It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Urban Outfitters Ordered to Remove Outrageous Thigh Gap Picture on Their UK Website

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 01:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: UKWO1Phot
Is that 1st image from the actual ad?
Only saying as it's a really crappy Photoshop job, look at the pixelation down the legs and colour difference at the top of the thighs.

I think that is the bigger problem. Natural skinny should not be discriminated against. Fake unnatural photo-shopped skinny should be discriminated against. Unless of course that bad photo-shop picture were to somehow gain sentience. Then discriminating against it would be wrong.

edit on 5-1-2015 by karmicecstasy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 01:50 PM
link   
so, are they saying that it`s irresponsible to have a body like that or it`s irresponsible to show a picture of a body like that?
either way it doesn`t make any sense, does it?

if the object in the picture can`t be deemed as irresponsible than how the picture itself be deemed as irresponsible?
That's a real person and that's just the way they look, how can that be deemed to be irresponsible?
if that`s the way that god made her to look then I guess god is irresponsible.
is the ASA saying that god is irresponsible?
it takes some pretty big balls to put yourself above god.

Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Tardacus
It's a real person , but the legs have been photoshopped to make them look more skinny. A fake image of a real person. Is it promoting an unattainable and unhealthy image to impressionable young girls

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 01:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tardacus

You would be right. IF, God was now using Photo-shop to design people.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tardacus
so, are they saying that it`s irresponsible to have a body like that or it`s irresponsible to show a picture of a body like that?
either way it doesn`t make any sense, does it?

if the object in the picture can`t be deemed as irresponsible than how the picture itself be deemed as irresponsible?
That's a real person and that's just the way they look, how can that be deemed to be irresponsible?

The theory goes like this:

It's irresponsible to show skinny girls in ads because women will see this, and unable to protect themselves from media brainwashing, will desire to be skinny like the girl in the ad.

Continuing on with the theory....

Some of these women will see the ad and want so much to be skinny that they will become anorexic, or maybe just feel bad about themselves because they're fat, and the girl in the underwear ad was skinny and had a gap between her thighs.

So the solution is to remove the photo, and force Google to remove Urban Outfitters from their search results so that young women aren't harmed by seeing a photo of a skinny girl.

So now Urban Outfitters has changed the photo, and instead of 28 girls finding the photo because they typed "urban outfitters underwear" into Google, millions of girls will see the photo because the story is on the front page of many major media sites.

Don't you feel more protected now?

(I wonder if skinny girls are offended and harmed seeing that the government doesn't want other girls to desire to look like them?)

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Jamie1

There are many things which affect our children massively and what they see all day is one of those things. There was a time when we were decent enough to care how the kids are affected by our own desires and YES there were laws to protect them. There are still laws such as men exposing themselves to kids is not just his choice.
Personally I don't mind controls on things that help our kids be more healthy.

HOW MANY PEOPLE HAVE EATING DISORDERS?
27% of girls 12-18 have significant symptoms

These things were not happening before we made a trend of showing starved people who look very like the starving in africa and made it popular in ads.
www.eatingdisorderfoundation.org...

Those who suffer from Anorexia Nervosa restrict their caloric intake for long periods of time and deliberately starve themselves. Weight loss is achieved by avoiding food, frenzied exercise, vomiting, laxatives and other means. An intense fear of becoming obese as well as a distorted body image are other characteristics.
Bulimia is associated with binge-eating and purging. Purging can be in the form of fasting, self-induced vomiting, excessive exercising or use of diuretics.
Anorexia and Bulim

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I agree with this ban.

Oh, I know people rant and rave about how they think it’s draconian for the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) to put in a ban, but girls and young women can be impressionable and advertising with skinny models – including photo-shopping to make models look even thinner, sends the wrong message.

This is the ruling. Very sensible.

The ASA considered that the model was very thin, and noted, in particular, that there was a significant gap between the model's thighs, and that her thighs and knees were a similar width. We considered that the model looked underweight in the picture. We understood that Urban Outfitters' target market was young people and considered that using a noticeably underweight model was likely to impress upon that audience that the image was representative of the people who might wear Urban Outfitters' clothing, and as being something to aspire to. We therefore concluded that the ad was irresponsible.

Source ASA website

Regards

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 02:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: woodwardjnr
a reply to: Tardacus
It's a real person , but the legs have been photoshopped to make them look more skinny. A fake image of a real person. Is it promoting an unattainable and unhealthy image to impressionable young girls

So I guess bra ads shouldn't show women with large breasts because young girls with small breasts can only attain large breast by getting breast implants?

And that being thin has suddenly become "unhealthy?" According to whom?

One of my best friends is a bikini model with a thigh gap, and she is one of the healthiest people I know.

Are you labeling all skinny people as unhealthy role models?

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 02:11 PM
link   

You could argue it's false advertising, selling an unattainable and dangerous image to their target audience of impressionable young girls. No the government shouldn't get involved, but there should be some code of conduct by those selling the products. The asa acts as an enforcer of a code of conduct.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 02:13 PM
link   
What is wrong with you people?

Racism isn't real. Sexism isn't real.

It's like this site has become a lowest common denominator cesspool of ignorance and hatred.

Shame on you.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Jamie1 No Jamie I'm arguing that photoshopped images of an unhealthy ideal is not good, I know your not too bothered with doctored images of women

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 02:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Here ya go!

www.refinery29.com...

Oh my god, no wonder this was removed. No woman should be that skinny.

Good to see this kind of stuff being regulated. Im serious.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Char-Lee

There are many things which affect our children massively and what they see all day is one of those things. There was a time when we were decent enough to care how the kids are affected by our own desires and YES there were laws to protect them. There are still laws such as men exposing themselves to kids is not just his choice.

