It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could climate change stop the next ice age?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I'm surprised no one mentioned this, but we're still tech. in an Ice Age to begin with. The tail end of one if I remember correctly.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 09:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Entreri06

Absolutely wrong.

Plants are already adapting to changes, trees are growing 10% faster and smaller plants at even greater percentages. Most of the co2 scrubbed comes from algae in the oceans, and I'm willing to bet are also responding to increased levels. Nature adapts, it's something I don't understand, are global warmists evolution deniers?
edit on 4-1-2015 by GodEmperor because: spelling

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 10:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: GodEmperor

Absolutely wrong.

Plants are already adapting to changes, trees are growing 10% faster and smaller plants at even greater percentages. Most of the co2 scrubbed comes from algae in the oceans, and I'm willing to bet are also responding to increased levels. Nature adapts, it's something I don't understand, are global warmists evolution deniers?

So your saying evolutions not real either??? I'm thinking your not adding all the poisons were adding and all the trees were clearing from the planet as well. More CO2 + less plants to scub it = jacked up weather patterns... Then again maybe we couldn't nuke the planet to glass... Maybe god wouldn't let us... Lmao...

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 10:40 PM
link   
To be perfectly honest, we must say that we know nothing about what cause ice age and why they come back at regular interval. So to speak about this phantasy called man made warming aka climate change and the effect on ice age is futile.

Just to get a perspective, here is a paper about a very strange synchronicity of the ~1500 years climatic cycle (DO/Bond events):
'RAHMSTORF, S. - Timing of Abrupt Climate Change - A Precise Clock' (use google to get it)

It show that the cause of such precision in recurence can only be attributed to orbiting body. Maybe the dreaded planet X.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 08:12 AM
link   

fyi - Transitioning from a warming to cooling period IS "climate change."

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 09:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: soficrow

No it's not... That's the climate changing... Climate change is the scientifically agreed upon theory that says humans adding CO2 to the atmosphere will heat the planet causing extreme weather patterns....obviously...

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 09:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: PeterMcFly
To be perfectly honest, we must say that we know nothing about what cause ice age and why they come back at regular interval. So to speak about this phantasy called man made warming aka climate change and the effect on ice age is futile.

Just to get a perspective, here is a paper about a very strange synchronicity of the ~1500 years climatic cycle (DO/Bond events):
'RAHMSTORF, S. - Timing of Abrupt Climate Change - A Precise Clock' (use google to get it)

It show that the cause of such precision in recurence can only be attributed to orbiting body. Maybe the dreaded planet X.

LMAO !!!!! No way you went all nemesis on me!!! ROFL !!! You do know the WMAP experiment looked in ALL directions with Infrared and there weren't any orbiting bodies (aka Planet X) .

So just out of curiosity, how are they getting 97% of the worlds scientists, every global news source not american conservatism themed, as well as every world leader on board with there conspiracy to.... I have no idea what they would be going for...it would cost more to pay off or scam thre world then your gonna make off the percentage you get to steal from a carbon tax... Oh I know, it's a conspiracy by the devil to discredit Jesus!!! Lmao ROFL!!!

I can't believe you went Planet X!!!! Classic!!!

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 10:04 AM
link   

That's the climate changing...

So the climate changing is not climate change? Interesting.

Climate change is the scientifically agreed upon theory that says humans adding CO2 to the atmosphere will heat the planet causing extreme weather patterns....obviously...

Most people call that anthropogenic climate change or anthropogenic global warming (AGW).

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 11:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Entreri06

originally posted by: soficrow

No it's not... That's the climate changing... Climate change is the scientifically agreed upon theory that says humans adding CO2 to the atmosphere will heat the planet causing extreme weather patterns....obviously...

Erm. No. The big question is about cause and the role human activities play in influencing climate change - generally referred to as anthropogenic climate change or something like that. And how fast shifts might happen. ...There's no doubt our planet's climate is unstable and has changed frequently since its formation - but imho, human activities DO influence the kind and speed of change.

Good on you for trying but maybe do a bit more reading up on the topic?

edit on 5/1/15 by soficrow because: sp

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 11:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

Climate change is the scientifically agreed upon theory that says humans adding CO2 to the atmosphere will heat the planet causing extreme weather patterns....obviously...

Most people call that anthropogenic climate change or anthropogenic global warming (AGW).

So attempting to focus on word play instead of discussing a topic is an attempt to prove what???? "Climate change sounds like the climate changing!" Dur duh dumb.....

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 11:25 AM
link   

So attempting to focus on word play instead of discussing a topic is an attempt to prove what???? "Climate change sounds like the climate changing!" Dur duh dumb.....

