It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheist organisation demands apology after University chancellor sends out video about importance of

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 04:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: JDmOKI
a reply to: HumansEh

I can't say for sure but I can safely say that I think Christians vote far more than Atheists. In my opinion, I believe atheists are a little more pessimistic about voting and tend to boycott the process.

Yes, you may be right.
maybe because Atheists see through lies and deceitful constructs and choose not to compromise their values by voting for liars and power crazed fools.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 04:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: CB328 When you look at all the immoral things done by christians such as bombing, torturing, poisoning, and our inhuman corporate crime system that makes people miserable around the world, how can christians have any claim to morality at all?

Please explain to me what any of this tripe has to do with Christianity?

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 05:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: defcon5

originally posted by: CB328 When you look at all the immoral things done by christians such as bombing, torturing, poisoning, and our inhuman corporate crime system that makes people miserable around the world, how can christians have any claim to morality at all?

Please explain to me what any of this tripe has to do with Christianity?

Maybe...........just maybe........Christianity itself.............is tripe

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 05:27 PM
link   

As long as both sides look down their noses at each other the only thing that will happen is increasing hatred between both groups.

That benefits nobody on either side.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 05:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf

As long as both sides look down their noses at each other the only thing that will happen is increasing hatred between both groups.

That benefits nobody on either side.

Exactly.
Sadly dichotomy is the essence of the human condition. Hence peace on Earth is a matter of conflict and unending turmoil and therefore an unattainable status quo and sadly must remain a dream.
edit on 1/4/15 by HumansEh because: beer

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 05:40 PM
link   

I agree.. All we can do is handle ourselves better than the status quo.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 05:42 PM
link   

a reply to: CB328

I am usually willing argue anything, but really you want to talk about Christians pushing sharia law???

Trying to turn the west into a theocracy.... Hyperbole I am hoping..

Sharia law was being used as a metaphor for theocracy. No, it's not hyperbole. The Religious Right consists of 12 to 14 million people in the U.S.. Christian Reconstructionism (aka Dominionism or Theonomy) is the underlying philosophy of the Religious Right and it absolutely does promote the destruction of democracy and replacement with theocracy. But don't believe me, go to Christian Reconstructionist websites and read their own words.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Indeed and here is the quo
G'wan click it!
clickin' all over the world.........
edit on 1/4/15 by HumansEh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 05:52 PM
link   
University Presidents should keep their religion in their homes and churches.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 05:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
a reply to: Jamie1

Well he also decided to send it out to all of his students using the school e-mail.

A student took offense to some of the claims of the video and 'contacted', I would say it is the toss up who got ahold, of who fist the atheist organization.

I would say this falls into that grey area.
I wonder how much of this type of talk enters into his lectures.

Grey area?

You mean a dude who works for a state school sending an email is the equivalent of the Congress of the United States passing a law that establishes a religion?

Please explain what is grey about this area. You can't truly believe emailing this video to students it the equivalent of Congress passing a law that establishes a religion.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 05:58 PM
link   

No it is not a grey area there.
It is a grey area in how much we should allow it our schools, I should have clarified.

This was more then a man just expressing his opinion, it was the delivery of that expression and who he expressed it to being in the position he is in.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 06:03 PM
link   

I think the idea here is that the professor used school resources to send a video out. Since school resources were used to send the video and the professor works for the school, this video can be argued to show that the school's views and the professor's views are the same. This is why many live tv shows start with a disclaimer saying that the views of the network may not align with the views of the tv show. The school is a public school that uses public money for funding. And public money comes from Congress.

Public schools aren't allowed to show support for any religions since their funding comes from the state.
edit on 4-1-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 06:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

No it is not a grey area there.
It is a grey area in how much we should allow it our schools, I should have clarified.

This was more then a man just expressing his opinion, it was the delivery of that expression and who he expressed it to being in the position he is in.

Thanks for the clarification.

Maybe it should be the other way around.

Maybe employees of schools should be able to express the beliefs, exercise there freedom of religion like the Constitution guarantees, and then let the market decide if kids want to go there.

