It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

b-2 and other drone topics

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 11:18 PM
link   
i was looking at Bernard Zee's edwards AFB open house pics(awesome) and i remember awhile ago i saw a B-2 with something in tow, it's hard to say how far away the thing the B-2 was towing maybe 25-50 feet behind it.

If i remember correctly the B-2 got a new ELF antenna, was what i saw a old ELF antenna? a decoy pod? iv never seen any pictures online of the B-2 and its tag along, but i know what i saw.

on to my drone question.

I was looking around for info regarding the sensors various UAV'S use. i assume the rq-170 that was over iran was looking for some sort of 'proof' of there nuclear ambitions. With my very limited knowledge of how nuclear 'stuff' works it seems no matter what or who is making enriched uranium or PU the process has some seepage of radio isotopes.

obviously it would have to be quite low to use a instrument that could detect the small amount of whatever isotope they were looking for,Is that how Iran was able to spoof the C&C signals to the 170? from it being so low?

Russia and the US have agreements that let them check each others various nuclear sites out, i highly doubt that they are sending in low and slow flying drones to check each other out. I have a sneaking suspicion that the green or even yellow fast moving craft have a role in said mission. I would even hazard a guess that maybe the Minot AFB missile shutdowns in the late 80's was a weapon test.

so if these drones or aircraft have such great sensors why would they be flying relatively low and slow?

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 01:53 AM
link   
There is natural radioactivity all around us so probably they're trying to map an area it may take a while to recieve enough particles to get an idea of whats coming up from the ground and you can compare that with what you'd expect to see from the natural and anything of interest could then be looked at more closely

as for drones c&c going funny it could be that not enough effort was put into the error trapping routines so that once something went wrong it couldn't handle the error properly and thus got its panties twirled and thats they say is that probably due to no one thinking to try and beaming interference at it on the control frequency and see if a random combination could trigger a fault

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 04:08 AM
link   
If you're interested in nuclear detection (and espionage) I'd highly recommend a book called Spying on the Bomb by Jeffrey T Richelson. It's really scientifically and historically comprehensive, describing detection methods from WWII to present day in North Korea and Iran. Obviously it's not going to blow your mind with classified science, but when I read it I found it a great introduction to the different detection techniques, and the incredible difficulties and uncertainties that go with it. www.amazon.co.uk...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1420537907&sr=8-1&keywords=spying+on+the+b omb

As Maxatoria says, there is considerable background radiation everywhere so using that as a primary detection tool isn't much use. Interestingly (and coincidentally) the place in the world with the highest background radiation is .... in Iran! en.wikipedia.org...

However there are other methods of detection, as there are different types of radiation. Additionally a lot of the detection comes from searching for specific isotopes that are created at various stages of enrichment and weapons production rather than the radiation itself (IIRC).

Iran allows inspections by the IAEA who go in periodically to weigh their Uranium supplies and count in and out their centrifuges. Additionally certain areas of the Iranian enrichment facilities are under 24 hour CCTV broadcast straight back to the IAEA. I quite like the idea that maybe the RQ-170 has some nuclear detection equipment onboard but I'm more inclined to think its just more of an eyes-in-the-skies type of surveillance rather than direct detection. We know that the drone was used for aerial surveillance in the capture of Osama Bin Laden, so unless it has interchangeable sensor pods I think its probably watching the enrichment facilities. Also there is always the possibility that Iran hasn't declared all their facilities so perhaps the drones are being used to spy on various industrial complexes from the sky to determine if any enrichment is going on there.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 07:04 AM
link   
a reply to: gfad

There was another not yet declassified drone flying over Iran a little while ago, seemed to annoy them a bit, there were news articles back then about it but I can't seem to find them at the moment.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 07:07 AM
link   
a reply to: penroc3

Something was let slip unintentionally about the B2 tracking nuclear weapons, not so much the development of it.

A few of us on here picked it up when the story came out about the new equipment on the B2, would have gone over a lot of people's heads I suspect, one of those things that if you didn't know what you were looking at you'd probably believe it aswell.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 06:31 PM
link   
a reply to: B2StealthBomber

hmm maybe i should just let sleeping dogs lie then?

i dont want to call any unneeded attation to our forces as far as the B2 goes.

unclassified drones over iran you say? got any pics ....jk jk. im sure there is all sorts of assets space,air,ground in iran as we speak.

as crazy as it sounds i would like the SHTF somewhere over seas with a modern adversary just to see what the US pulls out of its deep dark pockets.

GFAD: thanks for the great book. im about to load it onto my ipad.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 01:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: penroc3

If i remember correctly the B-2 got a new ELF antenna, was what i saw a old ELF antenna? a decoy pod? iv never seen any pictures online of the B-2 and its tag along, but i know what i saw.

I've heard about this too. Saw a picture deep some where but can't find it now. There are some interesting ideas I've heard about using the B-2 as a surveillance platform. Great paper that I'm going to post here soon. Not a new idea
edit on 7-1-2015 by aholic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 11:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: penroc3

obviously it would have to be quite low to use a instrument that could detect the small amount of whatever isotope they were looking for,Is that how Iran was able to spoof the C&C signals to the 170? from it being so low?

Perhaps. The fact that the downed drone was nearly white is evidence it was intended for use at low altitudes (for best camouflage, the proper color gets darker the higher altitude, so U-2 and SR-71 are very dark grey). And low altitudes mean, for me, radioisotope detection (maybe even samples?) or ULF electromagnetics for 50/60 hz powerline analytics for centrifuges.

so if these drones or aircraft have such great sensors why would they be flying relatively low and slow?

Signal to noise ratio. Good sensors already have high %age quantum efficiency conversion of particles to signals. You can't do better than the limits of physics, and so with a known background and an expected signal emission rate you can compute the maximum distance even assuming perfect sensors.

It's conceivable the drones have active emitters, e.g. pulse a few neutrons of certain energies and see if get back counter pulse of particular radiation which is a good indication of fissile materials specifically. With an appropriate pulse time series and assumptions about the response (which you can model) you might be able to detect and quantify fissiles at a negative signal to noise ratio (in log db) with a lock-in amplifier/CDMA type of correlation analysis.

This technology was probably developed for arms limitation treaty verification. No doubt technical details would be extremely restricted for obvious reasons.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 09:44 PM
link   
a reply to: mbkennel

www.sciencedirect.com...

hmm. sneaky science

i would seriously consider signing a NDA and giving my personal life over to some of the contractors to just look at some of there stuff.

they can keep me as long as i get free rides.

*makes me wonder how the residents of los alomos and other nuclear research towns feel about being bombarded by neutrons and god knows what other sensors from the Russian over flights

over all i'm sure it keeps everyone on check. but if the person who has been apparently censored here(A***0) is right and there are giant platforms on/at the edge of the atmosphere why not just dominate the global theater?

www.ufocasebook.com...

I said in my original post that a "ufo"(i say "UFO" because i would bet my bottom $ that SOMEONE know what it was) shut down independent missile systems to the point they couldn't launch if they wanted to. And as we all know the story got out. I HIGHLY doubt even if it was a rumor the USAF would let out there missiles could be shut down to a no-go status by ONE craft. what better way to send a message to the Russians then giving them a little demo?

on a side note there was recently(2014) a reports doing a story in France when a BRIGHT green object with no smoke trail. Could that have been us checking out france's nuclear ambitions/sales? or just a demo for people who know when and where to look?

Thank you for the info always enjoy learning new things, really sparks the imagination to whats possible and a little good ol' American pride

new topics

top topics

join