It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My First Book, Bloodline, voted Top 50 Indie Book of 2014!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: queenofsheba
a reply to: westcoast You're an inspiration! I remember reading your short story in a writing contest on ATS a while back and thought it was awesome. I appreciate how the internet has freed up artists/writers, etc. to have a venue that is widely accessible to all. I appreciate the information you've shared about self publishing. Happy New Year, Westcoast!

Thank you! Those short stories were the first time I had written anything creative in years. I really think they helped jump start my interest back to writing a full-length story.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 01:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: cleverhans
First off congratulations!
I know there are a lot of aspiring writers on this site, myself included, so it's wonderful to see success from other members.

I'm curious on your approach to writing. Did you outline the plot first and fill in the gaps? Or did you just start writing in sort of an improvised manner?

I know that every writer is different. For example, Stephen King doesn't use an outline. However, Stephen King I am NOT. I get totally and thoroughly lost in my own story if I don't have a complete outline, synopsis and chapter by chapter guide down. Now, the story will continue to grow and morph as I write, and I always allow for that, but I have to know where I'm going when I start. You know...come to think of it, that is one of the things about Stephen Kings books that irritated me. I felt like there was a point towards the end, where the meat behind the story drops off and it ends abruptly, almost like a cop-out. maybe it was because of a lack of an outline? I mean, I think King is one of the most brilliant writers of all time, but anyone who has read a lot of his books will know what I'm talking about. (Like The Stand)

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: daftpink

a reply to: westcoast

Huge congrats to you. As a writer myself i know how difficult it is to see these projects to the end. I'm still trying to finish my novel that I started 4 years ago.

I guess my question is this - how did you fit writing your novel in to the daily trappings of life ie kids, study, work, laundry etc etc!

I'm worried I'll never get mine finished or someone else will come up with a similar idea before I get mine out.

I had a peek at the amazon link. Your book sounds like something I would definitely pick up off the shelf
hopefully in a few years time I'll be posting about the publication of my novel!

Peace and well done

For me, this answer is a mixed bag. One of the main reasons I turned back to my love of writing was to find self-worth and a daily goal to keep me going. I was diagnosed with MS almost five years ago. It is fortunately very mild (I have several small brain lesions) but it's onset was optic neuritis and then horrible fatigue, etc and I was doing WAY too much at the time. (working as a tech in an ER, volutnerring as a FF/EMT/Support officer, and teaching CPR at 4 different places) I had to cut back on everything and eventually quit my job because they wouldn't change my 10 hr work shifts for me.

Anyway, long story short: Being an author was a goal since I was a little girl, and when I wrote some of the short stories here on ATS, it sparked something that had dimmed. I took my love for Scifi, and all of my top conspiracy theories, and created a story out of it.

What works for me, is to sit down in the morning when the house is still quite, light a candle, play some relaxation music and commit to one chapter a day. That is what works for me. But I HAVE to have a solid outline. I spent as much time on the outlines (think, dreaming, conspiring) as I did the writing.

Good luck with your work! Set small goals for yourself that you know you can meet, so that no matter what you are always moving forward, even if they are baby steps!

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 01:48 PM
link   

I am so proud of you! How very exciting! Much luck to you on future writing endeavors! HUGS!!!!

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I'll be surprised if your post here doesn't inspire others to start writing.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 08:49 PM
link   
OK, kid. I just bought it, I think. These new fangled kindle to android download thingies are just a bit scary to this 65 year old geezer. Got my fingers crossed. You got me with the PNW. Beenn here all my life.
edit on 1/4/2015 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 09:07 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

Awww...thank you! The first story is all in Washington, and the second two spread over into Montana.
(well, and beyond

I really do hope that you like it! I'm eager to find out what ATS'rs think of it!!

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Well done

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 08:50 PM
link   
a reply to: HelenConway

Thank you!! I appreciate all the support here at ATS very much!

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Many congratulations! Keep writing!

F&S&

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: soficrow

Thank you! I plan on it. In fact, I am currently half way through my next middle grade mystery.

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Just a little update!

I've been trying to get out into the public more and do some signings, and promote my trilogy more through social media. There are SO many ebooks out there, it is nearly impossible to get noticed.

One way to do this is by winning legitimate writing contests. I am thrilled that Bloodline is a finalist in the IAN Book of the Year Award. it's an international contest that gives out over 10,000 in prizes, so it's a decent sized contest.

I'm still in the running for Book of the Year, and I'll find out on August 15th. Wish me luck!!!!

edit on 4-8-2015 by westcoast because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Heads up!

I have the whole trilogy (in ebook, box set format) on sale today for just 0.99! It's on a kindle countdown deal, so will go up to 1.99 tomorrow. It's normal price is 6.99, so this is quite a savings.

Check it out!

Amazon Link
edit on 28-8-2015 by westcoast because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 11:59 AM
link   
congratulations

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Just wanted to let you know that the third book in the trilogy, Descent, is on sale for only 0.99!

(And a reminder as to why I post about these here: This trilogy is rife with conspiracy theories, including ancient aliens, crystal skull and many other topics that I have discussed at length here on ATS over the years. I really think that any ATSr would get a kick out of this story!!!)

Blurb:

Sides are chosen when an ancient ruler returns to claim Earth as his prize and war ensues. A reluctant pawn, Alex is recruited to lead the resistance. Although her friends and family fight beside her, she struggles to find the strength to fulfill her destiny. Unsure of what she’s become, Alex battles her own tormented emotions to find the truth. Can she rise above the darkness? Or will she ultimately descend into its cold embrace?

Descent is Book Three in the Forgotten Origins Trilogy

Amazon Link
edit on 8-10-2015 by westcoast because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-10-2015 by westcoast because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join