It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police union pushes for cop killings to be included in federal hate crimes law

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 08:32 PM
link   
a reply to: jefwane

Sorry for posting the same thing you wrote about but I didn't get to your posting before doing so. It's good to see others get it. I can't wait for the true and just to stand up and take back the country. It's like a circus now and it's very depressing. I guess I'm no better.

I wish I could coordinate something that would make a difference but I'm here ranting about it. I think it's a lack of conviction on my part stemming from the mind numbing stupidity of it all. Is it worthy of saving? Someone stronger than me will do it but it never happens. Are we all in the same trap? What innovative ideas can people do to make a real difference? I don't want to give in or give up.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 08:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: TorqueyThePig

Good move FOP.

If I know FOP, the *actual* intent will be to be able to prosecute any police criticism as a hate crime adder to some mopery-ish charge like threatening, with the "hate crime" adder for killing cops being a nice, but secondary bonus.

eta: It gives one to wonder, as well, if, having been declared a protected group for the purposes of hate crime legislation, if LEOs can simply claim 'intimidation' if you protest against their actions, and charge you with a hate crime on the spot. Or if it converts every resisting charge to a hate crime as well.
edit on 5-1-2015 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 08:45 PM
link   
a reply to: TinfoilTP

I said equal rights was a fallacy...

Not hate crimes.

I get shot and killed for a mobile phone.
A Gay guy gets shot for his lifestyle.

Which would have the harsher punishment?

But we're both dead?

I don't think equal rights exists...

There is something close to equal rights that happens around the world...
But not truly equal.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 09:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: tinner07
Ok I understand where the whole "hate crime" mentality was born.

If you walk down the street and punch somebody in the face for no reason it is assault, if you do it just because said victim is gay or (place anything here) it also becomes a hate crime.

instead of focusing on the victim we should focus on the perpetrator and make a new "you're an a@$hole" crime.

So in court they would be charged with assault and also a charge of "you're an a@#hole" tacked on.

You may be on to something here....

"Would the defendant please rise? You have been charged with two counts of "Aggravated AHole-ery", three counts of "Intent to Be A Douche in the First Degree", and one count of Attempted "Seriously, Dude, Not Cool. Not Cool. At All." How does the defendant wish to plea?"

Back to serious-land... I can kind of see both sides to this argument. A segment of the population does blindly hate Police, as a group, without ANY consideration at all for who the officer is as an individual.

But, even Shamrock, our resident LEO poster** has claimed this is a foolish move. The law is written using language to not expressly grant protected "group" status based solely on profession. And as noted earlier, there is already a distinct separation between criminal charges of old-fashioned "Assault" and "Assaulting an Officer of the Law."

IMO, if successful, this will only further the divide that we desperately need to heal. "Hate crime" is such a redundant phrase as is.

ETA: ONE of our resident LEO posters. My bad.
edit on 152015 by CloudsTasteMetallic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 09:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
What if a shoutout occurs between a gay black transvestite & a female Muslim cop...

& they shoot each other but survive...

Will they both be charged with 3 counts of hate crime each?

I'll be over there>>>>>>>

^best post all day

If the female Muslim cop was a self-identified transgender with an Israeli mother who was born in Mexio, she would win 6-3.

We need to have a scoring system. Give out points for most ways to be offended. It should be a board game.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 09:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Jamie1

Lol.

We need to have a scoring system. Give out points for most ways to be offended. It should be a board game.

No doubt Jamie.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 10:25 PM
link   
two more cops have been shot
7online.com...

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 05:49 AM
link   
a reply to: CloudsTasteMetallic

To be fair, Torquey said much the same as I did.

I see both sides to the argument as well. If you target a cop specifically because they're a cop, maybe it's because you hate cops and no other reason. Sure, I get it. But people have always hated cops. And people choose to be cops. If that door is opened, given the amount of possible collusion in a court house, this would be a very slippery slope to climb.

I'd rather the FOP worry about things like making sure we don't get stuck with 100 work weeks or something (and no, I'm not a member).

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 05:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Stormdancer777
two more cops have been shot
7online.com...

Least this was a fight and not an assassination.

PS - that is an old school freakin firearm

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Yes, i saw that you and Torquey pretty much agreed, which is why I edited my post to reflect that. For some reason, your name sticks out more in my mind when thinking of LEOs amongst the community. Thanks for the unique insight from a perspective of inside enforcement.

Jeez, what was that pistol from your link? Looks like its modeled after an old SA Colt. Almost looks like a el-cheapo .22LR. I guess it would at least be NY SAFE Act compliant since you can't load more than seven...
Y'know, since criminals are so inclined and proven to follow firearm legislation to the exact letter of the law...

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 06:36 PM
link   
a reply to: CloudsTasteMetallic

Probably just because my name is way cooler than his.

Not. Lol

I was thinking the same! I'm glad they read that legislation first and took it under advisement before engaging in nefarious deeds!

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: TorqueyThePig

I agree completely. The killing of one person should not be more or less harshly punished due to race, job, status, etc. Police are no better than any of us, nor are they worse. I think this law is silly and completely unnecessary.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join