It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheist organisation demands apology after University chancellor sends out video about importance of

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Ok, I watched the video.

Pretty damned insulting to atheists.

Definitely not benign, just because it's incased in the clever packaging of comments from a Chinese Marxist.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 07:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Tangerine

I don't care about what some fringe Web site says, my experience in a church on every corner town has been a very laid back welcoming group of people.

Even to my heathen wife and her heretic husband...

If your judging the Midwest by websites, I suggest you log off and go meet people.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 07:47 PM
link   
a reply to: CB328

Religion is important for Democracy...

1. It keeps a large portion of the sheep in line (control)
2. The government has already been caught colluding with priests/ministers to work with the gov't if there is ever martial law (more control)

There are many other aspects to why it's important, but those are the two most important - control and more control.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 08:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal
a reply to: CB328

Isn't that against the ideas of the Founding Fathers? to advocate religion in politics? Now I don't mind freedom of religion but to bring religion to politics your gonna have a theocracy just like what Taliban ruled Afghanistan have.

No, it's not.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 08:06 PM
link   
What a load of propaganda. First, democracy doesn't work. That is why the constitution guarantees every citizen a Republic. Second, Religion plays little role in Americans "voluntarily" obeying the law. We obey it, because we don't want to be fined, go to jail, or worse, get murdered by a trigger happy cop.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 08:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified
What a load of propaganda. First, democracy doesn't work. That is why the constitution guarantees every citizen a Republic. Second, Religion plays little role in Americans "voluntarily" obeying the law. We obey it, because we don't want to be fined, go to jail, or worse, get murdered by a trigger happy cop.

Yeah, when I finally stepped completely out of the "God Box", I felt more responsible for myself, for my actions, etc --- not the other way around.

Logic --- cause and effect. No excuses, nothing outside myself.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 08:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Yeah, when I finally stepped completely out of the "God Box", I felt more responsible for myself, for my actions, etc --- not the other way around. Logic --- cause and effect. No excuses, nothing outside myself.

Amen.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 08:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee
Ok, I watched the video.

Definitely not benign, just because it's incased in the clever packaging of comments from a Chinese Marxist.

What was insulting to atheists? That he said atheism didn't play a role in democracy working?

I would love to understand this better.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 09:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Jamie1
The man implied, as well as the disappearing churches in the background, that god and religion were the cause for a law abiding citizenry. Bollocks! I am an atheist, and "god" has nothing to do with why I abide by the law. I abide by it because in addition to the above, it's the right thing to do most of the time. It's how a society works and lives together.

edit on 1/4/2015 by Klassified because: add

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 09:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jamie1

originally posted by: Annee
Ok, I watched the video.

What was insulting to atheists? That he said atheism didn't play a role in democracy working?

I would love to understand this better.

I researched him. He's Mormon. I was Mormon for 5 years. I have great respect for Mormons as people, their work ethic, and strong support of education.

I do think he was in his "brain head" and had no real intention to slight those who do not credit God for how some things evolve. Will wait to see of he apologizes.

The letter from American Atheists is precisely worded. They say it best.

Clay Christensen: en.m.wikipedia.org...

American Atheists: atheists.org...

edit on 4-1-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 09:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified
a reply to: Jamie1
am an atheist, and "god" has nothing to do with why I abide by the law. I abide by it because in addition to the above, it's the right thing to do most of the time. It's how a society works and lives together.

Yes, I actually found atheism very enlightening. It was like a weight lifted off me that I did not have to be responsible or accommodating to some invisible force. Just me.

It was like being freed. I was totally and completely 100% responsible for all I did.

It actually made me more aware of how things work together.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join