It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mayan Civilization

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Would anybody like to discuss the Mayan civilizations?

I would like to get certain knowledge pertaining to people's thoughts relating to Dire_Gnosis. The end of the Mayan Calender which dates according to skeptics December 21 2021. THE SUPPOSED END OF THE WORLD.

Are there people whom agree with this hypothesis if so please reply.

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Its not the end of the world, just the end of the world as we know it. Get ready for the coming of a new age.

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Personally I don't think of this date as being the 'end of the world' but is more related to either a change in our spiritual beings or the beginning of a new cycle for our planet.
The Mayans were a very interesting group of people. Here's some links for you too!
www.ufoarea.com...
www.samford.edu...
www.ambergriscaye.com...
www.crystalinks.com...
www.lamanai.com...

Photos of Lamanai
www.travelserver.net... avelpage%2Faspgallery%2Fview%5Fuser%5Fads%2Easp%3FUser%5FID%3D29%26Ad%5FID%3D272

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Well, I just got back from Belize, Guatemala, and southern Mexico; and did a bunch of Mayan ruins. Now I'm not an archaeologist or a paleo-anthropologist by any means, although I have read the Popul Vuh and some other books.

The Mayans were pretty good timekeepers, and their long-calendar budsiness with the epicycles was pretty cool too. But they didn't foresee the future, and I think the predictions about the end of the world or any other paradigm shift on December 22, 2012 is completely without foundation.

I have access to an atomic clock which is a thousand times more accurate then their calendar, and that doesn't mean that I have any valid predictions for the future, right?

The only think of importance I can see happening on that date will be my 68th birthday, and the only people it will really have any significance for is my family.

BTW, here're some Mayan ruin photos, if you're interested:

members7.clubphoto.com...

The albums are "VAC2004 XUNANTUNICH" and "VAC2004 CAHAL PECH"

[edit on 14-12-2004 by Off_The_Street]

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 10:06 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lanshayol
The end of the Mayan Calender which dates according to skeptics December 21 2021. THE SUPPOSED END OF THE WORLD.

I just think they ran out of stones to chip the dates on. You can only do so much with a temple and still have room for sacrificial altars.

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 09:01 PM
link   
I have heard people say they the human race is supposed to ascend to some new dimension or something?

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 09:09 PM
link   
One of my former archaeology profs was an expert on Mayan culture, and was particularly involved in excavations in Belize. She always got a kick out of people asking her about Mayan prophecies and astrology. The Mayans were great at tracking the motion of the cosmos, but their astrological predictions mean about as much as modern ones do. Great liner for a birdcage but not much else

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 10:42 PM
link   
i'll admit that i'm not exactly sure about the theories behind the mayan calander and the whole 2012 theory, but it seems a bit hasty to just throw out the idea that the calander might be correct.

I have also heard that the I Ching, the ancient chinese calander, expires in 2012 too. strikes me as a very odd connection...

also, while we do have an atomic clock that can tell time amazingly well, it's important to remember the mayans were able to create an accurate calander using only their eyes to watch the stars. It's not like these people had no idea what they were doing. This doesn't mean that we are right about hte world ending in 2012, but it certainly does give weight to the situation.

as a sidenote, i've heard another theory that 2012 is the year that the universe will impode, leading to another Big Bang. any thoughts?

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 10:59 PM
link   
The Mayan calendar worked in cycles. In 2012, that is the end of the current Great Cycle we are in....

Then another one begins.....

Simple as that...

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 11:00 PM
link   

The Mayan calendar worked in cycles. In 2012, that is the end of the current Great Cycle we are in....

i honestly dont know this. when was the last cycle over? is this the first cycle to end, or has there been one every 500 years or so?

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Its about every 27,000 years for a Great Cycle..

This has been discussed on many threads before though...

Mayan Calendar Stuff

[edit on 14/12/04 by stumason]

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by maegman
also, while we do have an atomic clock that can tell time amazingly well, it's important to remember the mayans were able to create an accurate calendar using only their eyes to watch the stars. It's not like these people had no idea what they were doing. This doesn't mean that we are right about hte world ending in 2012, but it certainly does give weight to the situation.

Right, they were great at making calendars based off of stellar observation. Why does it logically follow that they could predict the future? We can make calendars that way too -- it's not a lost art. We've simply developed better ways which require a more innate understanding of the universe (like, say, measuring the isotropic decay of radioactive elements).

Astrology is astrology, no matter the culture. It doesn't matter how accurate the measurements are, because the entire premise is flawed. I used to have a chart (courtesy of that same archaeology professor) which detailed the Mayan "prophecies" like a scorecard. Their track record was just about consistent with random guessing.

as a sidenote, i've heard another theory that 2012 is the year that the universe will impode, leading to another Big Bang. any thoughts?

Well, it's certainly possible that the universe will implode at some point, and that another Big Bang will follow it. There are currently theories that this has already happened once (or more). There's no scientific evidence to support this happening until eons after the solar system is dead and gone, though. Unless you're planning on living about 15 billion years, you'll just have to sit it out!

edit to fix some dumb spelling mistakes, I need sleep

[edit on 15-12-2004 by Yorick]

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lanshayol
Would anybody like to discuss the Mayan civilizations?

I would like to get certain knowledge pertaining to people's thoughts relating to Dire_Gnosis. The end of the Mayan Calender which dates according to skeptics December 21 2021. THE SUPPOSED END OF THE WORLD.

Are there people whom agree with this hypothesis if so please reply.

Could well be. I've always thought the the end of the world would happen through another world war, but that could just be me!

new topics

top topics

join