It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smithsonian secrets?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I just read a recent thead about some potential coverups from the smithsonian museum regarding different locations containing out of place artifacts, and it got me thinking sbout all the juicy bits and bobs they have stored away down in the basements and in secure storage.

Is there no way for the american public to apply for a warrent to search what they have as the info they hold surley belongs to them, being a brit i would love to go hopp over the pond just to rummage around in there draws.

edit on 4-1-2015 by Lompyt because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 01:50 PM
link   
When I saw that the Smithsonian apparently has the power to "classify" historical
information, it was like a double face palm.

I fail to understand under what logic the Smithsonian should have the right to
keep anything historical, especially archaeological information "Secret" from the
American people.

JFK argued against unreasonable secrecy in Government, it is probably what got
him killed by Bush and LBJ.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: SubSea

I think that is disgusting.

Your right what right or reason do they have?

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Lompyt

I don't know what you're talking about...

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Smithsonian releases massive digitized collection of Asian treasures for public use

The Smithsonian Institution has released more than 44,000 images of precious artworks and artifacts from two of their museums of Asian art, many of which have never been shown publicly before. The galleries are the first Smithsonian museums and first Asian art museums to digitize and share their collections on the internet.

Source

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Thank you for the link, but id like to see what they in the deepest part of there stores. They gotta have some propper juicy stuff hidden away.a reply to: hurdygurdy

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Believe me virtually all the big museums around the world do this, whether intentional or un-intentional.The directors choose what or what not to show, the rest are stored away from sight.
The main reason they give is that there is not enough space to display all their artefacts. The biggest and best get out answer but in doing that you only get to see what the director wants you to see.
They work on the premise of keeping the main stream archaeologists, and their theories of how civilization evolved, happy. Don't rock the boat.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 02:18 PM
link   

It would be nice if you could provide a link to the thread you are referring to so we can all join in the discussion knowing what you are talking about.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Can u not apply for a freedom of information whatsit? Get them to open up there doors for a few experts to a look?

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 02:25 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I can bet the 'hidden' stuff is most likely hidden for political reasons, IE, Egyptian or even Chinese artefacts.
It was once a privately own collection and given to the government, back when it was first opened archaeology was a rich mans hobby, and most likely had many spoils and in today's world would never have been taken from the country or origin, like Ivory or something.

On top of that, these hidden treasures could be something like the U.S military has.
This spectacular museum that not many people know about. And most of it cannot be accessed by civilians without permission.

Military museum.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 02:45 PM
link   

No you can't. As a trust instrumentality of the USA. ..they are not subject to the freedom of information act.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 02:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp
I can bet the 'hidden' stuff is most likely hidden for political reasons, IE, Egyptian or even Chinese artefacts.
It was once a privately own collection and given to the government, back when it was first opened archaeology was a rich mans hobby, and most likely had many spoils and in today's world would never have been taken from the country or origin, like Ivory or something.

On top of that, these hidden treasures could be something like the U.S military has.
This spectacular museum that not many people know about. And most of it cannot be accessed by civilians without permission.

Military museum.
The eyes in that painting of the 2000 yard stair is just haunting, why do they have to hide it all away. The knowledge that the world is missing out on allmost brings a tear to my eye.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 02:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: SubSea
When I saw that the Smithsonian apparently has the power to "classify" historical
information, it was like a double face palm.

I fail to understand under what logic the Smithsonian should have the right to
keep anything historical, especially archaeological information "Secret" from the
American people.

JFK argued against unreasonable secrecy in Government, it is probably what got
him killed by Bush and LBJ.

"Classify" doesn't necessarily mean 'secret'.

classify

clas·si·fy
ˈklasəˌfī/Submit
verb
arrange (a group of people or things) in classes or categories according to shared qualities or characteristics.
"mountain peaks are classified according to their shape"

Do you have a link to what you saw, for context?
edit on 4-1-2015 by DenyObfuscation because: add "necessarily"

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Is there no way for the american public to apply for a warrent to search what they have as the info they hold surley belongs to them...

A warrant probably isn't necessary. A submarine would probably help though. Since they have been accused more than once of dumping inconvenient artifacts in the ocean.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 09:45 PM
link   
One of my favorite stories about Smithsonian cover-ups is the supposed 1909 discovery of ancient Egyptian artifacts in the Grand Canyon.

It would seem that two Smithsonian-funded archaeologists announced the find to the Arizona Gazette newspaper but nobody ever followed up on it. It's still a mystery to this day.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 03:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lompyt
Can u not apply for a freedom of information whatsit? Get them to open up there doors for a few experts to a look?

How would that get you in there? Scholars can get access through proper channels.

top topics

join