Dur duh dumb...

You told Sophicrow that 'the climate changing is not climate change' .

Would you like to expound upon that just a bit.... so the 'dummies' here can relate.

ALSO,

Would you admit that AGW and climate change are not the same thing?

OOPs, I almost forgot:

So attempting to focus on word play instead of discussing a topic is an attempt to prove what????

It IS proof of your lack of knowledge in the subject.
edit on b000000312015-01-05T11:27:12-06:0011America/ChicagoMon, 05 Jan 2015 11:27:12 -06001100000015 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

DON'T DO IT Entreri06 ! ...AGW is a subset of climate change.

PS. Love ya butcherguy. ; )

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: soficrow

PS. Love ya butcherguy. ; )

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Back in the 70s it was assumed that interglacials all lasted 10,000 years and since the last one began 10,000 years ago, a new ice age was imminent.

Since then we have found out much more about glacial cycles, and the current belief is that the next ice age may not start for another 10,000 years, or possibly even longer.

Although we entered the Neoglacial around 4-5,000 years ago, this will not result in a full blown glacial. But it does appear that AGW is countering the Neoglacial and may even return us to a second Climatic Optimum.

There is also the issue of "little ice ages" and the effect reduced solar activity may have on global climate. Some have speculated that reduced solar activity through the first half of the 21st century may cause an new "little ice age". Some expected us to be in it by now (some say we are in it!) ..... But there is no evidence this will happen and if it does, it does seem quite likely that AGW will likewise counter the effects. 2014 looks like being the warmest year on record according to surface measurements (and even satellite measurements show a warming trend, and no cooling at all).

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Dur duh dumb...

You told Sophicrow that 'the climate changing is not climate change' .

Would you like to expound upon that just a bit.... so the 'dummies' here can relate.

ALSO,

OOPs, I almost forgot:

So attempting to focus on word play instead of discussing a topic is an attempt to prove what????

It IS proof of your lack of knowledge in the subject.

She was using the same word play you are. Pretending like the theory of climate chAnge is just the climate changing is just word play. Pretending like some one is talking about one, when you know they mean the other to make a false point is word play.

If your refering to the theory everyone not conservative America agrees with as climate change or AGW, or basically the fact that were putting enough extra CO2 in the atmosphere to heat the planet and screw with Global weather patterns. It's irrelevant what you call it.

I would classify climate change as the change over period between ice ages that happens without us. While the "Theory of Climate change" or AGW is the us adding enough CO2 to actually screw things up.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Man has always wanted to control everything. The idea that man is changing the weather, which I don't doubt, apparently can only be solved by man controlling climate. Instead of 'converting' the nonbelievers, how about actually solving the issue? Maybe go invent some multi-billion dollar money hole that can scrub out co2, instead of simply letting nature run its' course.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 11:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: GodEmperor

Man has always wanted to control everything. The idea that man is changing the weather, which I don't doubt, apparently can only be solved by man controlling climate. Instead of 'converting' the nonbelievers, how about actually solving the issue? Maybe go invent some multi-billion dollar money hole that can scrub out co2, instead of simply letting nature run its' course.

That's an excellent point. Should we "cloud the sky" like in a scifi move? Put some ice makers on the poles.

Most likely we just make things worse.. Like before mentioned scifi move lol..

Most likely we just adapt. Countries fall and we move away from the coasts.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 04:26 AM
link   

I would classify climate change as the change over period between ice ages that happens without us. While the "Theory of Climate change" or AGW is the us adding enough CO2 to actually screw things up.

You just excluded ice ages from being part of climate change.
I submit that ice sheets growing into formerly temperate areas and then receding constitutes change, change of a climatic variety.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 04:46 AM
link   
No temperature change for the last 16 years, pole ice at its greatest since 1988, two really bad winters in north America, great lake ice two weeks early, ice on the great lakes until June last year, snow expected in Israel, snow in Cairo last year, year before snow in New Zealand for the first time in 75 years, Judith Curry, a climatologist, says temperature standstill could last another decade, I don't know what it all means, I'll have to wait and see.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: pikestaff
No temperature change for the last 16 years, pole ice at its greatest since 1988, two really bad winters in north America, great lake ice two weeks early, ice on the great lakes until June last year, snow expected in Israel, snow in Cairo last year, year before snow in New Zealand for the first time in 75 years, Judith Curry, a climatologist, says temperature standstill could last another decade, I don't know what it all means, I'll have to wait and see.

And yet last year was still the hottest year on record.... I can't believe how people will be like " it's cold today in my specific spot in the world! So that means ALL of science must be working for Americas president!!! Ridiculous!!!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join