It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republican Governor learns his tax cuts for the rich didn't work

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Nobody gave anybody anything. The Government just didn't TAKE as much as some people think that they should have. Funny how Democrats always phrase tax cuts as giving people money.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 11:56 AM
link   

No one can logically argue that taxes don't discourage economic growth

Obviously you can, if that were true then all the red states would have booming economies and the biggest economies wouldn't be in blue states.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: CB328

Except Texas, as red as it gets, is the nations second strongest economy.

And the strongest economy in the nation....North Dakota...

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 01:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
At the end of the day, we are still talking about Kansas... We aren't talking about a state that everyone is dying to move to and that also has a diversity of well paying industries. I'm not sure tax cuts alone can help Kansas. You also need to cut spending. I'd need more facts and details, but if these tax cuts were implemented last year, I can't realistically expect that you would see this major improvement in a year.

The funny thing about liberals is they will argue that they need tax something to discourage it - cigarettes, big gulp drinks, fuel, cars, guns etc. Yet, they can't apply that same logic to economic growth. Taxing all those other things discourages consumption, yet raising taxes on people's income doesn't affect the economy?

They did cut spending so much so that they had to close schools.

Just admit the GOP philosophy DOESN’T WORK!

Chris Christie tried a similar thing in NJ
And they have the worst economy in the country now in Jersey

What’s amazing is that with all this proof of the bankruptcy of GOP economic ideas they still have been voted in!

Its goes to show us that this is ordained

And when they try this lunacy on a national basis

THE COUNTRY WILL GO DOWN

Its not about liberal versus conservative it’s about stupidity, narrow thinking and greed versus common sense and decency

edit on 4-1-2015 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: CB328

Obviously you can, if that were true then all the red states would have booming economies and the biggest economies wouldn't be in blue states.

You obviously missed the point about OTHER FACTORS beyond just tax cuts that affect how well a state does economically. As I explained in a previous post, there is more to it than just tax rates. In most areas like CA, NYC, Chicago, and other major urban areas, people are kept their by jobs, industries, and other constraints that make it hard to just make a binary decision around high taxes and low taxes. A lot of the people in NYC pay exorbitant taxes because the industries they can't really move elsewhere to be a Wall Street player or maybe a top fashion model. They are kind of a trapped. Although, you are seeing a lot of those earners moving to lower cost areas now as the internet has made it more feasible. However, NYC is still the center of the world for a lot of industries.

The same with CA. The same with Chicago.

What you really need to look at is how most of the states are actually RED when you get outside of the major urban areas. This is why most GOVERNORS now are Republican. Then if you really want to look at results, you will see the same crumbling urban environments. You said it yourself, Democrats run the major urban centers therefore you dumbasses are responsible for the failing schools, bloated budgets, crime and violence, etc that are concentrated in major urban areas and solidly under Democrat rule. Own your failings.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I'm stationed here in Kansas.

Junction City has a tax rate of 10% on just about everything.

The roads are torn up, businesses hardly ever last and the cost of living there is ridiculous.

Manhattan Kansas taxes quite a bit less, is a well maintained and beautiful little city, further away from base, which means I gotta get up an hour earlier just to get to PT in the morning. I'd rather put up with the commute than ever live in Junk Town.

Kansas has a patchwork of cities and counties with different tax rates. Often times what is done at the state level has little effect on cities and counties.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Giving them cash does not spur the economy. Unless they invest in something new. Wealthy people have access to that money without subsidies. To create a job you need a new product or sell more of a product. Giving to those that spend all their income would sell more products and create jobs, more revenue for those businesses and more tax revenue. Giving it to the rich is not an automatic win, it's a wish and repayment for bribes ( lobbying ) Giving it to the poor or not taking it from them, is guaranteed win as they will spend it guaranteed. Rich complain so much about social programs for the poor. So funny when they love them for themselves. If it were the other way around, there would be less need for those social programs.a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 02:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell

originally posted by: Edumakated
At the end of the day, we are still talking about Kansas... We aren't talking about a state that everyone is dying to move to and that also has a diversity of well paying industries. I'm not sure tax cuts alone can help Kansas. You also need to cut spending. I'd need more facts and details, but if these tax cuts were implemented last year, I can't realistically expect that you would see this major improvement in a year.

The funny thing about liberals is they will argue that they need tax something to discourage it - cigarettes, big gulp drinks, fuel, cars, guns etc. Yet, they can't apply that same logic to economic growth. Taxing all those other things discourages consumption, yet raising taxes on people's income doesn't affect the economy?

They did cut spending so much so that they had to close schools.

Just admit the GOP philosophy DOESN’T WORK!

Chris Christie tried a similar thing in NJ
And they have the worst economy in the country now in Jersey

What’s amazing is that with all this proof of the bankruptcy of GOP economic ideas they still have been voted in!

Its goes to show us that this is ordained

And when they try this lunacy on a national basis

THE COUNTRY WILL GO DOWN

Its not about liberal versus conservative it’s about stupidity, narrow thinking and greed versus common sense and decency

So I'm guessing the reason all the large cities are in financial ruin is because they have GOP mayors and city councils?

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 03:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010
a reply to: Jamie1

Liberals raise taxes to punish behaviors, and yet argue against lowering taxes to encourage growth.

No they raise them because unlike the Republicans they realise that states have bills to pay. Also it has been proven just like in Kansas if you cut taxes it won't encourage job growth unless you have something to offset it. Take Texas for example they cut taxes and still had job growth why? Because of a huge oil industry and a missive amount of illegal immigrants willing to work for pocket change not all states have this. Cutting taxes to encourage job growth doesn't work on a national level and on average it doesn't work on a state level.

