It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senior Republican Steve Scalise spoke at white supremacist meeting in 2002

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Senior Republican Steve Scalise spoke at white supremacist meeting in 2002

House majority whip appears to acknowledge he spoke at conference but says he was short-staffed and had no affiliation to group that organised it
teve Scalise says he has no specific memory of addressing the European-American Unity and Rights Organization. Photograph: J Scott Applewhite/Associated Press
The new Republican-controlled Congress risks becoming engulfed in a growing race scandal after it emerged that House majority whip Steve Scalise spoke at a white supremacist conference backed by former Klu Klux Klan leader David Duke.

In his first public comments since the allegations emerged in a blog on Sunday, Scalise appeared to acknowledge on Monday night that he probably attended the 2002 event outside New Orleans, though he insisted he had no specific memory of it and sought to distance himself from the views of those present.

“I didn’t know who all of these groups were and I detest any kind of hate group,” the Louisiana congressman told the Times-Picayune newspaper. “I had one person that was working for me. When someone called and asked me to speak, I would go. I was, in no way, affiliated with that group or the other groups I was talking to,” he added.

Any lingering doubt over Scalise’s links to the conference was further diminished however by Duke, who separately told a Washington Post reporter that the then Louisiana state politician was invited as a speaker by two of his close associates, Howie Farrell and Kenny Knight.

Scalise’s spokeswoman, Moira Bagley, told the Guardian: “We have no reason to believe he was not there. It is 99% likely that he was there, but we have no direct records so cannot confirm for definite.”

The group that organised the conference, called the European-American Unity and Rights Organization (Euro), is ostensibly aimed at promoting the “civil rights” of white Americans but anti-racism campaigners claim it is primarily a vehicle to promote the far-right writings of Duke, a former KKK grand wizard.

The politically toxic link emerges just days before the new Congress is sworn in and was further compounded for Republicans on Monday night by separate news that New York congressman Michael Grimm has decided to resign in the wake of pleading guilty to tax fraud.

Support for Scalise, the third highest-ranking House Republican and one of the most senior conservatives in Washington, was noticeably absent on Monday despite his attempt to distance himself from Duke.

Louisiana governor Bobby Jindall, one of the few non-white figures in the party, backed Scalise in a statement that said he was a “good man who is fair-minded and kind-hearted”, but few of the party’s senior leaders in Washington were yet willing to defend him.

Neither the House speaker, John Boehner, the majority leader, Kevin McCarthy, nor the Republican National Convention responded to requests for comment from the Guardian, and the revelations may put intense pressure on Scalise, who won a fiercely-fought whip election in June as a Tea Party-backed candidate but is often at odds with Republican leadership.

Some experienced figures on the Hill believe he will survive the revelations, however, arguing that an isolated incident six years before joining Congress will not stick without a pattern of similar behaviour.
www.theguardian.com...

klik the link^ for more or watch my lefty video link below.

Before it is said..NO!.. the NAACP is not the equivalent of the European-American Unity and Rights Organization. this guy is majority whip it is therefore not inconceivable if the GOP took the Presidency in 2016 this guy would be a chair or three down from the presidency itself, KKK influence would be a strong presence in the White House ,why do the GOP looked the way it does to most minority folks??..I donno, could be because they continue court and recruit active KKK and New Nazis in their ranks.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Nobody seemed to care that senator Byrd was a clan member. He was in the senate until 2010.
But that was in his past.. Lol

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Always two sides to a story.

Not doubting anything but .....

Reports that Rep. Steve Scalise, the third-ranking Republican in the U.S. House of Representatives, gave a speech to a white nationalist conference connected with David Duke in 2002 are not accurate, the man who organized the events said Wednesday (Dec. 31).

Kenny Knight, a longtime political adviser to Duke, said Scalise spoke at a meeting of the Jefferson Heights Civic Association -- not affiliated with the European-American Unity and Rights conference that was held in the same Metairie hotel -- two-and-a-half hours before the white nationalist event started.

Steve Scalise spoke to civic association meeting, not white nationalist conference, David Duke adviser Kenny Knight says

"David Duke adviser Kenny Knight says"

But But But

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 09:22 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

EErr NOPE He said he spoke at the event David Duke said he spoke at the event and others including the stormfornty guys said he spoke at the event..he did spoke at the event back peddle back peddle.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 10:48 PM
link   
They sure are bound and determined to fire everyone up into a racial tizzy, aren't they? It's now a constant, multifaceted bombardment.

