It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

College president sorry for saying 'All lives matter'

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Source

Smith College President Kathleen McCartney sent an email to the student body with the subject:

"All lives matter"

Almost immediately, she was reprimanded by students who were offended. Her crime?

She sail "All lives matter" instead of "Black lives matter"

McCartney quickly responded with this email, in which she apologizes for using the more inclusive term, "All lives matter" instead of "black lives matter" and vowed to be a "white ally" in the fight against institutional racism.

What's at issue here doesn't have anything to do with race. It's about stupidity, and that we're living in an Orwellian world controlled by thought police guided by doublespeak.

Diversity is doublespeak for "We want diversity as long as it is OUR diversity.

More doublespeak? How about this masterfully crafted sentence: "It minimizes the anti-blackness of your situation."

WTF? Should we want to maximize anti-blackness instead of minimize it? And saying "all lives matter" is an attack against blacks? Jesus was a racist I guess.

Even more doublespeak? Want to fight racism? You can't do it alone. You need a "white ally."

And this is from the President of an "elite" college?

I don't think having her as an ally helps the cause, do you?

edit on 5-1-2015 by Jamie1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 09:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jamie1
Source

Smith College President Kathleen McCartney sent an email to the student body with the subject:

"All lives matter"

Almost immediately, she was reprimanded by students who were offended. Her crime?

She sail "All lives matter" instead of "Black lives matter"

McCartney quickly responded with this email, in which she apologizes for using the more inclusive term, "All lives matter" instead of "black lives matter" and vowed to be a "white ally" in the fight against institutional racism.

What's at issue here doesn't have anything to do with race. It's about stupidity, and that we're living in an Orwellian world controlled by thought police guided by doublespeak.

Diversity is doublespeak for "We want diversity as long as it is OUR diversity.

More doublespeak? How about this masterfully crafted sentence: "It minimizes the anti-blackness of your situation."

WTF? Should we want to maximize anti-blackness instead of minimize it? And saying "all lives matter" is an attack against blacks? Jesus was a racist I guess.

Even more doublespeak? Want to fight racism? You can't do it alone. You need a "white ally."

And this is from the President of an "elite" college?

I don't think having her as an ally helps the cause, do you?

She was crucified on the altar of social justice

I get the responses you posted, and how given the protests are about black people and police brutality, we should stay on topic.

I have worked in social justice for almost a decade now, and am a "white ally." HOWEVER, i am becoming increasingly frustrated with the climate that is emerging. More and more the job description of being an ally means nodding and smiling and having no critical feedback. And if one does, it is said to be due to the delusion of unchecked white privilege, a catch all mental disease and state of being that explains everything. Or even worse, a person, even an ally, who has a different perspective on even a minute aspect of the narrative may be called a closet racist.

I don't know what to do. It makes me want to stop participating.
edit on 5-1-2015 by Quetzalcoatl14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 09:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Quetzalcoatl14

On topic is the stupidity of political correctness and being controlled by the thought police. Race is just the context of this particular situation.

Keep participating. Don't let the stupidity discourage you. Have fun with it. I just spoke to a friend who goes to a famous university and she said it's the stupidest thing she's ever seen. Nobody cares about reality. No critical thinking at all. It's all about fitting the facts to the narrative.

My favorite is the idea of diversity. Diversity only includes the approved diversity of the thought police. Any deviation, even saying all lives matter instead of black lives matter, is a punishable offense.

Somebody should just stop the insanity and say, "No. I said all lives matter because I believe all lives DO matter. You have a problem with that?"

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Llked his first statement better. All lives matter is better than just some lives matter. The Nazis began thinking this way when they began euthanizing people whose "lives were not worth living".

First it was the seriously disabled and infirmed, and "crazy".Then Jews, various religious groups like Jehovahs witnesses, 7th day adventists, "little" people, enemies of the state and generally anyone in their path of conquest.

But it all began with the notion that some people lives weren't worth living.

Slippery slope 1

Link2
edit on 5-1-2015 by intrptr because: aded links

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 09:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Jamie1

Good. God. What a load of CYA drivel.

You know what I'd like to see? Someone apologizing for not giving one single f[snip] that someone got offended.

"I'm sorry that I am honestly, not even in the slightest bit, sorry, AT ALL, that you're a little crybaby."

Now THAT would resonate with honesty.

I agree with the original draft, that yes, all lives matter.

I'll let Coach Knight take it from here:

"Let me answer that, ya know, that is an absolute crock of [BLEEEEEP]. Ya know you [BLEEEP]'in people in the news media, all a ya [BLEEEEP]s dwell on some negative piece of [BLEEEP] like that, and, I don't know how Steve feels about it, but it just [BLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP]. And you don't have to bleep one single [BLEEEEEP]'in word of this."

edit on 152015 by CloudsTasteMetallic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Either "All Lives Matter" or "No Lives Matter" so people should be choosing their poison. To go around preaching a message of exclusion, eg. Black Lives Matter, is ridiculous as it indicates that ONLY black lives matter and to hell with anyone else. As an example a National Parks Ranger tells a logger before cutting down trees, "Butternut Trees Matter," that means the rest don't by exclusion and he can cut down everything BUT Butternut trees. I imagine you see where this is going, it's all part of the media driven "divide and conquer" program and they are doing a pretty good job (especially since I noticed that "other post" on "white allies" ROFL). People are people and when it comes to the police getting out of line, EVERYBODY MATTERS!

