It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Reply Function

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I don't get it so I'm asking for help. So many seem to put the "a reply to" after the post, making it difficult to understand. If I don't know you are replying to someone, then how am I supposed to extrapolate what you are saying? If I read something then find out it's a reply to a specific post that changes the meaning.

Maybe something like the quote box that inserts the text properly? Don't know if that is possible but maybe somehow this could be rectified? I'm a wee bit tired of reading posts, many of which the end of the post isn't even displayed on my screen where the reply info is at, then getting to the end and realizing I didn't get the full context.

There just has to be a better way of doing this. So many posts I read that are like this and I do believe there has to be a better way of making posts readable and understandable. If that's a word. Well, anyway, if it's not you still get my point.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: TheSpanishArcher

I'm a bit confused.

For example..if you just click on the link above these two sentences, you'll see your reply in full, pop up in a box.

Do you mean that members put the reply to at the BOTTOM of their posts as opposed to the top?

Cause that's just a preference thing among members I think. I've noticed it as well, and think it's a bit senseless, but to each their own I suppose.

Was that what you were getting at?

~Tenth

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Agreed. It's distracting and confusing.

Although I will admit that it's still MUCH better than the posts that are obviously a reply to someone... but there's no indication to which one.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 10:52 AM
link   
After some changes to the site a few months ago I noticed that the cursor would (at least some times) default to above the reply tag and that is when members started posting like that. I've gotten into the habit of moving the cursor below the tag before typing a reply now and I presume a lot of others have as well.

edit on 4-1-2015 by CraftBuilder because: of the dolfins.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Fade to Bob Deniro staring into a mirror: You typing to Me?

Arnold: "Whatch U typing 'bout Willis"?

Have a Onederful Sabbath.. Now from Erie, PA. the Oh needers.. That's Oneders, One get it?

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Like this you mean, I do that because it's easier to type a reply and then hit a few spaces but I see how it coud be confusing.

Also It took me a while to figure out that you could click the reply and read the post it's repling to.

a reply to: CraftBuilder

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

TTP, exactly. If the "a reply to" is at the end of the post how am I or anyone else supposed to know they are replying to someone? It changes the meaning of a post, seeing that reply at the end, and is really quite frustrating. All the changes done to ATS over the years to make it more readable and such why can't something simple(I'd hope) be done to make the posts make some sense also?

It may sound like I'm nitpicking, and it is a little bit, but this happens so much that I thought maybe this could get fixed. I'm not a geek but I would think that it wouldn't take much to get this straight.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 11:17 AM
link   
It happens because hitting the reply button automatically puts the cursor in front of the reply to info you're replying to. You have to actively move the cursor to the right of or underneath the reply to info youre replying to to get the "a reply to[post=18835075]tothetenthpower/post] to show at the top. Hitting reply and simply starting your post will put the reply to info at the end of the post.
If anything they just need to change the system so that the cursor always shows after the reply to information.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Yeah that's what I meant lola reply to: CraftBuilder

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 11:23 AM
link   

I have seen the error of my ways!

Hopefully if we converse again you will have clarification from the off.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

LOL! I can't really chastise anyone for it as I honestly think most people don't think about it or even notice it. In a real life conversation people usually know who is being replied to. The internet, not so much.

So instead of causing fights by bitching at members for a rather insignificant "infraction" I put it up here. If nothing happens then I deal with it but maybe something can be done with some lines of code. No rules or regulations added to the T&C, just a, possibly, simple solution to make ATS posts easier to understand.

It's one of my two pet peeves around ATS but the other, .gifs, I can't really say anything about as it is what it is. People are going to use them I just think they are massively distracting. Oh well, can't have everything. Maybe I can get one little irritant solved though.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Nah man I get it.

It's just BB Code though and there's no real way to hard code it.

If members don't notice themselves and start the line under the code, that'll happen always.

I usually see it with newer members or folks whom I assume have never used forums before.

~Tenth

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 11:52 AM
link   

It's driving me crazy trying break the habit now!

the only bug bear I have is whoever has those birds flying around on there tag line.

It's worse in the summer time when I am in my workshop swatting them off the screen.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 12:15 PM
link   

You realize we can choose the ways that'its displayed? I can even do both in the same post. Its an individual choice.. .not a standard method.

Reply to: The Reply Function: TheSpanishArcher
edit on 07-31-2014 by mysterioustranger because: spl

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

How many could you do without annoying a mod and getting your post removed?

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Yeah, well, it was worth a try.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

"Bad" habits are meant to be broken, right? Maybe no one else cares but it helps me so thanks.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 02:47 AM
link   

One benefit of the "reply to" function is that it sends a message to the inbox of the person you replied to, notifying them there was a reply to their post. That's the first thing I do when coming here is check for "replies". Click on the envelope in the upper right, and then the cloud icon for replies, and then there's an inbox and outbox.

And if I'm on the board reading someone's reply to someone else, all I have to do is click on the username of the person they're replying to, and it shows me the conversation. You could use the "quote" function when replying, which some people do, depending on the circumstances.

After taking a little time getting used to it, the "reply to" feature is quite helpful IMO.

As far as the "reply to" ending up at the bottom of someone's post, it is a little bothersome but not that often.
edit on 1 by AreUKiddingMe because: (no reason given)

top topics

join