These things were not happening before we made a trend of showing starved people who look very like the starving in africa and made it popular in ads.

Those who suffer from Anorexia Nervosa restrict their caloric intake for long periods of time and deliberately starve themselves. Weight loss is achieved by avoiding food, frenzied exercise, vomiting, laxatives and other means. An intense fear of becoming obese as well as a distorted body image are other characteristics.
Bulimia is associated with binge-eating and purging. Purging can be in the form of fasting, self-induced vomiting, excessive exercising or use of diuretics.
Anorexia and Bulim

Your presupposition that "skinny" is bad or unhealthy, and that seeing "skinny" women will cause a girl to have an eating disorder.

And you're claiming that somehow the media is responsible by showing skinny women.

Then why is obesity at an all time high? Why is the government forcing school lunch diet plans and banning large sodas AND banning photos of skinny girls?

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 02:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi
I agree with this ban.

Oh, I know people rant and rave about how they think it’s draconian for the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) to put in a ban, but girls and young women can be impressionable and advertising with skinny models – including photo-shopping to make models look even thinner, sends the wrong message.

This is the ruling. Very sensible.

The ASA considered that the model was very thin, and noted, in particular, that there was a significant gap between the model's thighs, and that her thighs and knees were a similar width. We considered that the model looked underweight in the picture. We understood that Urban Outfitters' target market was young people and considered that using a noticeably underweight model was likely to impress upon that audience that the image was representative of the people who might wear Urban Outfitters' clothing, and as being something to aspire to. We therefore concluded that the ad was irresponsible.

Source ASA website

Regards

So you're all for discriminating against girls being perceived as underweight being allowed to earn money modeling?

It's not only draconian, it's discriminatory, and degrading having body police judging women's body's and giving their approval over what's appropriate.

Oh yeah.... and for sure this ad being pulled is going to make a difference.

Are there any facts to back up this theory of thigh gap induced anorexia, or is this just a theory?

Do you think rap music promoting gun violence should also be banned too?

How about books? Catcher in the Rye could be a problem.

Or movies. OMG. How can we forget about movies. We will need to have thigh gap censors on set so teenage girls don't see improperly sized thigh gaps in any scenes.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: woodwardjnr
a reply to: Jamie1 No Jamie I'm arguing that photoshopped images of an unhealthy ideal is not good, I know your not too bothered with doctored images of women

Do you have any data reflecting supporting the opinion that being thin is unhealthy?

Or that seeing images of thin women causes girls causes eating disorders?

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 02:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jamie1So you're all for discriminating against girls being perceived as underweight being allowed to earn money modeling?

It's not only draconian, it's discriminatory, and degrading having body police judging women's body's and giving their approval over what's appropriate.

Oh yeah.... and for sure this ad being pulled is going to make a difference.

Are there any facts to back up this theory of thigh gap induced anorexia, or is this just a theory?

Do you think rap music promoting gun violence should also be banned too?

How about books? Catcher in the Rye could be a problem.

Or movies. OMG. How can we forget about movies. We will need to have thigh gap censors on set so teenage girls don't see improperly sized thigh gaps in any scenes.

This can't possibly be your opinion.

Why are you against protecting children from promotion of unattainable physical characteristics with doctored images?

It's flabbergasting.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 02:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jamie1
So you're all for discriminating against girls being perceived as underweight being allowed to earn money modeling?

No I'm not.

I am agreeing with the ASA's ruling that the advert was inappropriate for the target audience as the model was "noticably underweight". You probably don't know anyone who has been felt she was worthless because her body shape was never going to be "perfect" i.e. thin. It's a serious issue and not to be so casually brushed off.

Regards
edit on 5/1/2015 by paraphi because: typo

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 02:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jamie1

originally posted by: Char-Lee

Anorexia and Bulim

Your presupposition that "skinny" is bad or unhealthy, and that seeing "skinny" women will cause a girl to have an eating disorder.

And you're claiming that somehow the media is responsible by showing skinny women.

Then why is obesity at an all time high? Why is the government forcing school lunch diet plans and banning large sodas AND banning photos of skinny girls?

There are a zillion studies on the subject and it is clear.
[url=http://scholar.google.com/scholar?

The numbers and charts here show it does go just one way.
www.plosone.org...-0086302-g005

Paired-sample t-tests revealed that women preferred a lower BMI in attractive than healthy trials when exposed to light weight attractive (t9 = 3.94; p = .003, d = .92) and light weight less attractive (t11 = 4.06; t = .002, d = .42) but not plus size attractive (t14 = .52; p = .610, d = .11) or plus size less attractive (t11 = .28; p = .783, d = .051) model images.

An increasing number of studies shows that exposure to thin as ideal bodies in the media has negative effects on young women's body images
Read More: guilfordjournals.com...

See scholarly studies listed under google search
does advertising thin affect childrens body image?
edit on 5-1-2015 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I know your avatar is not you or any of your other previous incarnations. Your clearly a fan of false advertising and misleading images
edit on 5-1-2015 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Depends how what you mean by "thin"

Underweight adults

Being underweight can damage your health. Weighing too little can contribute to a weakened immune system, fragile bones and feeling tired.

Underweight

Underweight is a term describing a human whose body weight is considered too low to be healthy

Obviously due to the vast, and I really mean vast differences in genetics between people there are always exception to a rule, but yeah generaly being really skinny and underweight is not a good thing.
edit on 5-1-2015 by Dabrazzo because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join