It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PETCO pulling treats amid fears Chinese products sickened pets

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Just in case. I'm a little peeved I couldn't find a list, but it may be prudent to wait to give your fluffy one a treat until there is an actual list.

Petco said Monday it has removed all remaining Chinese-made dog and cat treats from its website and stores nationwide because of concerns they have sickened thousands of pets and killed 1,000 dogs in the U.S. since 2007.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration says initial tests have not connected the Chinese jerky and rawhide treats to the illnesses, but the San Diego-based company and its rival PetSmart vowed in May to ban the snacks.

Well, crap. I typically go to the small locally owned shop down the street, but they have more limited hours so my pup may have ingested this crap. Seriously China, get your S# together.

Also, if you needed a reason to boycott PetSmart here you go.

Petco is the first national pet retailer to pull the treats from its 1,300 stores. Phoenix-based PetSmart Inc. said Monday that it plans to have them off shelves at its roughly 1,300 stores by March.

F# U PetSmart. Get that crap off the shelves NOW. Seriously? They want 2 months to pull products that are poisoning our pets? How hard is it to send an alert to stores and have suspected products pulled? I wonder if they would have even lifted a finger to fix the problem if Petco hadn't stepped up (and WAY too late).

Since 2007. Great. Good job.

The FDA targeted the treats after receiving more than 4,800 complaints of pet illnesses, including the deaths, after pets ate chicken, duck or sweet potato jerky treats from China. Tests have not confirmed any connection, but the agency is still investigating.

I don't care if you're still investigating, you should have warned us there was a potential problem. We didn't find out about this until a large company decided it was prudent to pull the products so they wouldn't get sued? It's been a LONG time since complaints came rolling in.

Oh, then there's this:

The 2008 Chinese milk scandal was a food safety incident in China, involving milk and infant formula, and other food materials and components, adulterated with melamine.

By November 2008, China reported an estimated 300,000 victims,[1] with six infants dying from kidney stones and other kidney damage, and an estimated 54,000 babies being hospitalised.[2][3] The chemical appeared to have been added to milk to cause it to appear to have a higher protein content. In a separate incident four years before, watered-down milk had resulted in 13 infant deaths from malnutrition.[4]

Link

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 01:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

They want 2 months to pull products that are poisoning our pets?

They need to think about their dirty wads of murder money first...

Disgusting corporate parasites.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 02:32 AM
link   
I don't give my dog anything with "made in China" on the label.
There are plenty of deer and wild hog bones to be had around here.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 02:42 AM
link   

China citizens must be so proud that when you see the made in China label you think about crappy quality and stolen ideas. Seriously if I was Chinese I would be ashamed.

The best thing we can do is stop buying anything made in China check the label and bankrupt this 2 bit country of thieves and liars. I also hope companies like petco and petsmart are sued into bankruptcy. They knew what was going on and did nothing. Every pet owner who lost a pet should file a lawsuit against both of these scumbag companies.
edit on 6-1-2015 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 06:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: SubTruth

The best thing we can do is stop buying anything made in China check the label and bankrupt this 2 bit country of thieves and liars. I also hope companies like petco and petsmart are sued into bankruptcy. They knew what was going on and did nothing. Every pet owner who lost a pet should file a lawsuit against both of these scumbag companies.

I couldn't agree more. I have been reading labels on my best friends rawhides for about 15 years.

They get tricky sometimes, like usa china was used as a 'manufactured in' label. Looks like U.S.A. at a glance.

This has been known for a looooong time, its criminal petco and such still stocks this poison.

All about the $$

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 09:15 AM
link   
We look on the label when we buy treats for any of our animals. If it says "made in China" we don't buy it. Too many instances of pets getting sick or dying from treats made over there and I'm not risking mine.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Does this really surprise anyone that these treats are coming from a country where you can walk down most any side street in the city and pick out the dog you would like to have served to you for a meal? And yes, that is a reality and I have seen it first hand.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Both my cats have been throwing up quit a bit lately. They cough like it is a hairball but them up comes a... (don't make me describe vomit) its not normal, its not just fluid and hair. It looks like most of what they ate that day.

Never thought to check where cat food is coming from. I'm a terrible pet owner

Cat food? Check!! Sale? Check!!

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Without regulation people this is simply a red flag for the meat and other food products they are sending by the boatload to America.

Human food consumption from China has no reason to be in our grocery stores and yet it continues to be a problem.

They raise and slaughter their meats here in the US and the ship them back to China. What is left behind is an economical disaster. That and the renderings which long after they are dated and contaminated become pet food.

Cant invade a country where people actually love their pets, train them as home defense (naturally if treated with dignity, love, respect)...

How many years does this have to happen before people stop buying the tumor/cancer/organ failure pet products?

I pass by that section at every chance I get and mention it to people, but even my own family continue to buy these 'treats' for their pets health...

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 10:44 AM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

www.organicconsumers.org...

prwatch.org...

www.rense.com...

So much info out there on this ongoing and deadly problem.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Pet Treats?
Never mind pet treats what about apple juice and Tilapia?
Our government is absolutely crazy to allow any food from
China.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Thanks for sharing this. I sent the link to friends and family so they know, too. Between the toxic toys and tainted food it's almost like a silent war against the US. I'm not saying that it is one, understand, but it is a way to cause harm.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 05:45 PM
link   
My dogs love that Chinese crap (It's "Waggin Train" and "Canyon Creek" brands, I'm pretty sure) but now we only give them "True Chews" which are Tyson chicken from the US.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Last time it was beggin strips

I actually was in smartpets last month and i guess i have been under a rock but 30lbs of dog food was 55$

i think we get all the rotten dog food from china so they don't poison their food supply there.
edit on 6-1-2015 by deadeyedick because: (no reason given)

top topics

join