Don't fall for it, folks. Classic strategy on display.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 10:53 PM
link   
not giving thi sguy a free pass at all but......heres my questions

Obama spent at least 7 years an active member of Jeremiah Rights church, an active and outspoken racist minister.....no one bats an eye.....

Obama appoints Al Sharpton , his racial adviser, a man known for making racist and anti-semetic statements.....no one bats an eye......

If were gonna pull them all out and call for them to be removed, lets start with the head of state......

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 11:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask
not giving thi sguy a free pass at all but......heres my questions

Obama spent at least 7 years an active member of Jeremiah Rights church, an active and outspoken racist minister.....no one bats an eye.....

Obama appoints Al Sharpton , his racial adviser, a man known for making racist and anti-semetic statements.....no one bats an eye......

If were gonna pull them all out and call for them to be removed, lets start with the head of state......

You know who also had Anti American sentiments that folks in power prayed with or voted for??
Pat Roberson and Jerry Falwell clergy:

Was 9/11 God's judgment against America? Pat Robertson and the late Jerry Falwell said so. They blamed God's wrath on abortion and promiscuity, and they were promptly skewered by the media—as much for raising the uncomfortable topic of divine judgment as for using the occasion to deplore America's sexual excesses. In God's Judgments: Interpreting History and the Christian Faith (IVP Academic), Steven J. Keillor argues they had the right idea but the wrong reasons. His new book is a sophisticated defense of their theological instincts.

Keillor turns Robertson's and Falwell's snap judgments into a measured meditation on why God judges the nations. His method is as simple as it is provocative. He first sifts through the tragedy of 9/11, looking for evidence of what the United States had done to anger radical Islamists. He then asks if any of these items might also have angered God: economic greed, immoral cultural exports, and "use of terrorist guerilla units against the Soviets" in Afghanistan.

Keillor's conclusion—that God used terrorists to punish us for national sins—is a theological spin on "blowback," a word the political Left popularized during the aftermath of 9/11. Blowback suggests that America, by abusing its power abroad, got what it deserved.

www.christianitytoday.com...

n September 18, 2006, Pastor John Hagee — whose endorsement Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) said this past Sunday he was “glad to have” — told NPR’s Terry Gross that “Hurricane Katrina was, in fact, the judgment of God against the city of New Orleans.” “New Orleans had a level of sin that was offensive to God,” Hagee said, because “there was to be a homosexual parade there on the Monday that the Katrina came.”

thinkprogress.org...

Michele Bachmann: 9/11, Benghazi Were God's 'Judgment,' So We Must Hold Day Of Prayer On Sept. 11

www.huffingtonpost.com...

Non of these folks were censored as far as I am aware but let a Blacklefty clergy who dammed America for it's issues with race and war ( and everyone gets to play a super patriot,
Wright a clergyman was a USMC Vet during Vietnam era lived through Jim Crow etc.
Jeremiah Wright served 3 terms in the Vietnam war he give his life to save America and Neo-cons call him a Anti-American racist while defending hate mongering Religious Right who never served their country.

1.Hate mongering Jerry Falwell never served his country.

2.Hate mongering John Hagee never served his country.

3.Hate mongering Pat Robertson never served his country.

4.Hate mongering Rush Limbaugh never served his country.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Another thread today that makes me go meh..... I don't really know what to think about this. I guess it would depend on what he said at the meeting. If it was just a generic speech. Then who cares. The organization he spoke at is not illegal or anything. A lot of people, including myself, might not like them or agree with them. Its still his right to speak in front of whoever he wants. If people do not like it they can just not vote for him. Problem solved.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 12:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

Thats all great......

Wrights military service doesnt take away the fact that Wright is a racist bigot and the President was an active member of his church....

Your rant still doesnt take away the fact that Obama surrounds himself with people who are racially provocative...

And I dont like Limbaugh either, but hes not a racist.....

Black lefty? Lol no, I have a problem with racists all the way around......

Which is why it erks me when the commander in chief seems to surround himself with people who create more of a divide and nothing is said until some white guy makes a speech in a place he shouldnt have....

Is this guy a racist? I dunno, but I do know the president is consistently doing things one could look at as being racially divisive.....yet wheres the outcry?

You sure are worked up.......Must have hit a nerve.....

have a drink and breathe

And before im called a racist on this thread......just.....dont....its stupid....