Instead of talking stupid sh!t how about facts:

FACT - Kansas is ranked 10th in the country in unemployment rate at 4.2%

FACT - Texas, with no personal income tax, is ranked 16th at 4.9%

FACT - California, with a top tax rate of 13.3% is ranked 49th in at 7.2%.

Think on that. California's unemployment rate is 71% higher than that of Kansas.

The context of of the OP judging Kansas in terms of job growth in Kansas City makes zero sense. The unemployment rate in Kansas is already top 10 in the country.

The premise of using the 1,9000 vs 8,4000 new jobs is totally idiotic in context of everything, especially when the geographic area being measured is 1/4 the size.

Math and Goolge are your friends.

Source

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 03:53 PM
link   
so what happened to Detroit? was that a case of too much taxes or not enough taxes?

When it comes to money, including taxes, I`ve always said, it`s easier to spend less money than it is to make more.
If you think you need to raise taxes to get more money,maybe you just need to spend less money.

Raising taxes only serves to drive people with money away from your town or state. spending less money on welfare and other government handouts will drive away people who don`t have money and don`t pay you any taxes anyway.

as Detroit found out the hard way, raising taxes too much is just killing the goose that lays the golden eggs.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 04:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jamie1

The point is true. Liberals raise taxes to punish behaviors, and yet argue against lowering taxes to encourage growth.
So why don't liberals simply admit that lowering taxes will drive behavior just like raising taxes?

Because it doesn't - "trickle down" is utterly discredited ab solutely everywhere it has been tried.

Someone made the claim that "rich folks" investing money makes jobs - and it does - but it doesn't make jobs locally - "rich folks" investing go where the profit is - mainly Asia these days. They build factories or invest in multi-nationals that build factories in places where they can make the most profit - that is capitalism, and it works well for them in a deregulated world where they can move the money around freely wherever the profits are highest - which usually equates to where the pay is lowest.

The counter point is that if the lowest earning 25% get more money then they spend it where they live - they buy bread and cheese and butter and beer - that makes more jobs locally.

You'd think that "consrvatives" would be in favour of that, wouldn't you......

(post by ManBehindTheMask removed for a manners violation)

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 04:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: CB328

Do you ever google anything?

Richest states, scroll down

Fastest Growing Economies

Looks like mostly red states.......weird, I challenge you to look up the top 15 states with the lowest unemployment as well, hell ill give you top 5.......(hint: they arent blue states) your premise is invalid

Again, I think your trolling because anyone who can take two seconds to google can see this is false
edit on 1/4/2015 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 05:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499
Nobody gave anybody anything. The Government just didn't TAKE as much as some people think that they should have. Funny how Democrats always phrase tax cuts as giving people money.

when you get the bill at a restaurant are they taking your money?

well i suppose you could argue they are taking your money but you received something in return did you not? is it unfair that someone pays a higher rate for their meal because they ordered lobster instead of salad?
i would desperately like to see you in circumstances absolutely devoid of government spending

in fact i believe if the government simply ceased to exist the kinds of people in question are the ones that face losing the most

SNIP
edit on 1/4/2015 by bigfatfurrytexan because: We Expect Civility And Decorum In All Topics

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 08:20 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 09:15 PM
link   
" Republican Governor learns his tax cuts for the rich didn't work "

Sounds more like the cuts did work.

(post by sirhumperdink removed for a manners violation)

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Omg this is effing hilarious.

The GD BIGOTRY runs deep on this site.

Apparently tax cuts only 'work' when it's for the 'poor'.

They 'never' work for the 'rich'.

LOL wow.
edit on 5-1-2015 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask

Do you ever google anything?

Richest states, scroll down

Fastest Growing Economies

Looks like mostly red states.......weird, I challenge you to look up the top 15 states with the lowest unemployment as well, hell ill give you top 5.......(hint: they arent blue states) your premise is invalid

Again, I think your trolling because anyone who can take two seconds to google can see this is false

Do you read your sources?

Arthur B. Laffer himself is the economist in close coordination with Governor Brownback of Kansas. You should have noticed in your second source that it says this:

By Arthur B. Laffer, Stephen Moore and Jonathan Williams

Oh, well look at that! You might also have noticed this:

Limited Government · Free Markets · Federalism

Hmm... seems like it might be a wee bit biased, no?

Why, let's look at who is dead last in the ranking - New York! Let's look at the economic stats:
46.6% GDP growth since 2002 (rank 28)
4.4% non-farm payroll growth since 2003 (rank 21)

What about one of the super fantastic states - #3 Indiana! Let's look again at the economic stats:
43.1% GDP growth since 2002 (rank 34)
0.5% non-farm payroll growth since 2003 (rank 38)

Wait, how has New York been ranked 49 or 50 since 2003 and Indiana ranked between 12 and 24 since 2003 with stats like that?

It just doesn't make any sense, does it? Oh, wait a second, check out the blue box on the right. Indiana is tied for #1 in Minimum Wage... at $7.25, while New York is #39 at $8.00, so I guess a slightly higher minimum wage is A Bad Thing even though the cost of living is vastly worse in New York.

Seriously, how do people believe this #?

edit: Hahahahah I went through the top few states and the bottom few states, and plugged in the ECONOMIC OUTLOOK rankings in the blue box. It looks like the state ranking is just summing those rank values and saying LESS = GOOD, MORE = BAD. Ideological insanity.
edit on 11Mon, 05 Jan 2015 11:59:07 -0600America/ChicagovAmerica/Chicago1 by Greven because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Greven

Yes I did, if you dont like that source, then google "Top GDP states" and "States with the lowest unemployment"

Youll get the same results, again most of them are red states

If you dont like my two sources find youre own, the facts are still the facts no matterwho is reporting them

LOL and look at the states with the highest minimum wage? where do they rank?

Youre right, i cant believe "you people" believe this stuff either........
edit on 1/5/2015 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join