And before you raise the taxes to schools with dudes talking about religion issue, ponder that there are unlimited places our taxes go that we have no say over. If it was widespread, and only one religion received funding, then yeah, that's a problem.

Maybe the pendulum has swung too far. The 1st Amendment talks about freedom of speech, not freedom from speech.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 06:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Public schools aren't allowed to show support for any religions since their funding comes from the state.

Long may it be so.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Link not working. So let's include the exact letter (in part) from the atheist group, from their website. (site has letter in full, also email sent by professor).

December 31, 2014 Jack Hawkins, Jr., Ph.D. Chancellor Office of the Chancellor 216 Adams Administration Building Troy, AL 36082 Phone: (334) 670-3200 Re: Disparaging New Year’s Email Dear Chancellor Hawkins, American Atheists is contacting you on behalf of a Troy University student, who is concerned about a video you sent to all students and staff in your end-of-year email on December 30. The video asserts that religion, particularly Judeo-Christian beliefs, are necessary to be moral, law-abiding citizens, and implies that those who do not attend church will be anti-democracy and anti-social members of society. Atheists are not a trivial minority. In Alabama alone, we represent 11% of the population, and statistically even higher numbers in universities and among college-aged residents; as many as 32% of people under age 30 are not religious. On behalf of the student who contacted us, the Alabama members of American Atheists, the thousands of atheists at Troy University, and the hundreds of millions of atheists worldwide who live productive, law-abiding lives without religion, we demand an apology from you for using the public university email system and your publicly funded position to disparage atheists and minority religious groups as well as perpetuating the discrimination and anti-patriotic sentiment against atheists in the United States.

news.atheists.org... in-mass-email/

edit on 4-1-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 06:38 PM
link   
For the record the school administrator is an idiot and should probably be fired.

Having lived on the edge of the bible belt for 10 years as a Catholic married to a witch and never once having a problem. I find it hard to believe that the religious right is all fired up to stamp out the infidels.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Thanks for that Annie!

I like that letter!

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 07:08 PM
link   

For the record the school administrator is an idiot and should probably be fired.

Having lived on the edge of the bible belt for 10 years as a Catholic married to a witch and never once having a problem. I find it hard to believe that the religious right is all fired up to stamp out the infidels.

Then I suggest you read Christian Reconstructionist websites and get on their mailing lists.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 07:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee
Link not working. So let's include the exact letter (in part) from the atheist group, from their website. (site has letter in full, also email sent by professor).

December 31, 2014 Jack Hawkins, Jr., Ph.D. Chancellor Office of the Chancellor 216 Adams Administration Building Troy, AL 36082 Phone: (334) 670-3200 Re: Disparaging New Year’s Email Dear Chancellor Hawkins, American Atheists is contacting you on behalf of a Troy University student, who is concerned about a video you sent to all students and staff in your end-of-year email on December 30. The video asserts that religion, particularly Judeo-Christian beliefs, are necessary to be moral, law-abiding citizens, and implies that those who do not attend church will be anti-democracy and anti-social members of society. Atheists are not a trivial minority. In Alabama alone, we represent 11% of the population, and statistically even higher numbers in universities and among college-aged residents; as many as 32% of people under age 30 are not religious. On behalf of the student who contacted us, the Alabama members of American Atheists, the thousands of atheists at Troy University, and the hundreds of millions of atheists worldwide who live productive, law-abiding lives without religion, we demand an apology from you for using the public university email system and your publicly funded position to disparage atheists and minority religious groups as well as perpetuating the discrimination and anti-patriotic sentiment against atheists in the United States.

Yeah, I read that too.

Typical of the world we live in where everybody looks for ways to be offended.

The dude did not mention atheists, or disparage them in any way. Watch the video.

The Constitution guarantees freedom OF speech, not freedom FROM speech.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 07:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jamie1

originally posted by: Annee

Yeah, I read that too.

Typical of the world we live in where everybody looks for ways to be offended.

The dude did not mention atheists, or disparage them in any way. Watch the video.

The Constitution guarantees freedom OF speech, not freedom FROM speech.

Let's see, you are anti Obama and anti atheists.

Be careful, you are beginning to reveal yourself.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join