It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Climbs 1,500 Foot Tower to Change a Lightbulb

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 05:21 PM
link   
This guy is nuts! I wonder how much he pays for life insurance? You couldn't get me to do that unless there was a big enough pile of money able to break my fall at the bottom. Even then I would probably wuss out.

"How was work today honey?" "Oh, it had it's ups and downs."

Wouldn't it be awesome if there was a big fireman's pole you could just slide all the way down on? Your pants might catch on fire before you hit the bottom from all the friction, lol.

The video was captured by Prairie Aerial videography, based in Sioux Falls, with a Quadrocopter drone.

Watch at your own risk...

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 05:29 PM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis

Not on my best day. Yikes that gives me the creeps.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 05:37 PM
link   

My ex-girlfriends brother does this for a living ( this is not him in the video ). As I understand it there are only a few people in the entire country licensed and bonded to make such climbs. I know the ex's brother was called all over the world to work on the tall towers.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Reminds me of this guy. I don't think he has any fall arrest gear.
Yahoo Video

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 05:43 PM
link   

That made me sick to my stomach.... Uhhhh guys.. I ..I

That is very intense, I get sick to my tummy on a 20' ladder

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Looks like a good time!!!

Maybe this will be what I get certified for next

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 05:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: lonegurkha

Yup. I can do mountains, but this! How about lunch or bathroom breaks?

What if you get a case of the ole tummy rumblers?

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 05:58 PM
link   
No, I won't watch that video. No way.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Read the title..had to check to see if it should be posted in the jokes forum. lol!

You know..."How many idiots does it take to change a light bulb 1500 feet in the air?"

Apparently just one brave soul..

edit on 1/4/2015 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 06:18 PM
link   
I would love that job!

My wife would hate me for it.....

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 06:19 PM
link   
NOPE! Nope, nope, nope, nope
nope, nope, nope, nope, NOPE!!!

Did I mention NOPE?!?

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 06:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: eisegesis

originally posted by: lonegurkha

Yup. I can do mountains, but this! How about lunch or bathroom breaks?

What if you get a case of the ole tummy rumblers?

Adult diapers.
I would need them just to look out of a window that high.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

Check it out...

Interview with a Tower Climber

One of the more interesting things for most tower climbers is when they do a really high re-lamp, because most of them are at night, and the broadcast towers could be 1,000 or 1,500-foot tall. They take the station off the air at one or two a.m. and you’re climbing in the wee hours of the morning changing the bulbs…the view is really good.

In the dark?

NEVER.

I would dread the cold weather. Being up on a tower in the cold and knowing the night before that it was going to be 20 degrees the next day, and there’s still no way you’re out of it, the only way through it was to finish it, and you know you’re going to be up there for eight or nine hours. The cold is the thing that I like the least. I think almost every tower guy will tell you that. If you go up a tower and you’re climbing 400 feet, you’re not coming down to get a cup of coffee, you’re not coming down to warm your hands, you’re not coming down for a lunch break. When you go up the tower you’re going to be there all day, it’s kind of like being like a mountain climber.

Damn, eight hours on one tower? I see they still failed to mention anything about bathroom breaks. And their average salary?

Depending upon how much you work and what company you’re with the pay can range from $32,000 to $50,000 per year. They don’t make as much as you’d think. When I first started I thought, “I know these guys are making $50 an hour,” but it’s not true.

A rare moment that I get to speak for thousands and say...

edit on 4-1-2015 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 06:27 PM
link   
This was actually pretty easy to watch .. not like the dude filming first person view style climbing a tower

www.youtube.com...

this one creeps me out

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 06:32 PM
link   
If you havn't seen this yet, grab the waste pail and put on your seatbelt!

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 06:55 PM
link   

I think they get paid between 30,000 - 60,000 per year depending on the company they work for. I would think if you're an extreme sports fanatic, mountain climber, dare devil or just love heights, this would be the ideal job for you. As for me, I prefer my feet on the ground. I would probably be frozen to the tower from extreme fright and they would have to use the jaws of life to pry me off the tower.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 06:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: eisegesis
If you havn't seen this yet, grab the waste pail and put on your seatbelt!

You're a good person, but I have to respectfully leave this thread now. I am SEVERELY acrophobic. Gravity is my friend and I dont like pissing it off.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Good thing he has a hard hat on I case anything goes wrong.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Oh hell no!

Just watching both those videos gave me the heebie jeebies!

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Actually this type of job is not as terrifying as you may expect .While climbing or working at heights the tower around you and the job in hand become your own little world , i hope that makes sense . The physical side of a climb like this is a whole different matter . Until you become used to climbing you will find that you have muscles that you never even suspected existed . The towers i climbed were only a fraction of this one with the highest topping out at a little over 300 feet . But like we used to say , anything over 50 foot and the results the same . Just dont do what i did my very first climb . There was one light out and i took one globe to replace it . Yes you guessed it ,i broke it .

top topics

<<   2 >>

join