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 12:13 AM
link   
newsworthy, teeth gnashing? when it happened 12 years ago perhaps...

Today, not so much, but....

The BS explanation by the guy, that he didn't know?

Yeah right... he knew... even state legislative bodies know those things...

If things were right, he would fall on his sword and abdicate his position in the next Congress..

That those in his party hierarchy are not demanding it, is troubling....

We want integrity from those who represent us, left or right.... seems neither side can claim that...

Damn shame, because it's mostly the fault of the people... the power we were given, that responsibility, to be allowed to be watered down to the complacence and sheep like adherence to a donkey or elephant...

We all bear that shame ...

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 12:19 AM
link   
a reply to: JacKatMtn

I agree, Id like to see him resign as well, should have happend when it came out years ago.....

The recent release seems like more of a play to further the racial tensions.....

The media is doing a great job playing these angels.....

Seems like some are itching to see a race war break out.....

If it does, they will soon wish it hadnt

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 12:29 AM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

They (TPTB) have done a fine job of dividing folks the past few years....

It is part of their plan...

WE NEED TO show THEM, that WE are not as vain, gullible & stupid as THEY THINK we are....

It's up to us.... not on any hope for a change in our leadership...

WE are more than THEY... and WE CAN make a difference...

Clocks ticking, but we still have that chance...

They know it... that's why we are being divided.....

Don't fall for it, take a step back... read, learn, don't let THEM trigger simple emotional reactions to their approved intention to have US at each others' throats...

Don't be afraid.... If anyone should be nervous, it's those pushing this divisive agenda..

The folks aren't as dumb as they think we are....

Guess who fears that?

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 12:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask
a reply to: Spider879

Thats all great......

Wrights military service doesnt take away the fact that Wright is a racist bigot and the President was an active member of his church....

Your rant still doesnt take away the fact that Obama surrounds himself with people who are racially provocative...

And I dont like Limbaugh either, but hes not a racist.....

Black lefty? Lol no, I have a problem with racists all the way around......

Which is why it erks me when the commander in chief seems to surround himself with people who create more of a divide and nothing is said until some white guy makes a speech in a place he shouldnt have....

Is this guy a racist? I dunno, but I do know the president is consistently doing things one could look at as being racially divisive.....yet wheres the outcry?

You sure are worked up.......Must have hit a nerve.....

have a drink and breathe

And before im called a racist on this thread......just.....dont....its stupid....

No nerve hits, and I am surprised that you can't figure out the racist bile dripping from Rush's mike but take issue with Sharpton's so a pox on both their houses, my concern is real and bares watching he hangs out with Klan/New Nazi types to feed his early entry into politics, as a person who views things from a historical context my Spidey senses goes off,for what are the pay back for that support..remember according to sources he is tight with David Duke's political manager..And I never make use of the word racist unless warranted it tends to stifle conversation.
As for Jeremiah Wright I haven't check-out all of his sermons but I do think people are misconstruing his Damn America sermon with being anti-White.

edit on 6-1-2015 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 12:59 AM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

But he did not blow up a church with children in it. And white people attend his church without being killed for it.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 12:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71

If you take a black man and have him speak at the African-American Unity and Rights Organization then he is a hero.
A man who is trying to spread his culture and protect his community a man among men.

If you take a Japanese man and have him speak at the Japanese-American Unity and Rights Organization then he is a hero.
A man who is trying to spread his culture and protect his community a man among men.

If you take a European man and have him speak at the European-American Unity and Rights Organization then he is a Racist.

........lol this world of politically correctness and double standards kills me.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 10:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: sweets777
a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71

If you take a black man and have him speak at the African-American Unity and Rights Organization then he is a hero.

If you take a Japanese man and have him speak at the Japanese-American Unity and Rights Organization then he is a hero.

If you take a European man and have him speak at the European-American Unity and Rights Organization then he is a Racist.

........lol this world of politically correctness and double standards kills me.

False equivalency the founder is a KKK grandpoohbah and a Nazi to boot.
The equivalency would be:
Take a Black man and have him gave a speech to the Black Hebrew Israelite or The New Black Panther Party.
Take a Japanese man and have him give a speech to the Black Dragon society or Zaitokukai .
The fact is there is plenty of non racist European American organization he could have given a keynote address to he choose Klan.
edit on 7-1-2015 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join