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 10:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
Llked his first statement better. All lives matter is better than just some lives matter. The Nazis began thinking this way when they began euthanizing people whose "lives were not worth living".

First it was the seriously disabled and infirmed, and "crazy".Then Jews, various religious groups like Jehovahs witnesses, 7th day adventists, "little" people, enemies of the state and generally anyone in their path of conquest.

But it all began with the notion that some people lives weren't worth living.

Slippery slope 1

Link2

When the offended minority control the frame, and the leaders are so weak that they allow themselves to be controlled, anybody can be the next target.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Well everything has a conspiracy angle.

This whole thing could have been a planned operation from the beginning.

Theory/anti-theory/solution.

A mix of controlled opposition and feigned support and vise-versa.

The solution satisfies some and outrages others.

Never let a crisis go to waste. Read between the lines and note what wasn't said.

Creates some cognitive dissonance doesn't it.

edit on Jan-05-2015 by xuenchen because: --
--

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Let's be brutally honest...
Everything highlighted in the second Email was true.

Whether people like it or not.

The Slogan was hijacked...

Either because the person who hijacked it didn't have the intelligence to find another phrase for their cause...

Or they wanted to take attention away from the initial cause.

"Everyone's Important"...

That slogan took me a split second to think up!

It highlights an important cause...
& doesn't hijack another important cause...

Was it really that difficult for the hijacker to do that?

Will people say "it happens to everyone".
Yes.

Does that mean racism doesn't exist?
No.

So was it necessary or moral to hijack the Slogan?
Any answer other than "No" is agenda driven nonsense!

Is "Everyone's Important" an equally necessary cause?
Yes.

Are people gonna get off their slobbish arses and fight that cause, or just derail and deride the equally important cause Black Lives Matter while screaming race baiter & White guilt at people who give a s#?
I'll leave you to answer that one.

We don't need the Prediction & Prophecy Forum to see where this threads going though!
edit on 5-1-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 10:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: CloudsTasteMetallic

Good. God. What a load of CYA drivel.

You know what I'd like to see? Someone apologizing for not giving one single f[snip] that someone got offended.

"I'm sorry that I am honestly, not even in the slightest bit, sorry, AT ALL, that you're a little crybaby."

Now THAT would resonate with honesty.

I agree with the original draft, that yes, all lives matter.

I'll let Coach Knight take it from here:

"Let me answer that, ya know, that is an absolute crock of [BLEEEEEP]. Ya know you [BLEEEP]'in people in the news media, all a ya [BLEEEEP]s dwell on some negative piece of [BLEEEP] like that, and, I don't know how Steve feels about it, but it just [BLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP]. And you don't have to bleep one single [BLEEEEEP]'in word of this."

Awesome! Love the video!!!

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 10:14 PM
link   
a reply to: CloudsTasteMetallic

That Bob is one hell of a guy! Thx for the vid, rather enjoyed itπŸ‘πŸ‘

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 10:15 PM
link   
In the meantime

Two police officers shot in Fordham section of the Bronx
7online.com...

FORDHAM (WABC) -- Two police officers were shot in the Fordham section of the Bronx Monday night. It happened at E. 184th Street and Tiebout Avenue. One officer was shot in the arm, and the other officer was shot in the back. The officers were rushed to St. Barnabas Hospital. Police are still searching for the suspect.

all lives matter

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 10:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
Let's be brutally honest...
Everything highlighted in the second Email was true.

Whether people like it or not.

Either because the person who hijacked it didn't have the intelligence to find another phrase for their cause...

Or they wanted to take attention away from the initial cause.

"Everyone's Important"...

That slogan took me a split second to think up!

It highlights an important cause...
& doesn't hijack another important cause...

Was it really that difficult for the hijacker to do that?

Will people say "it happens to everyone".
Yes.

Does that mean racism doesn't exist?
No.

So was it necessary or moral to hijack the Slogan?
Any answer other than "No" is agenda driven nonsense!

Is "Everyone's Important" an equally necessary cause?
Yes.

Are people gonna get off their slobbish arses and fight that cause, or just derail and deride the equally important cause Black Lives Matter while screaming race baiter & White guilt at people who give a s#?
I'll leave you to answer that one.

We don't need the Prediction & Prophecy Forum to see where this threads going though!

Hijacked the phrase?

Have you ever seen a Venn Diagram?

All lives would also include black lives.

Great example of the exact point I'm making in the OP. Stupidity and being offended rules the day. Rational thought counts for nothing. To state that making a statement that "all lives matter" is an offense to those who willfully claimed the exclusionary phrase "black lives matter" idiotic.

