It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police union pushes for cop killings to be included in federal hate crimes law

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 06:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
What if a shoutout occurs between a gay black transvestite & a female Muslim cop...

& they shoot each other but survive...

Will they both be charged with 3 counts of hate crime each?

I'll be over there>>>>>>>

The Justice Department will sort that out.

They might need to make some selective prosecution decisions however.

Executive privilege.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 06:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: abe froman

a reply to: xuenchen

WELL?

LOL.

This is a sneak attack...

Go back to the Old West when both the Sheriff & the suspect could be armed & Duel...
Ten Paces & Turn...

"Law" writers changed that...

In what alternate universe did this happen?

I was going to ask the same. Hollywood has wrecked that whole thing too

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 06:52 PM
link   
a reply to: abe froman

I apologise Public opinion changed that not legislation.

Thank you for pushing me to look into it further and reminding me not to assume.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Black agenda pushers don't have a monopoly on hate crime victimization. It can be religious standing that is targeted, political representation that is targeted (abortion great example) so legal authority representation that is targeted with hate crime is no different.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 06:58 PM
link   
a reply to: infinityorder

Thank you.

Although you are right, it's not really a laughing matter.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Isn't assault against a police officer already a higher level felony than assault against anyone else in most states? Equal protection under the law my butt. Those animals are already more equal than us.( Gonna go ahead and say to the blue apologists before they chime in that the last sentence was an Orwell reference not just calling all police animals.)

I will tell you this though, the actions and statements of police labor leaders in New York are rapidly turning my wary ambivalence toward police into a real mistrust of all law enforcement. It's really no surprise to me that so many turned their back on the duly elected mayor of New York ( whose politics i generally detest) they turned their backs on the rest off us long ago.
edit on 5-1-2015 by jefwane because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 07:11 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

It never happened in the first place. Sheriffs and suspects never dueled at ten paces in the old west!

I don't know what to laugh at harder: your unfounded belief that this happened in the first place or your claim that you just looked into it and found that the practice (which never happened in the first place) was ended due to public pressure and not legislation.

Your uh... "debate style" makes me question every word that you say.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Anton-Babinski syndrome

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 07:17 PM
link   
a reply to: jefwane

There is no such thing as equal rights in reality...

It's a pipe dream...
A fallacy...
A buzzword...

& nothing more.

The existence of "hate crimes" are a prime example of that...

What makes a murder, or assault, or any other crime worse because of the addition of hatred?...

That's an honest question to anyone who thinks they have the answer to it.

Maybe additional emotional trauma?
It's possible I guess.

Edit: A true example of a Hate crime is spraying a Swaztika on a Synagogue because that goes way beyond vandalism...

I can understand certain exceptions for the right reasons definitely.
edit on 5-1-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: Stated.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 07:21 PM
link   

en.m.wikipedia.org...

This has a few stories of Sheriffs Dueling...

Maybe you have a more accurate source & can be a teacher instead of trying to demoralise me with your hurtful words.

Also, you should question anything anyone says.... Debate or not!

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Ok I understand where the whole "hate crime" mentality was born.

If you walk down the street and punch somebody in the face for no reason it is assault, if you do it just because said victim is gay or (place anything here) it also becomes a hate crime.

instead of focusing on the victim we should focus on the perpetrator and make a new "you're an a@$hole" crime.

So in court they would be charged with assault and also a charge of "you're an a@#hole" tacked on.

But back to the OP, I think targeting a police officer randomly could be considered a hate crime because it is targeted at a specific group/type of person,but I think crimes against the police already have specific charges. ie: assault on a police officer vs. assault.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 07:34 PM
link   

By the way, I said Dueled...

The Ten Paces addition was my own pop culture humour.

I thought that putting them into seperate sentences would assist in conveying that.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Oh, Ok, now I understand.

That didn't happen either. Gunfights between police and suspects happen to this very day. Shootouts and duels are 2 different things.

edit on 5-1-2015 by abe froman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Drop the hate crime altogether. It's a way to divide. I'm beginning to hate my country. They sound like little crybabies. You can't use failed logic like the rioters are doing and expect a solution. Damn you make me sick to my stomach.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Hate Crime should go out towards ANY group that is identified specifically as the reason for the crime, not just those on race, sexual orientation, or type of uniform.

If someone is targeted because of who they are, then it should be a hate crime.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Never been a big fan of hate crime legislation but i do understand what generated those laws, the failure of the general statute to adequately punish certain heinous crimes with a particularly repugnant motivation, but llike many things legal and political, they have largely been used to stifle thought and speech rather than punish the most heinous offenses.

Most people remember the James Byrd case from texas and how it along with the Mattew Sheppard case led to a new hate crime law. I'd argue that t the existing statute adequately covered those that killed Byrd. Of the three people convicted two were sentenced to death and one to life in prison. Texas has already executed one of those sentenced to die, and The crime happened in 2009.What more does a charge of a hate crime do to punish those that already face the most severe sanction?

Bringing the topic back to the police, would a hate crime law have detered the guy that killed these two NYPD guys? Would it have stopped Chris Dorner? I think The answer It's no. Dorner having been a cop surely knew he was never going to be taken alive even if he surrendered and the guy in New York probably thought so to as he killed himself to rob some other officer of the satisfaction of being the guy that took down a double cop killer. You can only kill a man once, so once someone has decided to go down a path like their's,that surely leads to death,either at The hands of officers or in The state death chamber, how will a hate crime charge deter someone willing to face death?

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 07:53 PM
link   
a reply to: babybunnies

Now ask yourself this question. If hate crime laws are on the books now, does it provide a deterrent for someone committing those crimes? Probably not.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 07:54 PM
link   
It's like two kids fighting.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Orwell was right.....

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 08:30 PM
link   

a reply to: jefwane

There is no such thing as equal rights in reality...

It's a pipe dream...
A fallacy...
A buzzword...

& nothing more.

The existence of "hate crimes" are a prime example of that...

What makes a murder, or assault, or any other crime worse because of the addition of hatred?...

That's an honest question to anyone who thinks they have the answer to it.

Maybe additional emotional trauma?
It's possible I guess.

Edit: A true example of a Hate crime is spraying a Swaztika on a Synagogue because that goes way beyond vandalism...

I can understand certain exceptions for the right reasons definitely.

A hate crime targets someone for what they represent not who they are personally. It legally provides motive where there is no personal connection for a motive to be established in a crime.
It is not a fallacy.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join