By the way this is hilarous to me, so very funny to watch these guys explode, I wonder if its in our DNA to laugh at others demise. . . .

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 01:43 AM
link   

LOL Yes, that was the funniest scene in that movie. The movie itself was #ing horrible, but most American comedies are...

It's funny in several different ways though, mostly because they are all ridiculous and vane and the music was super upbeat and cheesy.

It reminds me of the 'Darwin Awards' site. I haven't visited it in a while, but it's full of comedic examples of the demise of stupid people. Or just really stupid ways to die. Like a guy at a zoo trying to douche a constipated elephant and when it finally all came out, he was in the way and drowned in #.

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Idiocracy the movie covered this state of the human condition:

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 05:35 AM
link   
I hate this type of comedy. It isn't funny. It is juvenile, plain and simple. Quality comedy relies on wit. Sadly, when I try to come with examples of quality comedians I realize that each one I think of has passed on.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join