Yes, that's where this threads going. Shining the light on people who claim others offended them in an effort to control them, and the complete lack of any rational thinking to justify the offense.

I think all lives matter. So do a lot of other people. Is it really that hard to accept without getting your panties in a knot? Really? That offends you??

I like kittens too. Does that offend you?

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 10:19 PM
link   
By saying that all lives matter she is indirectly stating that black lives matter just as much as white lives... that is a stronger statement than simply saying black lives matter. Sure black lives matter, no one will debate that, but how much do they matter? By not specifying how much they matter, one might be stating that they matter very little. See how logic can backfire on you when you try to over think things? The students who responded are over nurtured imbeciles who think they have the wisdom of a thousand philosophers. What is a "black life" anyway? How black do you have to be before your life is valued as a black life? Perhaps the "color committee" should have a meeting about it so we can get a precise definition of what it means to be a "person of color".
edit on 5/1/2015 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Who said I was offended?

I can see through the bulls#.

Doesn't offend me, it makes me laugh...

I laugh at the insecurity of the White people making a big deal out of a Slogan that highlights a problem with racism against Black people...

I laugh at the pathetic attempts to justify hijacking the Slogan of another persons movement because they neither have the intellect or ingenuity to think of their own...

But mostly I laugh at people claiming "offence" was taken...
When in fact the ones offended are the people who can't handle a Slogan designed by Black people for a Black hardship...

Who's offended really?
Because all I hear is "me, me, me" & "other people have been excluded from the Slogan"...
That sounds like people have taken offence to me?

Offended?
I'm sitting here with one of the biggest smiles I've ever had...

Especially at the hurt feelings of "exclusion" which is really all about insecurity of feeling left out?
Well guess what...
The Slogan is about highlighting Racism against Black people...
So you are excluded...
So am I...
Get over it...

I got a smile on my face...
I bet others here are throthing at the mouth...

Who's offended?

My smile just grew wider.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 10:34 PM
link   

a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

Perhaps the desired perception.

But I don't think either "slogan" was patented, copyrighted, or trade marked.

I bet a team of lawyers wrote both "emails".

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 10:41 PM
link   
There is a specific movement here, involving social injustice for blacks. Agree or don't agree with the basic tenets of the movement, but acknowledge that the movement exists. The movement has a slogan - Black Lives Matter.

The college president sends an email stating that she and the college are in support of this movement, but she mistakenly says "all lives matter", which is not the slogan of the movement. The students inform her why the slogan is what it is. Wanting to fully support the movement, the college president corrects herself.

If you are wanting to support the movement, at least get the slogan right.

I get why the students wanted it corrected. Let's say there has been a huge problem with sex trafficking of kids under the age of 14. Let's say there is a movement to highlight this problem and to try and stop it. Let's say the slogan of this movement is "Kids' Lives Matter". Now, let's say a person in the limelight publicly states their support of this movement, but calls the movement "All People's Lives Matter". Well, duh - sure all people's lives matter, but that is not the slogan of the movement. It is taking away from the specific target of the movement, which is kids.
edit on 5-1-2015 by kaylaluv because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 10:42 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

The desired perception is that Black Lives Matter was mentally taken down by paranoid White privileged fools to mean "Only"...

The fallacy of people claiming it should just be All Lives Matter, defeats the Logic of speaking out about racism against Black people...

**Yeah every race has Racists...

It's people too slobbish & lazy to speak up about it outside of ranting on forums & social media who are complaining that Black folks have made a stand...

Tough s# if you haven't got the guts or wearabouts to do it...
They have...

Get over it.**

**Not directed at you Xuenchen**

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 10:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs

Who said I was offended?

I can see through the bulls#.

Doesn't offend me, it makes me laugh...

I laugh at the insecurity of the White people making a big deal out of a Slogan that highlights a problem with racism against Black people...

I laugh at the pathetic attempts to justify hijacking the Slogan of another persons movement because they neither have the intellect or ingenuity to think of their own...

But mostly I laugh at people claiming "offence" was taken...
When in fact the ones offended are the people who can't handle a Slogan designed by Black people for a Black hardship...

Who's offended really?
Because all I here is "me, me, me" & "other people have been excluded from the Slogan"...
That sounds like people have taken offence to me?

Offended?
I'm sitting here with one of the biggest smiles I've ever had...

Especially at the hurt feelings of "exclusion" which is really all about insecurity of feeling left out?
Well guess what...
The Slogan is about highlighting Racism against Black people...
So you are excluded...
So am I...
Get over it...

I got a smile on my face...
I bet others here are throthing at the mouth...

Who's offended?

My smile just grew wider.

Love it!

Love that you're smiling. We can have different views and still be smiling.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 10:48 PM
link   

a reply to: kaylaluv

The college president sends an email stating that she and the college are in support of this movement, but she mistakenly says "all lives matter"

Which IMO, was all part of the plan.

"Convenient" errors always make good results.

The end result here is the establishment of a White/Black separation from a "credible" source.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join