It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Solar System Set For Eventual Collision With Stellar Orange Dwarf

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 02:27 PM
link   
www.forbes.com...

A local orange dwarf star has a 90 percent probability of passing within the orbit of our outer solar system’s Oort Cloud between 240,000 and 470,000 years from now, says the author of a new study detailing the computer-modeled orbits of more than 50,000 nearby stars.

In a paper just accepted for publication in the journal Astronomy & Astrophysics, Coryn Bailer-Jones, an astrophysicist at Germany’s Max Planck Institute for Astronomy in Heidelberg, and the paper’s sole author, found that of 14 stars coming within 3 light years of Earth, the closest encounter is likely to be HIP 85605, which now lies some 16 light years away in the constellation of Hercules.

Perhaps "collision" is not the most precise term for this then, but it would stil be one hell of an event!

I guess the peeps here have been too busy with the winter festivities and missed this breaking news, as I was wondering why there's nothing about it on ATS.

Universe Today article: www.universetoday.com...

Cue all the cries about Nibiru / Nemesis / Hercolobus.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I'll make sure I watch for that when it happens. I need to make a different kind of calender to mark it on.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: wildespace

Good, now interstellar travel can be possible in another 200,000 plus years.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: wildespace

i would love to see something like this happen,

kinda like watching the world explode, it would be like WOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!! then puff gone,

i wonder if this is what the Mayans said about 2012,

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 02:47 PM
link   
for the record Sol is an orange dwarf too. so... Aliens!

Also if something goes through the Oort Cloud that means lots of Oort cloud objects will get launched in our general direction. not all fun and games...

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Just gotta figure out a way to slow down and reverse aging! Easy.

And of course trying not to walk off of cliffs, and stuff.

edit on 1 4 2015 by Son of Will because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Huh, as mentioned (and starred) that would displace a slew of Oort objects and likely cause quite the bombardment of inner system bodies... including us, if still around.

Any mention of the last pass by... if any? Periodicity?

ETA oh, nvrmnd... read it and it's interesting that the one used up stellar remnant passed some 15,000 years ago... hmmm... we've had some other passers by, too... the more you know, the more it becomes obvious the Universe is out to get us! ; ]
edit on 1/4/2015 by Baddogma because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 03:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormbringer1701

Also if something goes through the Oort Cloud that means lots of Oort cloud objects will get launched in our general direction. not all fun and games...

The Sun is a yellow dwarf, actually. en.wikipedia.org...

The Sun is a G-type main-sequence star (G2V) based on spectral class and it is informally designated as a yellow dwarf because its visible radiation is most intense in the yellow-green portion of the spectrum.

But yeah, that star may fling some comets our way, although it would take them another hundreds of thousands of years to get here.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 03:28 PM
link   
my interrest is now wat stars has passed us in the past...and wat effects it had then....
surely they can calculate that events?
edit on 4-1-2015 by ressiv because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-1-2015 by ressiv because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Thanks for the heads up! 240,000 - 470,000 years... I better plan on dying before then, oh wait a second, I will be dead. Never mind.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 06:04 PM
link   
When we as a species realise how insignificant the brief existence of our solar system is in the vastness of the universe we shall be kinder to each other for no other reason than we accept our insignifigance. Sadly we are not so advanced.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 06:17 PM
link   
we'll be long gone and far away by then
galaxies collide too but doesnt happen overnight
edit on 4-1-2015 by blacktie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 06:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Son of Will

I watched about two thirds of that video. He has some good thoughts about this but I do not think it will work on me. I don't have enough money or insurance that would pay for that kind of stuff. I

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 07:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: wildespace

originally posted by: stormbringer1701

The Sun is a yellow dwarf, actually. en.wikipedia.org...

The Sun is a G-type main-sequence star (G2V) based on spectral class and it is informally designated as a yellow dwarf because its visible radiation is most intense in the yellow-green portion of the spectrum.

But yeah, that star may fling some comets our way, although it would take them another hundreds of thousands of years to get here.
That's yellow orange to you mister!

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Saw this article a couple of days ago. Thought it would be picked up quickly and posted here on ATS. Surprised that it's just now being done.

Very interesting article. Though if they're talking about 200K plus years, I don't really see a rush to run out and grab the milk and bread (as most panicked people do).

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 07:07 PM
link   
I better start saving up for that cave in the mountains....again....thanks!

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 07:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: HumansEh
When we as a species realise how insignificant the brief existence of our solar system is in the vastness of the universe we shall be kinder to each other for no other reason than we accept our insignifigance. Sadly we are not so advanced.
It's not that brief...in round numbers let's call the life of our solar system 10 billion years (5 down and 5 to go). The universe is only 13.8 billion years old, so 10 billion years isn't that insignificant compared to 13.8 billion. I wouldn't even say 5 billion years is insignificant. Now size-wise, yes we are just a speck.

The good news is there's a 10% chance it will miss so I'm not going to get too nervous just yet! Hopefully our great-great.....grandkids will have settled other worlds by then so a catastrophe on Earth wouldn't wipe out all humans.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 08:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: noeltrotsky
I better start saving up for that cave in the mountains....again....thanks!

Well, $1.00 at 2% interest compounded annually for 300,000 years is
$1.126 x 10^2580
so you could build your bunker out of cash. Actually, you could fill the entire observable universe many, many times with that much cash. How 'bout just using a stellar-mass ball of bills to gravitationally deflect the incoming star?

edit on 4-1-2015 by Saint Exupery because: typsetting

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: stormbringer1701

An object of that mass would likely draw them into towards itself no?

AS it sits the objects of the Oort cloud are suspended in distant orbit around our sun. An event horizon so to speak... The passing large mass object would perturb that gravitational field drawing objects towards it, not us.

How ever, if that object has a similar cloud surrounding it's gravitational influence we would likely perturb and steal some of it's distant orbital bodies. Those would be the objects to concern me, I think.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 09:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hijinx
a reply to: stormbringer1701

An object of that mass would likely draw them into towards itself no?

AS it sits the objects of the Oort cloud are suspended in distant orbit around our sun. An event horizon so to speak... The passing large mass object would perturb that gravitational field drawing objects towards it, not us.

How ever, if that object has a similar cloud surrounding it's gravitational influence we would likely perturb and steal some of it's distant orbital bodies. Those would be the objects to concern me, I think.

it depends on the the positions and trajectories of each object with that of the passing star. some will be flung away. some will be devoured, some will be sent towards us. It is already accepted that past encounters of this type resulted in late period bombardments of earth and other planets. in fact we have this to thank for all valuable heavy elements that are near enough the surface of earth to be retrievable. the stuff that was original to earth sunk into the core while earth was still molten. additionally science believes that such late bombardments have destroyed earths atmosphere twice in primordial times.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join